Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The New Car

As we all know there supposed to be a new car for the 2010 season. Thats leaves only about year and a half. Shouldnt they be testing the car by now? I mean I dont remember exactly how long it took for the Panoz but I know at least a year if not more, for testing and whatever they do to them to make sure there ready for use.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    panoz was launched at san jose (July) 2005 and tested throughout 2006 (from what I remember).

So for a 2010 launch I would hope to hear something around july september this year.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Don't know if anyone else read the interview from Long Beach with Kevin Kal, who said Tony Cotman had a huge hand in the development of the Panoz, and would be keen to push for something along those lines again.

As Panoz was in the IRL previously, I don't doubt they might be back, not with the DPo1whatever it was, but possibly a development on that prinicpal.

The way things have been moving so far this year, I wouldn't be to surprised to hear something soon.

As a side note do the current rules allow for a team to turn up with any chasis provided it is in line with current rules? Or do they all have to be Dallara's?
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX_THRUST
    As a side note do the current rules allow for a team to turn up with any chasis provided it is in line with current rules? Or do they all have to be Dallara's?
    Only the dallara is legal this year. however the irl panoz chassis is legal for Indy only.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks Bob....there is nothing you don't know!!! Doubt anyone will use the Panoz though. Has it ever won Indy???
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX_THRUST
    Doubt anyone will use the Panoz though.
    there are two on the entry list at the moment... http://www.indy500.com/images/pdf/2008_entrylist.pdf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Buddy Rice was the last to win the Indy 500 in a Panoz chassis in 04. Although the race ended under yellows for rain he was the class of the field all day. Of course Penske won in a Panoz/G Force in '03, and Montoya in 2000.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGarage
    there are two on the entry list at the moment...
    Nothing with a driver though.....

IMHO the best way to design the next car is to create a set of specifications, wheel base, width, height, cockpit size, wing size, tunnel limits, etc and let the manufactures design and compete. Just like back before the un-unification when we had Lola's and Renard's and Penske's.
    We could potentially have chassis from a number of manufactures, Lola, Panoz, Dallara, just to name a few.

Then create an engine spec and let the engine guys do the same thing.
    It's all one series now... can't we all get along?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The smart thing might be to delay the car a year...though I dread the thought of looking at the Dallara for another season.

Get at least 2, possibly 3, chassis manufacturers to commit to the series for 2011. See what direction this series is going to go during the next 6-12 months. Obviously Indy will always be a part of it, but what about other large ovals? Decide on an engine formula. Speak with the committed manufacturers, engineers, and drivers to come up with a list of desirable qualities. Then give the manufacturers 18 months to create and test their chassis from a strict formula.

Unless, they've been working on something with a combined series in mind for a long time now, I don't think they could get all this done by 2010. I just don't want to see another spec series until 2013.
    Domm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think for the next few years cost will still be a major factor in the specifications of a car. Part of the beauty of the DP01 was, overall, it was cheaper to run (and fix!) than the previous Lola (and I'm pretty sure cheaper than the IRL cars now). If / when the series returns to it's "glory" days (and there's simply more money in the series), then it can be opened up to additional chassis manufacturers, etc. But until then (and I'm afraid it will take some time), they'll need to keep the focus on costs (w/o sacrificing safety or performance, of course).
    Doug