Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

UK F1 coverage to return to the BBC !!!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65897

F1 UK coverage returns to the BBC

By Biranit Goren Thursday, March 20th 2008, 06:16 GMT

Formula One television coverage in the UK will return next year to the BBC following 12 seasons with ITV, the Formula One Administration announced today.

The BBC lost its rights to Formula One after the 1996 season, and it was since covered by ITV, with Martin Brundle serving as commentator for the past 12 years, alongside former BBC commentator Murray Walker and later ITV commentator James Allen.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has now concluded a five-year deal that will see Formula One return to BBC Sports, which will also have exclusive rights to radio, mobile and internet broadcasting.

"I am delighted to conclude this new deal with the BBC," Ecclestone commented. "It is an exciting time in Formula One and the BBC has some innovative new ideas to consolidate and expand our UK fan base."

Dominic Coles, BBC Sport Director of Sport Rights, added: "The biggest motorsporting event in the world is returning home after 12 years.

"We were delighted when Bernie Ecclestone approached us about the return of F1 to the BBC. F1 is a crown jewel of sports broadcasting, so to bring the rights back to their traditional home from 2009 is tremendously exciting.

"Fans will be able to enjoy uninterrupted, state of the art and innovative coverage from BBC Sport, across all of our TV, radio and new media platforms, for the first time since 1996."
    2006 GO!
    > Scott Speed
    > Red Bull Racing
    > Scuderia Toro Rosso
    > Sebastian Vettel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think that ITV have done a TERRIFIC job over the past 12 years and I would sincerely hope that the base of the commentating/presenting team would be carried over to the BBC production :

Steve Rider, Martin Brundle, Louise Goodman (even James Allen - yeah I said it! )
    2006 GO!
    > Scott Speed
    > Red Bull Racing
    > Scuderia Toro Rosso
    > Sebastian Vettel

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Yeah, ITV are excellent. Would Martin Brundle and James Allen remain the F1 commentators?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Really wasn;t expecting to hear it on the news this morning.

Ahhhh F1 with no add breaks, never thought I'd see the day again. I really hope Martin moves over but ITV can keep James Allen.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Would "HE", could "HE" and should "HE" return to F1. On an interview this morning, MW didn't rule himself out

I can't wait for F1 to come home. I don't think ITV have done a good job apart from dumbing it down a bit for the masses although some individuals have done a great job.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Blimey, that's a surprise, I'm sure I saw an article in the last few days somewere quoting ITV boss Michael Grade, as saying how important the F1 coverage was.
    So what happens to Rider & co, and more importantly the Moto GP coverage?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    No disrespect to the job ITV has done, but just to have no adverts again will be immense!

Brundle would be good to keep but get rid of James Allen and get Ben Edwards!
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's great it's going back to the BBC. no ads! and I think Brundle and Edwards would be good.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ATF
    No disrespect to the job ITV has done, but just to have no adverts again will be immense!

Brundle would be good to keep but get rid of James Allen and get Ben Edwards!
    Totally agree.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Faaaantaaastic I would imagine the BBC will try very hard to keep the current commentary and production team.