Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screamer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Screamer

I was just reading that Hopkins may get a chance to try out Kawasaki's new Screamer Engine. I think it sounds interesting, and hope it can give the green machine some ammunition to start fighting up the order. What are your thoughts on this new engine ?
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    it will probably break down a few times, but if it can get Hopper on the top of the podium I hope they'll introduce it right now
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The other manufacturers have tried screamer engines and dropped them. I wonder what Kawasaki think it will offer that the other bigger companies failed to find when they tried them

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/moto...er_return.html

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think the problem with the screamer engine is the engine breaking from what I gather from reports that I have seen, (crash.net). I don't think that the other manufacturers were prepared to work it out, perhaps citing it as too much trouble to sort. Perhaps Kawasaki are just prepared to persevere and try to make it work. Mazda did a similar thing with the ****el Rotary long ago, and even General Motors dropped the idea,saying it was not going to work, and too costly to figure out, well, Mazda made it work. I can't see why Kawasaki can't make the Screamer work.
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maxu05
    I think the problem with the screamer engine is the engine breaking from what I gather from reports that I have seen, (crash.net). I don't think that the other manufacturers were prepared to work it out, perhaps citing it as too much trouble to sort. Perhaps Kawasaki are just prepared to persevere and try to make it work. Mazda did a similar thing with the ****el Rotary long ago, and even General Motors dropped the idea,saying it was not going to work, and too costly to figure out, well, Mazda made it work. I can't see why Kawasaki can't make the Screamer work.
    That should read, "Engine Braking" and W@nkel Rotary.
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hopper was the only Kawasaki rider to test the screamer config after Jerez, he was considerably quicker.. I think it could be a good development, simply because Kawasaki need something..
    I opened up all the windows..the air is cold, the tub is boiling hot..It's like Sweden, man. Sweden!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neninja
    The other manufacturers have tried screamer engines and dropped them. I wonder what Kawasaki think it will offer that the other bigger companies failed to find when they tried them

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/moto...er_return.html
    Perhaps a case of engineers differing theories? Furusawa says that Yamaha ditched the screamer in 2003 with their own hard and fast rule that it's pro's are not as big as the big bang engines upside. As I understand it this is mainly due to power delivery and traction, something that Kawasaki believe may be possible to overcome with improved electronics. I REALLY hope it works because it would add fantastic variation to the aural pleasures of MotoGP and I remember the original Kwak and Duc MotoGP bikes just sounded magnificent as they screamed around the track.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Seems obvious. The cc has been cut by 200 so there is less power to be squeezed from your 800 and you have get it where you can, even if it means making an all-top-end -motor but now, thanks to electronics and the fact that the engine is smaller, without the unmanageable rush from a 990 screamer.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I can see them making it work. Though the other manufacturers abandoned attempts at making it work, it is sometimes the smaller companies that get it sorted out. A classic example is Honda struggling to get the air operated valve engine up to speed, when Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki have it sorted. With the resources Honda invest into development, I would have thought they would be the leaders in this area, as well as developing their own screamer engine. I remember that Honda/Mick Doohan swapped between a Big Bang and a Screamer 2 stroke at his own fancy during his day.
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    03 Apr 2008
    SCREAMER CAPTURED ON VIDEO!

The Kawasaki Racing Team rolled out their screamer powered Ninja ZX-RR again during the recent post-race test at Jerez, this time in the hands of regular race pilots, John Hopkins and Anthony West, as well as test and development rider, Olivier Jacque.
    Once the screamer had been set-up to suit the characteristics of the Jerez circuit by Jacque, the former 250cc World Champion handed control to Hopkins, who completed a short five lap stint on the bike.
    "It's very different to the big bang version of the Ninja ZX-RR," declared Hopper. "But, while my first impression of the bike was good, I think there's still quite a bit of development work needed before we're ready to race it. I am looking forward to testing the bike again further down the development path."
    After putting the screamer through it's paces, Hopper returned to working on the set-up of his race Ninja ZX-RR with his crew, leaving teammate West to sample the unique characteristics of a MotoGP machine with an even firing order engine.
    "My time aboard the screamer version of Kawasaki's Ninja ZX-RR was quite short, but it was also very interesting," said West. "The bike is really loud, and it sounds like you're travelling at 330km/h everywhere because of the pitch of the exhaust note! I'm really looking forward to testing this bike again in the future, because it's was great fun to ride."
    Kawasaki test rider, Olivier Jacque, will continue with the development of the screamer while Hopkins and West focus on the next two rounds of the 2008 MotoGP World Championship in Estoril and Shanghai.