Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    Lately I've been spending too many hours watching tv, I'd like to get back reading books, and not the mystery scifi crap or books where christmas gnomes carry a magical thingymajigs and fight dragons on their way to some place no-one can pronounce.

I need good, straigtforward books where good men are shot dead with machine guns and explosions maim the unfortunate.

I did like the early Tom Clancy's before the writer began preaching his own political opinions too much, I've read the McLean's Higginses, Sven Hassells to name a few.

Help me.
    I really liked the Jurassic Park novel - straightforward, suspenseful, although less guns and more Velociraptors.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    "Where's Wally" is a good read
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    "Where's Wally" is a good read
    Trying to find Wally in the land of Wallys always made me distraught. :

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rah
    Mate I know what you are saying. I also like it when the good guy is not a super human that can do no wrong. Try Chris Ryan or Any McNab. Definately great reads. There are more I could name, but my memory is terrible.
    I think I've read McNab book or two, at least I haven't found any more in the library.

Quote Originally Posted by malscar
    Or try Robert Ludlum or some of the old Douglas Reeman bboks
    Been there, done those.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicpanda
    Clive Cussler's good.

And for a bit of a laugh, try Terry Pratchet. No machine guns, but definitely explosions. There are magical gnomes and things but it's all spoofed.
    I think I read a Cussler or two few years ago, wasn't that impressed though, Pratchet it out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by jim mcglinchey
    Black Hawk Down, even if you've seen the film. The book is the most exciting shoot em up you'll ever read. No fannying about setting the scene either, page 1 and theyre jumping out of ther choppers and the action doesnt stop until the last page.
    It's a good book, better than the movie for sure.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    James Ellroy. If you saw that film LA Confidential and you liked it you'll love Ellroy's books.

Henning Mankell. Now there's a hero (Kurt Wallander) who isn't superhuman, although I suspect you already know more about him than I would.

Haruki Murakami. A great mix of reality with very strange while still being easy to read.

Paul Auster. Good stories.

Arturo Pérez-Reverte......

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fandango
    James Ellroy. If you saw that film LA Confidential and you liked it you'll love Ellroy's books.

Henning Mankell. Now there's a hero (Kurt Wallander) who isn't superhuman, although I suspect you already know more about him than I would.
    I think I've read that particular Ellroy book, but didn't find it that interesting so I haven't look further.
    I tried to read a Wallander book few months ago, but left it half way done, it didn't strike as anything special to me. They've shown some Wallander movies here the past few months, haven't seen them either.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Try Jean-Patric Manchette. He's never been soft on good guys in his books.
    Llibertat

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    Lately I've been spending too many hours watching tv, I'd like to get back reading books, and not the mystery scifi crap or books where christmas gnomes carry a magical thingymajigs and fight dragons on their way to some place no-one can pronounce.

I need good, straigtforward books where good men are shot dead with machine guns and explosions maim the unfortunate.

I did like the early Tom Clancy's before the writer began preaching his own political opinions too much, I've read the McLean's Higginses, Sven Hassells to name a few.

Help me.
    Author: Bernard Cornwell

Book(s): The Warlord Chronicles (there are 3 books in the series) first book is "The Winter King", cant remember the title of the second book and the third book is called "Excalibur"

Best series of books I have ever read and I have read a lot of books!!!.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm reading now Jan Guilluo's Tjuvarnas marknad, the last one was Arto Paasilinna's Ukkosen jumalan poika (The son of the thundergod) a bloody funny book. I like also Henning Mankell's books a lot.
    Aja kovaa Pena.