Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    It's like the 90s with GTs/GT1/GTP and WSC/IMSA in the 80s

Endurance is now popular again.

So why is it manufacturers are drawn specifically to ALMS? Do we have to thank Don Panoz for making ALMS the premier endurance series?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePI2
    Very good question. At midohio although the crowd was impressive for alms it certainly was no where close to Indycar. The thing I think most people like about alms is the high tech cars in the pt series, and the fact if you want to watch a stock car race the gt series is a hell of a lost closer then any cup race is. Alms had a advertising slogan a few years back "the cars are the stars". It certainly is true the cars look and sound like real race cars and the pt cars are awsome. Now as for myself it was lemans racing that made me fall in love with auto racing way back in the late 60's. Who who was alive then can forget the great gt40 and the 917.

David
    David: Those glory days may live again! Now that a naturally-aspirated 5.0L 'Cammer has replaced the supercharged 5.4L in several recent-edition Ford GTs, the Ford GT has become a force to reckon with in FIA GT3 sportscar racing! Ford GTs with the 5.0 (developed by Roush Yates Engines from the Mustang FR500C's R50 'Cammer) have won the first four FIA GT3 races, the first two German ADAC GT Masters events, and got a second and a win in the first two Brazilian GT3 Championship races! Seven wins and a second in the first eight races of 2008! You can expect yet more penalty weight and yet an even more severe intake restriction on this 5.0 after it shamed Vipers, Z06Rs, and everything European in GT3! And the GT4 version of this engine powered Eric de Doncker to the GT4 European Driver's Championship in 2007 and de Doncker has amassed a big lead in the GT4 European Driver's Championship in 2008. The demand has gotten so great that Ford has been persuaded to re-open Ford GT chassis manufacturing for racecars only. Startling events, huh?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    ISo why is it manufacturers are drawn specifically to ALMS? Do we have to thank Don Panoz for making ALMS the premier endurance series?
    Most importantly, it's reasonably well-run.

Outside of that, the rules are a lot more open. Teams aren't building clone cars from a recipe in a narrow box defined by the rules (how many cylinders, displacement, etc.). Instead there are multiple ways to get there and some ways will work better at tight tracks (LMP2), some better at open tracks (LMP1) and with GT2, they maintain a pretty even playing field.

Racing for gearheads. Like it used to be!

I still miss the '90's GTP's, and I really look forward to the closed prototypes coming back in volume, but even as it is now, it's the best racing product available in north America.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wbcobrar
    The point is ALMS on TV is good , in the flesh its down right unrivaled . Almost every friend that has come to the race has joined the yearly pilgramage to the Mecca of motorsports that is ALMS!!!!
    I`ll echo this. I have been to stand-alone Indycar and Nascar races, but when I witnessed the combined Indy/ALMS events, the sports cars were the most amazing sight to see over that weekend, especially after an Indy car was on the track...... equivalent, or superior to F1 in the WOW factor.
    I`ll add that the ALMS on TV can have a boring feel, depending on the announcers, and the chopped up broadcasts. It`s something you must see in person....somewhat like a hockey game.
    Don`t taze me bro! :disturb:

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePI2
    ... Now as for myself it was lemans racing that made me fall in love with auto racing way back in the late 60's. Who who was alive then can forget the great gt40 and the 917.

David
    I was much too young then to appreciate the sport. But I've always appreciated the era you mentioned. Though I didn't mind the days of IMSA GT series with its Lolas, Porsche 935s, Ford (capris?), etc., once I discovered it in the 1980s.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, the silk cut Jags at Del Mar were the days.

The last WSC race I attended (in LV) was a joke. Can't say I miss Andy Evans but the Panoz Batmobiles were something to see.

What Scott Atherton and Tim Mayer have accomplished in sportscars is amazing. The LMP2 class is shaping up to be a great battle between Porsche and Acura. LMP1 is overdue for some new blood. I hear its just around the corner. I miss the Aston Martin GT1 giving the Corvettes a run.
    LBGP: The Sound - The Spectacle. Racin' at its finest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pits4me
    Yes, the silk cut Jags at Del Mar were the days.
    For me, the silk cut Jags were second only to the RX792P in being a drop-dead beauty.

The new Lola Aston Martin is pretty easy on the eyes.

Unhappy great post.

great post. Thank you. here is some of my thought.Latitude D620

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Wonder whether ALMS can sustain popularity now that Audi will be there for the blue riband races, no Porsche Spyders, struggled for 20 cars at St. Pete.

Good TV coverage all round, Acuras making an effort, GT2 is competitive as it has ever been, big name drivers like de Ferran, Brabham, Sharp, Fernandez, Diaz.

I think its still good, better than even when Audi dominated in the early 2000s.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am motorsport fan period. I watch most of it. I've never been big about 2 wheeled sports but James Stewart for obvious reasons I follow and I do watch some tape delayed World Super Bike or MotoGP on Speed when I'm "bored" and remember they are on.

ALMS is fairly popular with the "purist". Outside of that however, it still not mainstream.

As long as open wheel was split it, it put a wedge between the road racing CART supporters and the "We Want American Drivers" supporters of the IRL.

In the end, IRL still had non US drivers dominating the series, save for Sam Hornish and ran ovals exclusively. While CART had better overall race (IMHO), but Sebass dominated until some F3/A1GP drivers started getting rides, but he still won...

Anywho...

ALMS is on TV, LIVE!

Only two TD (Tape Delay) races this year that I know of Long Beach on ABC and Road Mid Ohio on NBC.

Too bad Audi and "The Lion" aren't here to get REAL TV time. The Spa 1000km lead up to Le Mans will be shown chopped up. If you live in Europe you can buy online streaming of the event.

I keep degressing but I can't help it..lol

The ALMS is fine, as the economy goes, so does the ALMS. I hope things will improve for Business come 2010, 2011. If car sales and general sales go up, you'll have more ad money available for sponsorship. T-Mobile stepped up for VICI Racing and I hope that is a sign of things to come.

Enough people watch it to put it on TV, but out drawing anything but IRL at the moment is pie in the sky stuff.
    Check Out My Motorsport Blog - http://pfmotorsports.blogspot.com/