Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW's ...

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts

BMW's ...

Still looking at getting a new/newish car. Not that I'm getting one, but having looked at the website and reviews, just why are they so expensive? Not much car for a lot of money - even the new Mini is the same. Is it just being a snob makes people buy them. I'm always open to arguments, but is there anything special about them. Ferrari's, Porsche's - I can see the point, but BMW, am I missing something?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wannabe cars rival to the wannabe per excellence Mercedes, I guess.

I like BMW's though.
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Well I have driven BMW for two years now (330Ci) and I think it have a certain touch to it. First of all it handles excelelnt, and secondly there have not been one fault what so ever.
    I am now driving Mini instead though...
    Mercedes are also building beautiful cars, but I think their handling is not as good as the BMW, and I also see to many uncles in hat driving around in them. Itīs like a car for the older generation.
    I might by an Audi next time though. Excellent quality, not quite the handling, but with a nice design. They are very expensive aswell though...
    If you go to the high end, like the M6 or something like that, you actually have a rather cheap and very fast car. I probably wouldnīt trade it for a porsche, but itīs a close call.
    I think you get what you pay for.
    Want a 330Ci btw for special forum price?
    Winner Best Signature Championship 2007! Winner of BSC 2008! Winner of BSC 2009!

Liked 580 Times in 212 Posts
    I have to say that I saw Magnus' car last week and think it looks very stylish I want one!!
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    they are a premium brand so you pay a premium price. Better to take a dispassionate look and decide which you like best regardless of the badge. eg The Ford Mondeo is regarded by many as just as good as an average BMW but people won't buy it because the badge isn't prestige enough.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I must say mark, with risk for being banned, that a Ford Mondeo, öh, you canīt compare them in the same day actually...
    IMHO
    You obv have a point about the badge though, but I do not believe that Ford can compete in any way, except price, with BMW, Mercedes or Audi. That would maybe be if you called Volvo a Ford, but I try to avoid that
    Winner Best Signature Championship 2007! Winner of BSC 2008! Winner of BSC 2009!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Over here... BMW has earned a well deserved reputation as...

A Drivers Car !!!

We see a lot of BMW's @ track day events, second only to Porsche's and Corvette's.

BMW's perform and hold up very well... and a well driven BMW can be a hand full for drivers with Porsche Boxers and earlier 911 models.

You pay a high initial price for the BMW badge... but you do get some of it back upon resale.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    BMW in particular in the UK as well as down here in the colonies has gained a reputation, not based on the cars themselves but the people who tend to buy them, as ****er's cars. Having said this, BMW build cars which are about 3% more reliable than anything else.

I think that if people are prepared to pay a premium for a badge, then they'll also tend to look after said car better. In my experience, the general levels of reliability of Mercedes-Benzs, BMWs, Audis et al is no better than say a well looked after Corolla or Astra.

I would tend to buy a better equipped car for the same purse than chase badge snobbery... having said this I do own a 450SEL 6.9 Mercedes Benz which at the time was the world's most expensive motor car - 30 years later every mechanical and electrical system on board is eclipsed by even a Kia Rio.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    BMW in particular in the UK as well as down here in the colonies has gained a reputation, not based on the cars themselves but the people who tend to buy them, as ****er's cars. Having said this, BMW build cars which are about 3% more reliable than anything else.

I think that if people are prepared to pay a premium for a badge, then they'll also tend to look after said car better. In my experience, the general levels of reliability of Mercedes-Benzs, BMWs, Audis et al is no better than say a well looked after Corolla or Astra.

I would tend to buy a better equipped car for the same purse than chase badge snobbery... having said this I do own a 450SEL 6.9 Mercedes Benz which at the time was the world's most expensive motor car - 30 years later every mechanical and electrical system on board is eclipsed by even a Kia Rio.
    That may be true for the average customer who is buying a "Prestiged Brand" (for preceived status)...

Be it BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Aston Martins, Lambo's, etc. ,
    who use these cars as their daily driver, or with the Lambo & Aston, as weekend cruisers.

There are a few owners who actually take their cars out... to the track, enabling them to experience and enjoy the performance these cars offer.

You don't see many Merc's, Audi's, Jaguars, etc. on a road course.... and the VERY FEW.. that you do see,

Lumber around as rolling Chacines !!!

You will SEE quite a few BMW's at road courses, running with Porsche's, Corvette's, Nissan's 350 ZX, Evo's, etc..

That's why... BMW has earned their fame as...

A Driver's Car !!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    You have a point Rollo. At the same time I must say that BMWs seem solid as a rock, but it maybe that they last as long as a KIA anyway. I must also say though that the new series seem a bit plastic to me, I prefer the older ones. Except maybe for the Z3 and Z4 design, which I find a bit inspiring.