Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Todays BTCC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Todays BTCC

What does everyone reckon to it?

As a series from a paying spectators point of view.

Personally this year is first time ive bothered to venture to the BTCC. Im normally found frequenting the forests or tarmac lanes watching rally cars, or watching 5 lap thrashes of rallcross cars.
    Have to say on the whole from Donnington and Croft ive been impressed so far.
    Getting into and out of both circuits has been a plesant suprise. Croft rallycross superprix is a fantastic event in October but its murder to get out the circuit, this weekend it was a doddle no que just straight out (was a tad muddy though)!

Ive discovered you need to get you viewing spot early if you want best places. Certainly at Croft!

So far id say value for money at online ticket prices, mind you a day entertainment even at gate prices is better deal than 90 mins at a footy match.

One grip though, a race programme at croft was £6.00, now that was over priced, concidering its content.

So now for Snet my next trip to one of Mr Palmers tracks mmmmm.
    Will I go to Silverstone? Dunno how many miles away from the track is the viewing area? Will I need military spec binoculars?

As for the series, its pretty good just needs another couple of "Works" teams. But in current climate not likely.
    Martin C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm still hooked so it must be good. I think the support package helps it a lot - there is always something to do.
    Price is right - programs I have given up on - always have the same stuff and way too expensive.
    Got my fav spots and I know if I want them I need to get there early.
    Somethings I don't like - back boards in garages stopping the kids from seeing the cars, too short pitlane walkabouts but too long on the grid.
    I've got friends racing all over the world.... good luck to you all.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Programmes
    Totally agree. A £1 increase on last year is shocking considering no more has been added. Still, it is a nice source of memories I guess. I mean, I read past Croft programmes I have the strange effect of memories seemingly flooding back about what it was like that year. For instance I read the 2004 programme and the first thing I think of is the debut of Mardi-Gras and John George in his Peugeot. I also think of just how competitive the Independent entries were. Especially WSR. So it is a nice source of memories. It is just the £1 increase cannot be justified.

Ticket Prices
    Cannot say as I haven't been going long enough I reckon to notice if any increase has happened or if it represents value for money. But I think it ain't bad for what you get.

Support Package
    Totally agree. The SEAT Cupra Championship and the ELF Clio Cup really make it competitive. I think in the SCC Jonathan Adam is starting to come into form at the right time to make the battle for the title really interesting. It is not now between Byford and Lawson, but it is now between Byford, Lawson and Adam. And in the Clios it's in-depth strength is amazing with the likes of Ben Winrow recognisable names doing well.

BTCC
    The top is yet again dominated by VXR but other look good for a decent points haul in every race like Turks, Shedden, Jackson, and SEAT's Jase and DT. Whilst the Independent Drivers trophy race looks really competitive with Jones, Turks and Jackson in a great 3-way scrap for the title.

When this season is over I will rate this season highly as a succesful and competitive one.
    Manufacturers Champs (06'), Teams Champs (07')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Haven't been to a race in the flesh for ages now. How much is it these days?
    If its got breasts or an engine, its gonna cost you...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Usually in the region of £20 for Croft.
    Manufacturers Champs (06'), Teams Champs (07')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abo
    Haven't been to a race in the flesh for ages now. How much is it these days?
    http://www.btcc.net/html/racedates.php

If you press on the view button by each of the circuits it tells you as part of the page that comes up, how much each of the circuits charges.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Most motorsport is expensive, you even get charged at rallying these days.

Don't think that the BTCC is overpriced particularly as you get a lot of racing (more so from the support like Ginettas and Clios). Trouble is if you have a family to take along too.

As someone who grew up watching Cleland, Hoy, Soper, Harvey et al duking it out I find that the racing is still not quite what I remember but then you always look at the past in tinted specs.

Personally I prefer to go rallying or save up and make a big trip (Classic Le Mans this year )
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jan Yeo
    Most motorsport is expensive, you even get charged at rallying these days.

Don't think that the BTCC is overpriced particularly as you get a lot of racing (more so from the support like Ginettas and Clios). Trouble is if you have a family to take along too.

As someone who grew up watching Cleland, Hoy, Soper, Harvey et al duking it out I find that the racing is still not quite what I remember but then you always look at the past in tinted specs.

Personally I prefer to go rallying or save up and make a big trip (Classic Le Mans this year )
    Thats funny that! Ive spent best part of 25 years following ralling and last 12 going to event after event for World level to BRC to single venue airfield events. Go back 4 years and id done 12 events by this time of year. This year I have yet to bother to attend 1!!!
    But quite the opposte ive just watched BTCC from my armchair from early to mid 80's to present day, but until this year never had the urge to go see it in the flesh.
    Rallying changed dramatically in last 6 years and not for the better sadly.
    Martin C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    From a family point of view i think the BTCC package is great. My two boys love the day out at the circuits.

Full days racing and a walk round the pits and meeting the star... who can complain !!!

You dont get that a Wolves or Man Utd they cost me 50 plus for two hour of football.

BTCC rules.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's also free for children (15 and under at Rockingham, Thruxton, Croft, Donington and Silverstone; 12 and under Brands, Oulton, Snetterton). The exception is Knockhill (7 and under).