Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSfan
    I really think they should get a summit going at indy this May with a whole bunch of Engine manufacturer's. chasis builders, tire companies, etc etc, Do some legit brain storming that might amount to something. Of course it may be to early to gauge the impact the merger has had on the sport by then, making it difficult to figure out what the sport can support in 2010, but atleast they would be able to determine how much support from the manufacturers they can expect.
    I agree.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Let's say that in 2010, the IndyCar Series does switch to turbo engines. What engine formula could they use?
    I am still amazed at how the writers on this forum have such short attention spans and/or their own agendas. This thread was about engine formula and has covered chassis safety, summits, tires, car weight, etc... I'm getting dizzy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Let's say that in 2010, the IndyCar Series does switch to turbo engines. What engine formula could they use?
    Assuming it is turbo, which sorry to say Champ Car people is extremely improbable, it might stay 2.65L. The E98 mixture is going to make a little less power than methanol.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    2 stroke chainsaw engine supplied by Briggs and Stratton. To run on lawn cuttings.

Seriuosly though. Honda still has a few 2.65 ltr turbo engines from the CART days. Cosworth has a few as well. Rather than spend a fortune on new engines lets make the series run the old engines with green fuel, and be done with it. Turbos are easy to adjust hp etc, and I love the sound.

Having said that the IRL cars sounded good at STPete on TV the other night. They sound like tractors accelerating but sound good on the down shifts.

either way I'm just glad to have seen one race on TV, and to see full grids. INDY is gonna be the best for 13 years. Don't care who wins it, don't care George owns it. Just happy things are moving forward. Lets not get over excited lets wait unti lthings are done.
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dataman1
    I am still amazed at how the writers on this forum have such short attention spans and/or their own agendas. This thread was about engine formula and has covered chassis safety, summits, tires, car weight, etc... I'm getting dizzy.

such is a discussion forum.....

chassis, tires safty etc will all be factors to be considered when a new formula is announced....
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dataman1
    I like the idea from pits4me. Go to a formula that is emerging. The manufacturers would see benifit of using racing as a test environment. Need to ask them what they want racing to use rather than dictate the formula.
    That was my point. Neither open wheel series was on the same page with the manufacturers. Consequently no manufacturers support except Honda.

I thought perpetuating the 2.65L Turbo engine was a practical approach but was enlightened by a manufacturer attending Long Beach who said that would not be the solution they'd look for. They want to see something their auto consumers can relate to.

The series should embrace an engine formula based on emerging engine technology in the industry. It doesn't need to be top drawer technology like F1. We all agree that's a budget buster but the fact remains when CART lost the manufacturers, they also lost a great deal of associate supplier support. Many stepped away from open wheel all together and elected not to pick a specific side.

If Indy Car wants to re-establish itself as the 2nd drawer of open wheel racing is must address the gap between where it (and Champ) is today and the outragious expense of Formula 1. We're coming up to the 100th anniversay of Indy and what car will be featured on the grid. Nothing very exciting in many peoples opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PSfan
    I really think they should get a summit going at indy this May with a whole bunch of Engine manufacturer's. chasis builders, tire companies, etc etc, Do some legit brain storming that might amount to something. Of course it may be to early to gauge the impact the merger has had on the sport by then, making it difficult to figure out what the sport can support in 2010, but atleast they would be able to determine how much support from the manufacturers they can expect.
    Its all about connecting the dots, not giving them a reason to look elsewhere. ALMS seems to be doing a good job in that regard.
    LBGP: The Sound - The Spectacle. Racin' at its finest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pits4me
    We're coming up to the 100th anniversay of Indy and what car will be featured on the grid. Nothing very exciting in many peoples opinion.
    We are already looking at the car that will be on the gird for the 100th anniversary. It is too late in the game to think otherwise now. I don't see how the engineering and manufacturing could be pushed ahead to meet a May 2009 deadline.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    We are already looking at the car that will be on the gird for the 100th anniversary. It is too late in the game to think otherwise now. I don't see how the engineering and manufacturing could be pushed ahead to meet a May 2009 deadline.

Gary
    Indy was shutdown for a few years during WWII. Isn't its 100th race going to be ~2011?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The first Indianapolis 500 Mile Race was held in 1911 so it would be the 100 year Anniversary of the first race, not the 100th race.
    The first race was a 5 miler held in 1909 that killed 6 people, so 2009 would be the 100th Anniversary of the first race.....

http://www2.indystar.com/library/fac...g/indy500.html

If I counted right I figure that 08 will be the 93rd running....

http://www.indy500.com/modules/pdf/s...%20Winners.pdf
    It's all one series now... can't we all get along?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell

Gary
    I agree Gary. Although anything is possible with the right minds and motivation behind it.
    LBGP: The Sound - The Spectacle. Racin' at its finest.