Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Ayrton Senna: Fourteen Years Later

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...en-Years-Later

“If I ever happen to have an accident that eventually costs me my life, I hope it is in one go. I would not like to be in a wheelchair. I would not like to be in a hospital suffering from whatever injury it was. If I’m going to live, I want to live fully, very intensely, because I am an intense person. It would ruin my life if I had to live partially.”

Four months after Ayrton Senna made this bold statement, he would cease to exist physically in our world. Fourteen years ago on May 1, 1994 at the San Marino Grand Prix at Italy’s Imola circuit, three time Formula One world champion Ayrton Senna slammed into a concrete barrier. It just looked like a nasty shunt, and that was all. The world watched live as medical personnel tended to Senna right on the spot. Millions of people watched in horror and agony as they pulled the Brazilian’s body out of the blood stained cockpit. The race continued after Senna was air lifted to Maggiore Hospital. A young man driving for Benetton by the name of Michael Schumacher would later go on to win the race to cap an already harsh and difficult weekend. When Schumacher climbed up onto the podium, he had just received word that one of his most respected rivals was now dead.
    Ayrton Senna lived a full life and lived more in 34 years than what many people live in 84 years. In that, we should be comforted.

Let us never forget Ayrton Senna, and remember him on this 14th anniversary of his death.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the reminder

During the 2004 San Marino Grand Prix ten year anniversary remembrance of Ayrton Senna in a series of interviews, Gerhard Berger, Senna's team mate at McLaren from 1990-1992 and a very close friend, expressed a memory of what it was like qualifying with Senna:
    “ I remember one weekend in Imola where I went out, I set the time. He went out, he was a bit quicker. I went out, I was quicker than him. He went out, he was quicker than me, and then it goes forwards, backwards -- ping pong -- until close to the end of the qualifying and it was the last set of tyres, and he was sitting in the racing car, me in my one, and he got out of the racing car, walked over to my one and said, 'Listen, it's gonna get very dangerous now,' and I say 'So what? Let's go!' ”

It was the 1990 San Marino Grand Prix and Senna qualified first, with Berger behind by half a second.

This competition could perhaps be attributed to not only Senna's determination and desire to be first (including qualifying), but Senna and Berger's close friendship and horseplay.

Source WIKI
    "straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers"

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    For some reason I was thinking of Senna yesterday, not realizing that today would be the 14th anniversary of his death.

A great man he was.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It doesn't seem 14 years since we lost Ayrton on that terrible day. I wonder what he would have made of the current state of F1.
    Lets also remember Roland Ratzenberger. His story is in someways more tragic as his death was immediately overshadowed by Ayrtons.
    Message to Ganassi - Get Sterling in the #40 full-time. Those were the days.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Does Roland mean nothing to anyone?

Edit - I missed dw's reference to RR.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For all the flack he's taken lately, worth remembering that Max Mosley spearheaded a safety campaign after the incidents that have kept the sport fatality-free ever since. An impact such as Kovalainen's on Sunday even a few years ago could have killed him. MM also was present at Ratzenberger's funeral when most of the fraternity was at Sennas...

I never saw the legend race, was only 6 at the time of the crash, but I have always heard of the deep respect and admiration for his talents and for his persona.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thinking of you Roland and Ayrton

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    RIP Ayrton and Roland.
    I was very young and not a big F-1 fan when I learned about Senna's death. I wasn't his fan yet I remember that I was feeling very, very empty.
    Years later I watched a movie about this tragic weekend and wept.
    One of the saddest moments in the history of motorsport
    Formula 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fugariracing
    For all the flack he's taken lately, worth remembering that Max Mosley spearheaded a safety campaign after the incidents that have kept the sport fatality-free ever since.
    This is a bit inaccurate. While no drivers have died since, there have been two marshals killed IIRC. Fortunately their deaths have led to better track side safety as well.
    Q: Juan, can you explain your gesture on the last lap to Michael?
    JPM: I just said ‘what happened, what were you thinking’. That’s all.
    MS: I thought you were congratulating me.
    JPM: I never do actually.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith