Page 273 of 1269 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283323373773 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,730 of 12690

Thread: WRC Testing

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    It's big difference in comparison with exactly one year old testing videos of Polo WRC before Germany 2012.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    When watching the videos from VW on Brauneberg, you realize how fast things change... I was there in 2007, when Duval was testing the Xsara (who had a suspicious C4-sound) from Kronos. The difference between my experience then and the video now is so big, hard to describe. To my feeling the biggest difference is the exit from low speed corners. Would be so nice if someone goes to some testing sites that are used year after year, and compare some things like cornering speed, with a speedgun.

Liked 629 Times in 347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B
    When watching the videos from VW on Brauneberg, you realize how fast things change... I was there in 2007, when Duval was testing the Xsara (who had a suspicious C4-sound) from Kronos. The difference between my experience then and the video now is so big, hard to describe. To my feeling the biggest difference is the exit from low speed corners. Would be so nice if someone goes to some testing sites that are used year after year, and compare some things like cornering speed, with a speedgun.
    I still don't get it.....do the new, 1.6 l engines accelerate faster?? Because the torque is still lower compare to old 2.0 liter engines....don't jugde on the sound, as the new cars are louder.
    The speedgun would be a perfect solution, indeed.....

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    With sound off it still looks faster... I believe that up to 4th gear the new 1.6-generation accelerates faster. In Belgium we compared Snijers-MiniWRC01A to Tsjoen-C4WRC08, and up to 4th gear was quite equal. Only when the speed got higher, the 2L WRC was faster. And that is a car that loses probably 0,3-0,5s/km to the other current top-WRC cars. About why the acceleration up to some speed is equal/better compared to the "old" cars, I think we have to search the answer in the gear ratio, transmission etc. But I'm sure there are some people who can give a better explanation than I can.

Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ucci
    I still don't get it.....do the new, 1.6 l engines accelerate faster?? Because the torque is still lower compare to old 2.0 liter engines....don't jugde on the sound, as the new cars are louder.
    The speedgun would be a perfect solution, indeed.....
    As stated in a different thread, engine torque does not mean much when it comes to performance comparison. What matters is HP & RPM and the gearbox ratios.
    1.6L engine have similar power curve as their 2.0L ancestors (only with higher RPMs, probably compensated by a shorter gearbox), so it is safe to assume that their performance are similar. On the other hand, much improvement has been done on suspension, tyres and general handling of the cars (I guess switching to smaller hatchs plays some role in that), hence higher speeds

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwintz
    As stated in a different thread, engine torque does not mean much when it comes to performance comparison. What matters is HP & RPM and the gearbox ratios.
    1.6L engine have similar power curve as their 2.0L ancestors (only with higher RPMs, probably compensated by a shorter gearbox), so it is safe to assume that their performance are similar. On the other hand, much improvement has been done on suspension, tyres and general handling of the cars (I guess switching to smaller hatchs plays some role in that), hence higher speeds
    Totally agree. Probably I could add the shorter wheel base as an advantage to the equation.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

I don't agree. The power curve of new cars must be very different. For example I believe that the one of Focus 08 was almost flat between 3000 and 7000 rpm which is half of the rpm range. No way current cars would have same power in 4000 rpm range. I guess the comparable peak area must be now shorten to something like 2000 rpm which is a quarter of the entire engine range. Torque matters much more on twisty roads than in acceleration on straight where it is rather easy to shift ideally. What actually helps new cars in acceleration is the absence of central differential. I believe it could take around 5% percent of power for it's own loses (the same diff would probably take more Hp with new cars than with the old because of higher operating rpm).

Anyway I personally don't find acceleration of new car somewhat special and definitely not better than of the old cars, even with recent shorter gearing.

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    No way current cars would have same power in 4000 rpm range.
    Engines must be evolved all that time I believe
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

No, that's impossible. New engines have 20% less capacity, half turbo pressure and smaller restrictor. That itself means their characteristics must look completely different than those of the old engines. Direct injection is of course good but can't completely change the engine characteristics.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    VOLKSWAGEN WRC: All the videos of Volkswagen Motorsport's recent pre-Rallye Deutschland tests with Sêbastien Ogier, Jari-Matti Latvala and Andreas Mikkelsen can be found here - in one convenient place: Volkswagen testing for Rallye Deutschland 2013 - ThingLink