Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gasoline???

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixent
    The other funny thing is why didn't DOT call NASCAR to shorten the Daytona 500 or the Coca-Cola 600? Seems weird but that the government for you.
    Phoenix

Nascar did shorten races that year. For example, in the Daytona 500, the first 20 laps are listed as not scored, with the race starting on lap 21, so technically it was the Daytona 450 or 10% shortened. A quick glance indicates races were shortened at least through the first half of the year, but the second half races were full distance.
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    The trucks driving between each venue and the flights taken, add up to far more fuel than used by the cars themselves. That applies to all major race series.

That's why the NFL uses more gas.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well there is a grain of truth involved. The methanol used was derrived from petrolium. Other than that, they're just retarded.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightbulb Educate me?????

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Well there is a grain of truth involved. The methanol used was derrived from petrolium. Other than that, they're just retarded.
    It was my understanding that Methanol is a chemicaly produced industrial solvent also used in motor racing.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Currently, the process to create Ethanol uses almost as much petroleum product as the ethanol replaces, at least in the US. You have to consider the fertilizers (petroleum based), the equipment to plant and harvest, and the cost of conversion. The other issue is that it currently uses products that are also used for food. Make more ethanol, have less food. It is as much a political and marketing ploy as any real energy savings.

While there are efforts to make the processes more efficient, so far they haven't been very successful. But it sounds "green"
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Archer Daniels Midland is pretty happy about it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand
    It was my understanding that Methanol is a chemicaly produced industrial solvent also used in motor racing.
    Methanol is a single-carbon alcohol that may be produced by exclusively chemical means (a series of chemical reactions that usually starts with methane) or biological reactions (usually a bacteria that ferments cellulose or some other carbohydrate). Efficient, scalable biological production of methanol is something of a holy grail since it would provide a simple method of producing a clean fuel that does not originate with petroleum. At present, though, it is a lot easier to use the chemical route.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerIMS
    Methanol is a single-carbon alcohol that may be produced by exclusively chemical means (a series of chemical reactions that usually starts with methane) or biological reactions (usually a bacteria that ferments cellulose or some other carbohydrate). Efficient, scalable biological production of methanol is something of a holy grail since it would provide a simple method of producing a clean fuel that does not originate with petroleum. At present, though, it is a lot easier to use the chemical route.
    Alcohol IS NOT a clean fuel, it merely produces different percentages of pollutants.
    Bob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Current methods of production of methanol also consumes huge amounts of water. This is becoming a problem in Indiana and partially why a new plant in Barrie, On. has not proceeded. I expect the water could be recovered and reused but this would add to the cost of production.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    Alcohol IS NOT a clean fuel, it merely produces different percentages of pollutants.
    Bob
    Correct... My point was that methanol could be produced without petroleum if the raw materials are grown and the extra energy available in the methanol product is sufficient for the harvest/production steps.