Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MC: "Merger appears to kill ...Portland race..."

C'mon, I realize that you've backed CCWS and all, but isn't that a bit of a negative spin? There will be casualties, but the bottom line is this, and nearly everyone understands this now. The only way for OW to make it is under one roof. That will result in some casualties for sure. But let's hope for the day when venues start bidding for OW races the way they do for NASCAR races now. I'm sorry about Portland, but your headline is a bit too bitter for the moment. IMHO.

The merger didn't kill Portland, it saved OW. Sorry, but true.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We had to kill the dog but the fleas are still alive.

Boy am I happy since you put the positive spin on the series merger (?). Now we can watch the Texas speedway and Kansas speedway and any number of other cookie cutter 1.5 mile triovals. And for this to survive all we had to lose was Portland and Cleveland and Toronto.
    God bless the whole World.

\"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.\"
    President Dwight D. Eisenhower
    April 16, 1953

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    I agree with Roger. As a news outlet, AR1 does seem rather partial at times.

Track axing's are necessary evils that can be repared later, when one series becomes solidly grounded.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nobody went, it was poorly promoted and if you remember back a while it was CC that wanted out of Portland not the other way around.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well, hopefully the IndyCar World Series can try to include all of the former CART tracks in the coming years.
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, but....

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rick
    Boy am I happy since you put the positive spin on the series merger (?). Now we can watch the Texas speedway and Kansas speedway and any number of other cookie cutter 1.5 mile triovals. And for this to survive all we had to lose was Portland and Cleveland and Toronto.

Understand. There are much better (and safer) ow tracks, like those mentioned above. But that's clearly not the point on the day when OW is one again after many frustrating years.

It reminds me of the story of an elephant raging towards a village. The people and the village were all in danger and surely there was to be damage to homes and shops and such. A young brave boy grabs a gun, shoots and frightens the elephant enough so that he avoids the town. All the people are saved but one goof wants an investigation on how a boy was able to grab a gun in the town in the first place.

Do you see what I mean. Yes, you may watch a few races at KC and Texas, but under the current circumstances, how much longer would you have seen any racing in the venues you mentioned. Sorry but the elephant of low ratings, low car counts and honestly low American interest would have threatened CC for good.

The article should have been entitled. Portland may lose race in light of merger" or "Portland to lose race." It cites the fact without laying blame to the "merger." The merger did not "kill" Portland. The fact that nobody cared about OW in Portland (or very few did) killed it and even so, who cares on this day of days?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPVguy
    Nobody went, it was poorly promoted and if you remember back a while it was CC that wanted out of Portland not the other way around.
    I agree with you SoCal. But is funny that a few years ago the IRL was trying to get Portland and Cleveland as part of the race schedule. They will be back if they want to ante up on their promotions and rebuild the track.
    The Only True Triple Crown Winner-- Al Unser Sr. 1978- Indy 500, Pocono 500, Ontario 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmm.......

I was Not going to post again, but I saw this link and had to look...........and here was SoCalPVGuy, Who, I have read many of post from them, and they seem intelligent and business savy......................The Only thing I see wrong, is that, and I may be Wrong, but I do not think SoCalVPGuy has A: Ever Known Tony George on a personal level, nor has SoCalVPGuy Ever Known ANY Of The Champ Car Owners on a personal level, .......... AND B: I do Not believe SoCalVPGuy understands how these men think! And knowing these men, would probably give you some insight on why this keeps dragging on! As I said, "I may be wrong"...........

I tried to express this in another post, but I was pretty much told that I was wrong, and that is fine!

These men do not care about the heritage of open wheel racing, nor do they care about the fans! They care about black amex cards, gulf stream jets, and primarily themselves!

But honestly.....Friday, Tony George asked Champ Car owners to sign a document to never run another open wheel series in north america, that is called a non compete contract. As I told a good friend of mine, it is not in anyone's best interest to sign a non compete contract unless you are already a billionaire or it is a $100 mil buyout!

This thing is very simple actually, but when you are a contol freak, you want things your way or no way........and there is nothing simple with that!

Racing is not a my way or no way sport...........Thats why NASCAR has succeded and open wheel has not!

Call Scott Atherton from ALMS and he could lend some advice as to reviving open wheel racing, just like he did sports car racing! Actually offer him the job to make the "Indy Car World Series" the "fastest racing series on the planet" again!

When People See The Deal Done, Probably Finalized By Homestead Testing, I Am Afraid People Will Not Be Happy..............

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    I was Not going to post again, but I saw this link and had to look...........and here was SoCalPVGuy, Who, I have read many of post from them, and they seem intelligent and business savy......................The Only thing I see wrong, is that, and I may be Wrong, but I do not think SoCalVPGuy has A: Ever Known Tony George on a personal level, nor has SoCalVPGuy Ever Known ANY Of The Champ Car Owners on a personal level, .......... AND B: I do Not believe SoCalVPGuy understands how these men think! And knowing these men, would probably give you some insight on why this keeps dragging on! As I said, "I may be wrong"........... I tried to express this in another post, but I was pretty much told that I was wrong, and that is fine!
    I almost feel guilty telling you are wrong about who I know and how I know them.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    These men do not care about the heritage of open wheel racing, nor do they care about the fans!
    But here you are right - and it was this lack of knowledge of racing heritage and frankly an arrogant distain for the fans b the amigos that lead to the early demise of CCWS. Posssibly if approached differently, CCWS would have been more successful and a merger of equals from a position of strength, not weakness, could have occurred and they could have dictated a more favorable combination of equipment, tracks, schedule, etc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PA Rick
    For 2008 a least. The IRL has binding contracts to hold the races on its schedule on the date agreed upon. They may be changed only a mutual agreement to cancel or change the date, the venue/promoter not living up to the agreement (i.e. not paying), or by an act of God.