Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When will Porsche give in?

The result at Sebring proved that you can be an LMP2 car that is 2 seconds a lap slower than the P1 cars - but still win.

When are the suits at Stuttgart going to stop messing around and take up an invitation to do Le Mans? I don't buy this excuse that they are waiting for the day to come when the rules change to give them a decent chance of overall victory, just go for it.

They are going to have to build a dome cockpit prototype to comply with the new rules sometime soon anyway, so perhaps they have a P1 design in mind already? Unless they stick with the US market I guess.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Funks
    The result at Sebring proved that you can be an LMP2 car that is 2 seconds a lap slower than the P1 cars - but still win.

When are the suits at Stuttgart going to stop messing around and take up an invitation to do Le Mans? I don't buy this excuse that they are waiting for the day to come when the rules change to give them a decent chance of overall victory, just go for it.

They are going to have to build a dome cockpit prototype to comply with the new rules sometime soon anyway, so perhaps they have a P1 design in mind already? Unless they stick with the US market I guess.
    If they stay in P2, they can keep the open topped car. Only P1 will have the coupe rule.

Remember, the RS Spyder was built at the urging of Porsche Cars North America. My guess is that when Porsche finds the right partner, they will build a P1 car.
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well, they can bring back the 911 GT1 and form the mold to a LMP1 body.

but the ACO only lets Privateers to enter Lemans in the P2 category, I don't think Penske would be allowed since they have backing under Porsche, Dyson on the other hand is a Privateer and could go.
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    But if that is the case and so clear cut, how come Mr Penske doesn't just come out and say so? He has been asked plenty. P1 is crying out for another top name manufacturer at Le Mans - even if the duelling diesels are currently providing for a good match.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    As far as I know, Porsche AG dont enter Le Mans because they dont think they can make any money out of it.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    The fact that Le Mans isn't part of any wider championship, participation in which would bring greater marketing benefits than involvement in one race (even Le Mans), and wouldn't fit readily into one even if the ACO wanted it to, must surely have entered the Porsche bosses' minds as well.

But I'm another who would dearly love to see Porsche's return to La Sarthe.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the RS Spyders will still be at Lemans

31 Team Essex Porsche RS Spyder
    34van Merksteijn Motorsport Porsche RS Spyder
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    the RS Spyders will still be at Lemans

31 Team Essex Porsche RS Spyder
    34van Merksteijn Motorsport Porsche RS Spyder
    But will they have help from Porsche in setting them up? Dyson was known to have a hard time setting them up to be competitive last year. It seems Penske figured out the secrets, but will they share them with the Porsche factory and other teams?
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Another consideration is that Porsche is in the midst of buying VW which owns.... Audi.... do you really want to race against yourself?
    It's all one series now... can't we all get along?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funks
    They have a car that is a winner on tight tracks. They don't have a chance at an overall win at Le Mans because they have too much drag for the amount of power they have. Some folks don't like the idea that a P2 can beat a P1 ever. I think it's fun that a P2 can beat a P1 at a tight race track, but perfectly reasonable that the P2 doesn't stand a chance at a track with long straights.