Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts

Question The popularity of ALMS

On the IRL/CCWS forums, there were races where more fans turned up for the ALMS races in the double-header meetings which left my head scratching.

Sure, the open wheel split had something to do with it but what other factors?

Corvettes in GT1/death of Trans-Am, Penske/Porsche ending Audi domination leading to more interest in the series?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Very good question. At midohio although the crowd was impressive for alms it certainly was no where close to Indycar. The thing I think most people like about alms is the high tech cars in the pt series, and the fact if you want to watch a stock car race the gt series is a hell of a lost closer then any cup race is. Alms had a advertising slogan a few years back "the cars are the stars". It certainly is true the cars look and sound like real race cars and the pt cars are awsome. Now as for myself it was lemans racing that made me fall in love with auto racing way back in the late 60's. Who who was alive then can forget the great gt40 and the 917.

David

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    On the IRL/CCWS forums, there were races where more fans turned up for the ALMS races in the double-header meetings which left my head scratching.

Corvettes in GT1/death of Trans-Am, Penske/Porsche ending Audi domination leading to more interest in the series?
    ALMS' TV ratings have generally been equal to or greater than open wheel's ratings since at least 2005. ALMS provides a variety in car types, manufacturer nameplates and engines that open wheel lost a long time ago. Also, the various ALMS sponsors have done a good job of promoting the series, though it's not made it into the mainstream (yet).

With the mix of vehicle types, the racing is usually quite good, if not exciting. And it doesn't hurt a cause when Ferraris, Porsches and Corvettes are in the show. Those are names that even non-gearheads can relate to. AOWR doesn't have as much to offer in that area. IMO, that's why Graham Rahal's win was universally praised in the IRL. It appears that Danica will need a whole bunch of luck (if not some fanciful calls from race control) to win a race. Marco is hit or miss most weekends. AOWR needs a "name driver" to carry the torch.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge

I think the "four races within one" format really adds to the excitement. It's great to see two drivers doing battle on the track, but it's even better when the have to watch out for faster/slower cars at the same time. It's only too bad that the P1 and GT1 classes don't have more competition.

There is also greater fan interest when some of the cars racing (Ferrari, Corvette, Porsche, Viper, Aston Martin) actually relate to similar cars that a person (a rich one) could own and drive on the road. It's hard to relate to the IRL when you are watching a bunch of Lolas fighting it out on track and then get into your Toyota for the drive home - not as much similarity there...
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    ALMS' TV ratings have generally been equal to or greater than open wheel's ratings since at least 2005. ALMS provides a variety in car types, manufacturer nameplates and engines that open wheel lost a long time ago. Also, the various ALMS sponsors have done a good job of promoting the series, though it's not made it into the mainstream (yet).

With the mix of vehicle types, the racing is usually quite good, if not exciting. And it doesn't hurt a cause when Ferraris, Porsches and Corvettes are in the show. Those are names that even non-gearheads can relate to. AOWR doesn't have as much to offer in that area. IMO, that's why Graham Rahal's win was universally praised in the IRL. It appears that Danica will need a whole bunch of luck (if not some fanciful calls from race control) to win a race. Marco is hit or miss most weekends. AOWR needs a "name driver" to carry the torch.
    ALMS brings a style of racing that many former OW road racing fans can relate to AND APPRECIATE.

Seeing the factory support down pit lane and arounf the paddock is amazing. It reminds me of the old CART days when we had Mercedes, Ford, Honda, and Toyota as well as a full contingent of supporting sponsors.

The way Acura came to "town" last year speaks volumes. Penske's Porsche win at Sebring, Bobby Rahal bringing back BMW in 2009. To top it off, a great 10th anniversary celebration.
    LBGP: The Sound - The Spectacle. Racin' at its finest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ALMS is an entertaining series to watch on TV, but I don't like how some cars in some classes can take off certain races. For instance the Aston Martin in GT1. I know they weren't there at the Long Beach race b/c they were in a big crash at St. Petersburg but I know they have taken off some races without being involved in a big wreck. I just think all cars should be mandated to be in every race, like the other big series out there. So that the Corvette and Aston Martin drivers can have more exciting battles.

I also kind of miss the old Audio Pros from a few years ago, that were the fastest things around. It was cool watching them duke it out with the Bentley Pros also. I don't think the Audis they have now are as fast as they were 5 years ago or so. The Audi and Porche battles now are pretty cool even though they are in different classes. I still enjoy ALMS races though!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Believe me as a big fan of alms I would love to see them there every race. It is a shame the entries are dowm for the prototypes at Miller. Unfortunately that is a problem with a high cost series. It is not uncommon though to see entries drop before lemans and then pick up after the long layoff though. I am sure that will happen this year also. Last year there werer 14 prototypes at midohio and I have not doubt there will be at least that many this year.

David

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I consider myself a fairly well rounded motorsports fan . I watch almost every lap of NASCAR , am returning as an American open wheel fan , I hit one or two local short and / or dirt track events a year , love drag raceing ; you get the picture . But for a live event NOTHING comes close to ALMS . I have skipped out on two different good friends weddings to camp at the august Road America event . I'ts the one yearly ritual that has survived 10 years of marrage. I've often said even if I was blind I would still go , because with flat 6 or diesel turbo V12,s , or American V8,s,....etc ,ALMS is the ultimate " car gye (or girl )" experience . While some series focus on "fair competetion" and the driver , or advancing wind tunnel technology, or whatever, ALMS is all about the cars , and there is something for everyone. One of my friends is a big Chevy lover, another is in love with Porsche , my cousin diggs the AUDI , I like the blue oval ,so I pull for the Panos (with Ford modular power), and pray for Kevin Doran to get his s**t togeather on the long rumered Ford GT. The point is ALMS on TV is good , in the flesh its down right unrivaled . Almost every friend that has come to the race has joined the yearly pilgramage to the Mecca of motorsports that is ALMS!!!!
    :dozey: Behold the power of cheese;)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The ALMS is growing and growing each year both in the US and in UK with the help of Motors TV who infact show more live un-interrupted coverage of the races than Speed TV, Every time Speed goes’ to commercial break we still have live TV here in the UK.

The ALMS is also bigger than the LMS now, I think that's down to pricing...it's so much cheaper to go to live events in the US than it is here in UK or Europe.

I also think that has the ALMS grows the tracks will have to too to accommodate the extra cars.

Well done America when you do something you do it right, keep it coming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    that is a good point about the exstra cars. ALMS is growing in field size, and some tracks like lime rock may have trouble in the future with field size. I am not sure if mid ohio won't also. Those are two tracks that run separate races in rolex for pt and gt classes. I figure there might be as many as 33 cars in the field at midohio so it will be interesting to see what happens in the future if the field size, especially the pt and gt1 grow any larger.

David