Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts

Bridgestone - "some teams will take a risk - and cheat"

Interesting comments from Bridgestone's director of motorsport tyre development Hirohide Hamashima:
    Hamashima's stance on there being no need to delay the introduction of a ban on tyre warmers is stemmed partly from his belief that safety is not the real reason why teams want to continue using tyre blankets.
    Instead, he thinks some teams are more worried about their rivals gaining a competitive advantage by running tyres below a likely recommended minimum pressure that Bridgestone will introduce for the slick rubber.
    "The real concern is minimum pressure," said Hamashima. "They worry about minimum pressure. We suggest a minimum pressure to teams because we would like to keep tyres safe, but some teams will take a risk - and cheat. Other teams are worried about that, so they would like to keep the tyre warmers."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67967
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Interesting comments from Bridgestone's director of motorsport tyre development Hirohide Hamashima:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67967
    If Max wants to push anything for safety, it's the policing of Bridgestone's recommended psi limit.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    BS can recommend a minimum tyre pressure but is it enforceable in the rules. I though I knew them quite well but cannot remember a minimum tyre pressure.

If not, then the word Cheat is innapropiate.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    BS can recommend a minimum tyre pressure but is it enforceable in the rules. I though I knew them quite well but cannot remember a minimum tyre pressure.

If not, then the word Cheat is innapropiate.
    Well, it's more about the "what if...?" characteristics of underinflating the tyres. Sure they will warm up a lot quicker, but overheating and eventual failure would be the outcome. And everyone knows what happens when a tyre suddenly goes (Kovalainen in Spain). Although that incident did not relate to a tyre failure on it's own, it did cause it to delaminate immediately and cause loss of control.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monaro Doorslammer
    Well, it's more about the "what if...?" characteristics of underinflating the tyres. Sure they will warm up a lot quicker, but overheating and eventual failure would be the outcome. And everyone knows what happens when a tyre suddenly goes (Kovalainen in Spain). Although that incident did not relate to a tyre failure on it's own, it did cause it to delaminate immediately and cause loss of control.

It is a team decision to run whatever configuration they want and their responsibility to ensure that a driver is safe in doing so.

Just re-read the regs and there is no minimum tyre pressure. Only a stipulation of minimum depth at 1.4 bar.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It is a team decision to run whatever configuration they want and their responsibility to ensure that a driver is safe in doing so.

Just re-read the regs and there is no minimum tyre pressure. Only a stipulation of minimum depth at 1.4 bar.
    That's true, but my point is that Max, who always seems to be pushing regs round on issues of safety, should try and be proactive in this. I believe it would be a good safety step for the future.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I remember Tom Chilton in his first race back at Thruxton having a blinding race in the old Star Wars Civic.

He was amazing until the Tyres blew.

On chatting with the mechanics, it transpired that there wan no way he was ever going to finish but he would look outstanding because of the amount of toe-in (I think it was) they ran to get sponsors.

F1 teams are a little more responsible but I suppose it's always an issue.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

If not, then the word Cheat is inappropriate.
    Exactly!!

How can Hamashima use the word cheat if there is no rule governing minimum tyre pressure and Bridgestone only provides a recommended pressure?
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    How can Hamashima use the word cheat if there is no rule governing minimum tyre pressure and Bridgestone only provides a recommended pressure?
    That's what I thought was odd about his comment. Not only is there no rule, but he's talking about slicks that haven't even been introduced yet, and yet he's suggesting that some teams will cheat. Odd.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Unless it's been lost in translation?