Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatanut
    They have a car that is a winner on tight tracks. They don't have a chance at an overall win at Le Mans because they have too much drag for the amount of power they have. Some folks don't like the idea that a P2 can beat a P1 ever. I think it's fun that a P2 can beat a P1 at a tight race track, but perfectly reasonable that the P2 doesn't stand a chance at a track with long straights.
    the Spyder is without a doubt the best P2 car out their, it will be good because now the other teams in teh P2 class all have to work harder and hopefully will become more reliable. the Spyder won at Sebring fairly after Audi and Peugeot both had problems.

you never know, the P1 teams may have attrition again this year and the Porsche I think can be in the top 3 overall, hell the Corvette GT1 team was 4th overall in 06, so it can happen
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasguy
    Another consideration is that Porsche is in the midst of buying VW which owns.... Audi.... do you really want to race against yourself?
    Bentley won when it was a part of AUdi I do believe,so if thats the case it should not matter.I think it is ultimatley up to Roger who decides to go.I mean the invites are there,it would be sweet to have Porsche there.
    Hail to the Redskins Hail Victory
    Art Monk and Darrell Green 2008 Hall of Fame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ALMS rules are bent over backwards to enhance the prowess of the RS spyders . Bigger airbox , bigger gas tank etc... A P1 car the Quality of the Audi may lose a race on a street course here or there , but when the spyders won last year at Road America , a long ,wide open, pure racetrack with a multitude of passing zones ? I dont think they would fare as well adhearing to the stiffer LMS rules .
    :dozey: Behold the power of cheese;)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's all about selling cars...don't forget Porsche is still privately owned, they put lots of money into FI some years ago that nearly put the company under.

I think that once the wrangling with VW is over we may see P1 versions...also the new Panamera is due our soon, you never know DTM could be on the table before P1's

http://www.porschesport.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I thought the Carerra GT was in rumors of becoming a P1 car
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Carerra GT was designed to be a racer (P1 Car) but Porsche pulled the plug ...so instead of losing what money they had spent at the time they produced it as a road car to make some money back.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcot
    But will they have help from Porsche in setting them up? Dyson was known to have a hard time setting them up to be competitive last year. It seems Penske figured out the secrets, but will they share them with the Porsche factory and other teams?
    Do you really think Penske brought DHL to the ALMS dance? Take away Porsche influential support and bye bye Penske.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatanut
    They have a car that is a winner on tight tracks. They don't have a chance at an overall win at Le Mans because they have too much drag for the amount of power they have. Some folks don't like the idea that a P2 can beat a P1 ever. I think it's fun that a P2 can beat a P1 at a tight race track, but perfectly reasonable that the P2 doesn't stand a chance at a track with long straights.
    This is very interesting, thanks for the info. I want to ask something about this because I was very interested when our commentator of Le Mans said that Porsche wins in ALMS. Aren't yellow flags a huge part of this? I mean street courses usually provide safety car periods which coul eliminate the advantage of a faster car.
    Formula 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1boat
    This is very interesting, thanks for the info. I want to ask something about this because I was very interested when our commentator of Le Mans said that Porsche wins in ALMS. Aren't yellow flags a huge part of this? I mean street courses usually provide safety car periods which coul eliminate the advantage of a faster car.
    I think yellow flags can be something of a lottery, but they generally just allow the slower cars to catch up with the leader. I don't think they would give an advantage to a P2 over a P1.

American tracks are generally tighter and slower than European tracks, and the Porsche is a momentum car, able to get through the turns faster than the P1, and the relatively short straights sometimes don't give the P1 cars enough room to use their extra power.

Back in the '70's it was kind of the same thing with the Alfa T33's. They would get their clocks cleaned at Le Mans, but at the tighter European circuits, the smaller, lighter Alfa T33's could beat the bigger, more powerful cars.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Interesting. How many races won Audi last year and how many - the Porsche?
    Formula 1