Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    That's my concern. Would Emerson Fittipaldi, for example, really want to be racing against a whipper-snapper fresh out of F1? So far, the series has had a very relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere for those taking part, but it could become a serious championship eventually, which is taking it away from the orignal idea.
    They need to keep it the way it has been. More races obviously would be nice, but keep the younger guys out. Good to see "old" men thrashing GP cars about
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts

Cool

The latest info I have is that there will be six GPM races in 2007 - Qatar (31st March), England, Germany, Romania (a street circuit around the Parliament Palace in Bucharest), South Africa and Australia.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Albert Park I'm assuming. Although having the GPM series at Adelaide would be mad.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    Albert Park I'm assuming. Although having the GPM series at Adelaide would be mad.
    Champ Car may need a support race for Surfers... (just wishful thinking)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Liked the concept, but haven't been able to see a race. (I'm sure watching it on computer isn't an option with Windows 98 system, and a slow internet connection)

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    I was at the Silverstone race I absolutely enjoyed it even though the weather was atrocious. It was fantastic getting close the likes of Mansell and Emmo Fittipaldi - who re-grew his amazing sideburns!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    They're showing it for the first time in Australia on New Years Eve on Ten!!!
    2008 NASCAR CUP SCRAMBLE CHAMPION

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    I can't say I enjoyed Losail that much How does it compare with the Kyalami and Silverstone races?

Kyalami was a good start for the series. Most of the drivers were fairly cautious, which was understandable given they hadn't raced a single seater for many years. Also the cars were new and the drivers had no idea how they, the cars and the tyres would do in the race.

Losail was not great, largely because the circuit had been designed for bikes not cars. Salazar's car had to be towed back to the pits simply because the gaps in the armco were not wide enough for the GPM car. That meant the first long safety car period, before the race was broken up again when de Cesaris beached in the gravel. In between the safety car periods the racing was close and competitive.

Silverstone was very nearly a disaster due to engine problems, which restricted running for everyone. The race was run in damp/wet conditions which certainly livened things up. Again we saw plenty of wheel to wheel racing.

The series has had its problems but the drivers remain as enthusiastic as they were when they first tested the GPM car. The series is not intended to be an ultra-competitive step on the motorsport ladder and should not be seen in that way. It is nostalgic for those of us who like seeing the drivers we grew up watching race again, and it is fun for them to be racing again.

More news - Herbert, Nannini, Moreno and Boesel have signed up to race, and there are likely to be 4 races.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56133