Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurovision 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ah well, no Dustin, but it's still going to be a laugh.

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Estonia's song and performance tried to make fun of Eurovision, but this didn't help us far.

I was surprised that Belgium's and Ireland's unconventional 'songs' didn't make it into Top10, but I guess this once again proves, how important it is to have a lot of neighbours for succeeding in Eurovision. :
    It's but an old cliche.
    Montenegro, Slovenia, Moldova and Estonia usually have traditional " neighbours " but this time it didn't work.
    Romania hasn't neighbours and the song is boring but sometimes a good voice can do miracles.
    But the belgian song was rather stupid than unconventional and
    the irish turkey was plucked because the feathered indians looked silly.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Now I have a problem in that my fianceé hates Eurovision and we are supposed to be having friends around how can I manage to watch both Eurovision and Monaco qualifying when we are supposed to be entertaining?!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Eurovision is entertaining!

Susy and me are going oop north to her parents, who went out in the week and bought a new amp and speakers just because I criticised the sound quality last time we were there
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    9. Polonia - sensational voice but the singer spent too much time to get the faked tan
    Glad i wasn't the only one who thought she had marinated in fake tan.

The only reason I watch Eurovision is because I know what I am going to get - Terry Wogan slowly getting drunk and taking the proverbial out of everything, Baltic nations voting for each other, fake chemistry between presenters who think that Eurovision is the pinacle of their careers and watching just about every nation (except for the UK, and as evidenced last night Estonia and Ireland) taking the whole thing seriously!

Apparently the Swedish man in charge is not very happy with Sir Terry and the Beeb... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-Erichsen.html

As we pay more than our fair share for Eurovision, i advise Bjorn to go away and let us have our fun!
    I aim to live forever - so far so good...

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    It's but an old cliche.
    Montenegro, Slovenia, Moldova and Estonia usually have traditional " neighbours " but this time it didn't work.
    Romania hasn't neighbours and the song is boring but sometimes a good voice can do miracles.
    But the belgian song was rather stupid than unconventional and
    the irish turkey was plucked because the feathered indians looked silly.
    Romania is a Balkan state and is a slavic nation - this helps them a lot. : There are simply so many countries from this region with a similar cultural background that it's hard for the Western European states to compete against them.

Estonia has a few neighbours, but certainly not enough to compete against Balkan states. : Although to be honest, I haven't been impressed by our songs of the last few years either. Finnish rock tends to help them out (thanks to the votes of 'heavy' fans), we probably need to find our niche too.

The fact that Slovenia and Montenegro didn't make it into the finals really surprised me - usually almost all of the Balkan states have made it into the finals. :

Next year also Kosovo will participate - Western countries must divide themselves too to have more chances.

About Belgium and Ireland - at least they differed from others with something (which can also be said about Azerbaijan), but I remember nothing from the others. Just a grey mass.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    cant beat a bit of eurovision :

I cant see Great Britains winning at all or doing well for that fact. I heard a story yesterday that there are up to 5 times as many bets on great britian getting nul points than the actual winner of the eurovision song contest typical brits, no faith............
    If England ever perform at a World Cup, make sure you wake me up :p:
    Steven Gerrard- Modern Day Hero (On his day :p: )

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Romania is a Balkan state and is a slavic nation - this helps them a lot. : There are simply so many countries from this region with a similar cultural background that it's hard for the Western European states to compete against them.

Estonia has a few neighbours, but certainly not enough to compete against Balkan states. : Although to be honest, I haven't been impressed by our songs of the last few years either. Finnish rock tends to help them out (thanks to the votes of 'heavy' fans), we probably need to find our niche too.

The fact that Slovenia and Montenegro didn't make it into the finals really surprised me - usually almost all of the Balkan states have made it into the finals. :

Next year also Kosovo will participate - Western countries must divide themselves too to have more chances.

About Belgium and Ireland - at least they differed from others with something (which can also be said about Azerbaijan), but I remember nothing from the others. Just a grey mass.
    Punctually:
    1. Romania IS NOT a slavic state. ( and deep in my soul I hope it will never become one ).If you listern to our entry who's half in italian and half in romanian you'll see the similarities between the 2 languages.
    Our balkanic neighbours don't like us ( generally speaking ) and never give us points. The only traditional ally who never fails to give us 12 points is Spain.
    2. A few years ago Estonia managed to win and I'm not sure it was only because of the song's quality. It's a fact that the ex soviet states also give votes to each other. On the other hand I've noticed that Estonia always gets points from the scandinavian coutries. However this year the entry was too poor to get through but I think in the past it was always in final.
    3.All that Western countries must do is coming with good songs. Listern to the songs from Spain and France and you'll see what I mean. The little help from neighbourhood in undoubtful but when a song is too poor ( see Montenegro ) it's not enough.

Don't forget: Tonight it's the second semifinal.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Ireland.... wtf was that ? I'm speechless.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    The only traditional ally who never fails to give us 12 points is Spain.
    Which surely doesn't have anything to do with the up to 600.000 Romanians living in Spain...

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2006_...st_economy.htm
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.