Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

New engine changes for 2011

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67824

Looks like a possible move from 3.4 L V8 engines and towards 4 or 6 cylinder turbo engines. Honda will supply present engines for the next few years, but want competition when changes come along.
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sounds sensible; I can't imagine too many manufacturers would want to enter with the current regulations, as they'd be on a hiding to nothing with Honda having so many more years or experience with the formula.

I'm sure a sensible new engine formula for 2011 that had significant potential for R&D would be attractive to several engine makers, particularly if the cost was a fraction of, say, F1 development.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    2011? Ugh. That's a long wait...

I don't see how introducing 4 or 6 cylinder turbocharged engine equals environmentally concious racing. It seems to meet that engine manufacturers need to address two issues: using non-oil-based energy sources AND emitting fewer particulates and dangerous molecules into the atmosphere.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    So they'll have the new car in 2010 and new engine formula in 2011?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When a similar thread a few months ago hit this topic, I suggested and still feel that the ICS should invite the manufacturers to a conference to see where the manufacturers are heading. If that means 4 cylinder diesels or electric motors, let the manufacturers drive the decision. Then write the rules to support that decision. The only way to get buy in from manufacturers is to show them how they win with their investment in racing. Advertising by its self is not good enough in today's economy. They need the series to be their testing grounds. The series needs more manufacturers. This can be a win for both sides.

Mad_Hatter makes a good point. Seems to be a conflict in dates.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champcarray
    I don't see how introducing 4 or 6 cylinder turbocharged engine equals environmentally concious racing.
    A turbo 6-cylinder uses less fuel than a V8 for the same power.

Engine "downsizing" is one way for the US automakers to reach the new CAFE targets for fuel economy.

The idea is to give the consumer similar power and torque with a smaller turbo charged engine than a big v8.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
    So they'll have the new car in 2010 and new engine formula in 2011?
    I'm thinking the new engine in 2011 also means don't expect a new chassis before 2011 either. Looking like status quo for another 2 years.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBell
    I'm thinking the new engine in 2011 also means don't expect a new chassis before 2011 either. Looking like status quo for another 2 years.
    Yay!
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dataman1
    When a similar thread a few months ago hit this topic, I suggested and still feel that the ICS should invite the manufacturers to a conference to see where the manufacturers are heading.
    That's exactly what they are doing in June and hopefully ongoing from there. And according to Honda, they are all for it:

Erik Berkman, president of HPD, located in Santa Clarita, CA. "...We are delighted by the League's decision to welcome automotive manufacturers to Indianapolis next month. We look forward to the continued growth of IndyCar racing, and potential participation by additional engine manufacturers."

As far as the chassis/engine timing, nothing is set in stone. I'm sure they'll be worked on hand in hand.

Cottman or someone has a lot of work cut out for them and I do not envy them. Imagine trying to work out specs with a few rival manufacturers, without anybody throwing a fit, and THEN making it happen with a chassis manufacturer and engine builders...all while making it as safe as the Dallara has proven to be. Oh yeah, and it has to be exciting on superspeedways, road courses, bullrings, and street courses.

I hope they have the right people on this.
    YOUR FAVORITE DRIVER...
    is not half bad now that I think about it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by usgrandprix
    Cottman or someone has a lot of work cut out for them and I do not envy them. Imagine trying to work out specs with a few rival manufacturers, without anybody throwing a fit, and THEN making it happen with a chassis manufacturer and engine builders...all while making it as safe as the Dallara has proven to be. Oh yeah, and it has to be exciting on superspeedways, road courses, bullrings, and street courses.
    I'm happy one of the people that will be doing the job is Cotman as he is the best suited for it. If anyone can make this work, and convince TG that more then one chassis manufacturer should be involved, its Cotman.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!