Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGarage
    But that is exactly what champ car did. issued a set of specs and let manufacturers lose. Both panoz and Lola came back with designs!!! Once the design deadline was reached champ car made the decision to go with panoz.

it was always the intention to go with one manufacturer but they didn't decide which one until everyone that wanted to had submitted a design to champ cars set of specifications for the new car.
    That's not exactly correct, and certainly not anything along the lines I suggested. It's not '....exactly what champ car did.". Not even a scale model had been built before the contract was awarded to Panoz.

Just to be clear, I don't anticipate the IRL selecting a single manufacturer. Publish the specs and open it up to anyone who thinks they can play.
    Keep your eyes open for the rest of January, you may be in for a surprise - Speeds Up...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyars
    That's not exactly correct, and certainly not anything along the lines I suggested. It's not '....exactly what champ car did.". Not even a scale model had been built before the contract was awarded to Panoz.
    According to the way you originally phrased it, yes, it is exactly what Champ Car did.

They created a description of how the car should perform, defined a budget the car must stay within, and let the manufacturers come up with their own designs. 4 manufacturers submitted designs, Panoz and Lola came in with the most competitive bids, and Panoz won partly on account they're based in the USA and would be cheaper in the long run for quicker turnaround of parts and shipping.

IndyCar would be smart to polish up the DP01 with whatever revisions they find necessary, make that the new car for a few years, then go back to the boards and work on something truly green and next generation as the longer term solution. Why? teams would save on running the DP01s now, and it would give time for the series to stabilize so in a few years time the specs could be opened up for mulitple manufacturers as everybody here seems to want.

It's seems to be rather late in the game to be introducing anything but the DP01 or Dallara as the new car if it's to hit the ground running in the 2010 season opener. If they choose DP01, they can use them starting in 2009 which buys more time for the next generation design to be fleshed out.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Ask yourselves this...

Why need wings?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    Ask yourselves this...

Why need wings?
    If they can design a wingless open wheel race car that looks cutting edge and doesn't look like a Formula Ford or something out of the 1950's then great! I wouldn't hold my breath though.

I think all this talk about the DP01 is a bit moot as they've already said they're looking for a style of car that is unique in its look compared to any other type of open wheel race car. I think that whatever they do, there'll be people calling it ugly and people calling it beautiful, so they can't win either way.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weeflyonthewall
    Historically, wasn't the process started in May? With the new car showing up a year and a half later.
    Originally it was Chassis announced in Jan for next year, Engine announced in June for next year or june. However that was back when they could start a season in June and end it at I500. At some point they will have to realize they need do chassis & engine at the same time if they are ever going to have real change.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikiec
    That's because it's the Dallara airbox photoshopped onto a DP01.

If you want to see what the DP01 would look like with an airbox, have a look at the Superleague Formula's Panoz DP09......

http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/20...perLeague7.jpg

http://www.psv.nl/upload/145551_661_...ormula4681.jpg

http://www.superleagueformulamedia.c...e_2_18_10a.jpg
    Foe what it's worth these pics are not the actual Superleague car, just a concept show car with different liveries digitally added on. The actual car looks and sounds very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kwkK...ueformula.net/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't know - it just does not do it for me - a little too F-1 in design cues. It is not a bad looking race car - just not very unique and I would be disappointed if the next Indycar were much like it....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    FWIW, I like that Superleague car...even with the airbox.
    Domm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shazbot
    Foe what it's worth these pics are not the actual Superleague car, just a concept show car with different liveries digitally added on. The actual car looks and sounds very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kwkK...ueformula.net/
    That I can live with.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mantom
    According to the way you originally phrased it, yes, it is exactly what Champ Car did.
    Where did I even hint that IndyCar should limit the new car to one manufacturer in my original post? That's just your assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by mantom
    IndyCar would be smart to polish up the DP01 with whatever revisions they find necessary, make that the new car for a few years, then go back to the boards and work on something truly green and next generation as the longer term solution. Why? teams would save on running the DP01s now, and it would give time for the series to stabilize so in a few years time the specs could be opened up for mulitple manufacturers as everybody here seems to want.
    Why do so many people hang on to the DP-01? Mark my word, when the new car is developed and announced, it will have absolutely NO relation to the Panoz DP-01. That chasis will never be used in any way by the IndyCar series. Even Panoz lists it as "out of production."

The new car will be purpose-built to compete at the Indianopolis Motor Speedway, and then used everywhere else.
    Keep your eyes open for the rest of January, you may be in for a surprise - Speeds Up...