I agree with the others, starting with 2WD is always better. If you're a natural you will eventually become fast, whether you begin with 4WD or not. I know of a few who started their carreer a 4WD, and became very fast, but they had never driven anything else and that is a big disadvantage. Start off with FWD, then you'll learn all the essential techniques of driving a 4WD.

Toni Gardemeister once said that driving a WRC is more like driving a S1600 (which is FWD) than an N4 (Group N Evo, Impreza). So if you're aiming for the stars, I'd suggest a FWD.

I don't know everything about your classes and cars in North America, but generally running an N3 (Clio, Fiesta etc.) is cheaper (i.e. they are more reliable) than running a competent Group A or nationally classed 2WD, for the same kind of performance (except Kit Cars). I know you don't have French manufacturers over there, but anyway.

The Golf's you're talking about - I assume they compete in a sort of open 2WD class, with a pretty free regulation? I've seen some footage from North America recently, and the 2WD cars don't seem very fast. What kind of 2WD cars have you got over there? In terms of engine, suspension, gearbox etc.

About buying from Europe, here you'll find all the cars available from WRC to 2WD: http://www.rallycarsforsale.net/