Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Customer Cars

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_roadhog
    Been here before haven't we?? Ligier/Benetton, Ferrari/Sauber, RBR/STR.
    And, most famously, Shadow/Arrows - an occasion on which something was done. I know that that was a rather different affair, though!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    And, most famously, Shadow/Arrows - an occasion on which something was done. I know that that was a rather different affair, though!
    Yeah, didn't mention it because it was different. No one gave permission for the design to be swiped.

Sonic
    Success without honor is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your hunger, but it won't taste good

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_roadhog
    Yeah, didn't mention it because it was different. No one gave permission for the design to be swiped.

Sonic
    But the designers thought they didn't need permission to swipe it, because it was their design.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can't help thinking its a bit of a silly argument - the principle of customer cars has already been agreed for 2008, prize money aside, what difference is there in a year?

It is unlikely that any other team (other than Prodrive) will run customer cars in '08, so Williams & Spyker will still be stuffed.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grassrootsracer
    Another interesting point comes into play when the financial and points risk to backmarker teams is considered, as pointed out in a recent Autosport article:

"Teams like Spyker and Williams could lose several constructors' championship positions, and many millions of FOM payments, if both Super Aguri and Toro Rosso leapfrog them as a result of running customer cars."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55953

However, this smells of political BS and doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.

The way I see it, arbitration would be the best way to procede. Then we can get a firm ruling one way or the other.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    The way I see it, arbitration would be the best way to procede. Then we can get a firm ruling one way or the other.
    And the FIA following their normal operating procedure will...

"arbitrate this" until 2008...

when the problem solves itself.

mokin:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

From what I understand by reading FIA rulings in the past, there doesn't have to be that much different on one chassis to make it "unique" in the FIA's eyes.

Then again, I don't have a problem with customer cars as long as they aren't re-branded as something they aren't. In the 1970's, there were teams running customer cars all the time (I specifically recall Mark Donahue driving Penske McLarens) The grids were fuller and the racing was better. The question that comes up is that if a "customer" car wins or scores points, who gets the credit for the constructor's points? I think that the FIA should limit constructor's points to those scored by the team's two factory cars. Customer cars could earn driver's points, but not constructor points.
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think Super Aguri can use the RA106 chassis 'cuase they "say" it was made by Honda Japan, when the Honda F1 2006's chassis was made in Europe... It's ****ing crazy, but true, so I believe RBR would say they make their cars in England, when STR make theirs in Faenza...

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eloyf1
    I think Super Aguri can use the RA106 chassis 'cuase they "say" it was made by Honda Japan, when the Honda F1 2006's chassis was made in Europe... It's ****ing crazy, but true, so I believe RBR would say they make their cars in England, when STR make theirs in Faenza...
    The names of the two companies are nearly the same, but they may be registered as different companies.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout