Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Science and religion need each other, and many astronomers believe in God, he assures readers.
    That statement puts the 'shift' into perspective.

To be sure, religion needs science. Science, however, does not need, and is better off without religion, IMHO.
    I work for profit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    To me, admittedly as a non-believer in religious terms, this 'evolution' casts doubt on the absolute veracity of many teachings. After all, there used to be an enormous amount of rigidity about this, and only recently has more flexibility entered into the discussion, not least when one listens to clergymen themselves.

(By the way, regarding UFOs, they do certainly exist in a literal sense. There are certainly flying objects that, for all sorts of reasons, go unidentified.)
    I don't think that was the point that came across personally.

The astronomer in question was talking about if aliens did exist, would they absolved of the original sin? He is saying aliens might exist because God may have created them too. Not really talking about whether God exists if aliens do.

That was my understanding of it anyway.

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze
    To be sure, religion needs science. .
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze
    Science, however, does not need, and is better off without religion, IMHO.
    If this is right then it's really sad. Unfortunately science studies only the physical and material world. Even if we knew exactly all what's happening in the universe and what kind of inhabitants live on Sirius or other stars of the Milky Way, we still would be far away from the essential things: why and what for are we on earth. From the contemporary science point of view, the human development would be a perpetual march to an unknown and undetermined truth.

In my opinion religion who answers to the needs of the soul and science who answers to the needs of rationality should stick together.
    Otherwise religion, without material proofs and science without any hope to elucidate the mistery of life will continue to fight, without any winner.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7399661.stm

Why do they this NOW ? Is this to prepare us for something that will happen in the near future?
    They finally read Ezekial.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Benedictus 16 is the 265th pope, and he will be the last before Petrus returns to earth to get us all to heaven. This will happen mid-december 2012 as the Mayas predicted. I read it on wikipedia so it's true.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada
    Benedictus 16 is the 265th pope, and he will be the last before Petrus returns to earth to get us all to heaven. This will happen mid-december 2012 as the Mayas predicted. I read it on wikipedia so it's true.
    I read on MSN Today that Rick Astley's career is back on track (nice related topic for here). That must be true too huh?

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monaro Doorslammer
    I read on MSN Today that Rick Astley's career is back on track (nice related topic for here). That must be true too huh?
    Well with the amount of people that are being rickrolled it is pretty much true yes.