Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Terry Labonte set to join his brother at Pettys

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/05/terr...brother-pettys

Terry Labonte will be a teammate to his brother Bobby at Petty Enterprises starting next month, pending sponsor approval.

Terry (and Chad McCumbee) will drive the No. 45 when Kyle Petty gets out for the summer. Petty is scheduled to compete in the Coca-Cola 600 and then miss the next seven races (one for his daughter's wedding and the other six to work as an analyst for TNT)

McCumbee likely will drive at Dover and Chicago. Terry Labonte likely will drive in the other five races. Labonte's addition is key for Petty Enterprises because the No. 45 car is not in the top 35 in car owner points. Labonte's second of his two titles came in 1996 -- that makes him the most recent champion not in the top 35 since Bill Elliott's title came in 1988. Thus, Labonte would be guaranteed a starting spot each time he starts, while the Wood Brothers would lose that even with Elliott in the seat.

“”For us, (Terry) has always been in our mind because of Bobby,’’ said Robbie Loomis, executive vice president of operations at Petty Enterprises, before Saturday’s race at Darlington. “”We saw him help out Michael (Waltrip’s) deal last year. I think Kyle has always been close to him. It’s a good fit. Kind of a neat deal for us.’’

Terry Labonte drove three races last year for Michael Waltrip, competing in the road course events at Infineon Raceway and Watkins Glen. Terry Labonte also drove for Waltrip at Indianapolis last year, making the field on his champion’s provisional. Terry Labonte’s top finish in those races was 30th at Indianapolis and Watkins Glen.

This would be the second time the Labonte brothers have run as teammates. Terry Labonte drove in five races for Joe Gibbs Racing in 2005 when Bobby Labonte was there. Terry Labonte ranks fourth in series history with 851 career starts. He won 22 races.
    I'm choosing Joey Logano as my avatar. I feel he is a worthy ally.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talking

It will be good to see "Texas Terry" back in a Cup Series stockcar !

(You can go home now Bill Elliott)
    2008 ESPN Stockcar Challenge MSF Champion :D
    2007 Yahoo! Boogity Boogity Boogity Champion :D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Very cool for Terry!
    "You win some, lose some, and wreck some." - Dale Earnhardt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good to see Terry back but this is why the Champions Provisional shouldn't exist. However, I think Kyle being out of the #45 will be a good thing. As much as I like him he is quite simply not getting the job done.
    Message to Ganassi - Get Sterling in the #40 full-time. Those were the days.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great for Terry toget back in,but it shows how bad Petty Enterprises has fallen,mainly to get his most recent title exemption.I hope that its not the case.
    Hail to the Redskins Hail Victory
    Art Monk and Darrell Green 2008 Hall of Fame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jslone

shows how bad Petty Enterprises has fallen
    Exactly what I thought some time ago - how did a team with such prominance dive so far? I think that goes for Wood Brothers too. Remember I have only heard lots more about this sport in very recent years, so don't flame me too much. I can't know it all.

I love watching Back in the Day (shame not more racing and less Jr, but nevermind) and Wood and Petty is mentioned a lot. Well, Richard Petty is mentioned, I guess the team as such didn't exist back then. I am sure someone will put me right on all this...........

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colinspooky
    Exactly what I thought some time ago - how did a team with such prominance dive so far? I think that goes for Wood Brothers too. Remember I have only heard lots more about this sport in very recent years, so don't flame me too much. I can't know it all.

I love watching Back in the Day (shame not more racing and less Jr, but nevermind) and Wood and Petty is mentioned a lot. Well, Richard Petty is mentioned, I guess the team as such didn't exist back then. I am sure someone will put me right on all this...........
    Petty Enterprises (or at least the Petty team) has existed since the beginning of NASCAR. It was started by Richard's father, Lee Petty.

I remember when Petty Enterprises and the Wood Brother's team were the class of NASCAR. But in those days a full season in "Cup" cost, at most, $500,000. NASCAR has changed a lot since those days. Some teams could change with it (such as Childress), and some have had problems keeping up. There are a lot of former teams that fell by the wayside over the past 20 years as NASCAR has grown.

I remember in the 1970's when many of the mid-level teams were run out of a garage in the owner's back yard. No teams like that exist anymore.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hate to see the Pettys resorting to this. Fingers crossed they can turn it around.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    shame Petty cant get good engines and cars to match the talent of a champion driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wood brothers are just as bad it seems.Times are tough but some teams need to seriously think about getting out or merging with the big boys.
    Hail to the Redskins Hail Victory
    Art Monk and Darrell Green 2008 Hall of Fame