Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yep

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    The 2007 Grand Prix Masters leg, which was scheduled to be held at the Losail International Circuit in late March, has been moved to November this year. This was confirmed by Nasser bin Khalifa Al Attiyah, President of the Qatar Motor and Motorcycle Federation (QMMF), yesterday.

“The change in the dates was requested by the Masters Series drivers. The drivers felt the first stop of the Grand Prix Masters series was clashing with the Formula One season and hence the request to change the dates of the Doha leg,” Nasser told The Peninsula.

“We are happy with this change. It gives us a better chance to market our race properly. We have had an extremely busy time in the past few months. We have been staging local events regularly at Losail Circuit since January this year.

“Besides numerous local racing events, we also staged the first round of the 2007 World Superbike Championship last week. In another week or so, we will be hosting the first round of the 2007 MotoGP calendar. We have been busy promoting these races.

“We had been left with very little time to stage the Grand Prix Masters series race. Since we have changed the date to November, we feel it will give ample opportunity and time to marjet our race properly,” Nasser explained.

Nasser said he met Scott Poulter, Chairman of GP Masters, before announcing the change in Doha dates.
    http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    I hope someone burns the Losail circuit, its just woeful. Whys GPM racing there anyway?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Damon Hill in GPM racing against Schumi and Mansell?

The prospect is mouth watering to say the least, and I think Damon would do it in the future but in the next couple of years.
    Give Me Novacaine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    I hope someone burns the Losail circuit, its just woeful. Whys GPM racing there anyway?
    There are more reasons to race at Losail than not to. From the drivers perspective, it is a very relaxed and secure environment. It provided a great opportunity for all the drivers to interact and concentrate on setting their cars up. It was, after all, only the second race in the series and the first race for the newcomers. The facilities are fanstastic compared to some other circuits in Europe. Ultimately I think they may have been invited to hold a race there.

I didn't see the whole GPM race, only parts of it on TV as it was happening in the cool airconditioned pits. For those that don't know, the problem for cars at Losail seemed to revolve around its design. The run offs are deep gravel and gaps in the armco apparently designed for bikes so clearing any stopped car was excruciatingly slow resulting in numerous safety car laps. Its something the circuit should address. When they were racing (and not under the safety car) the action was very close, as the lap times will verify. I think the Losail track did test the drivers fitness and proved the GPM cars reliability. So,as for 'Burning Losail' - I would give it a second chance to redeem itself.

The GP Masters website has been relaunched today.