Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts

Grand Prix Masters

Well, we've had three GPM races so far - Kyalami, Losail, Silverstone - so what are people's opinions on the series? If you've watched any of the races what do you think? If you haven't, why not? Are you excited at seeing the likes of Fittipaldi and Mansell racing again? If you've enjoyed it so far how do you think things can improve?

If you don't know what I'm talking about - http://www.gpmasters.com/
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I enjoyed Kylami but I haven't seen any since. Its a crime its only on sky! should be on the beeb all the time with muzza talking us thru.

Sonic
    Success without honor is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your hunger, but it won't taste good

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    So far I've only seen the pilot race at Kyalami last year. Good event with better racing than I thought was possible for that go-kart track.

If they can sort out a reliable engine, reliable clander and a few more cars then I think they're on to a winner.

There's talk that the age limit for the series (currently 45+) may be lowered, and that the likes of Jean Alesi & Johnny Herbert are thinking about taking part. That could mean a major change in the series. Perhaps, as their F1 careers end we'll see drivers move straight into GPM eventually...

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    How about a 5 year gap from when they finish their F1 careers? That'd be enough methinks, possibly less than that.

But the loophole comes in where F1 drivers last race in F1 at a very early age, so you could theoretically have 60 year olds against 28 year olds.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We don't get coverage here in India So no GPM for me.
    "When the situation arises you stay where you are or go for it. I prefer the latter" - JPM

For a fee of £2.99 the races have been available to watch 'live' on the GPM website, which has been useful for those of us without Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    ...so you could theoretically have 60 year olds against 28 year olds.
    That's my concern. Would Emerson Fittipaldi, for example, really want to be racing against a whipper-snapper fresh out of F1? So far, the series has had a very relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere for those taking part, but it could become a serious championship eventually, which is taking it away from the orignal idea.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    For a fee of £2.99 the races have been available to watch 'live' on the GPM website, which has been useful for those of us without Sky
    I tried that when the first race of the season was on this year, it wasnt available to UK residents at the time.

That's my concern. Would Emerson Fittipaldi, for example, really want to be racing against a whipper-snapper fresh out of F1? So far, the series has had a very relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere for those taking part, but it could become a serious championship eventually, which is taking it away from the orignal idea.
    Emo doesnt seem to have much trouble against the likes of Lammers and Johanson, two drivers that have been in regular competition for the last 30 years.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    I have lost interest since it began, largely because of the lack of decent live terrestrial TV coverage. I must say that I've always agreed with Martin Brundle's view that a series more like the old Procar championship would be better than open-wheelers, thus allowing people to lean on one another a bit, rather than being over-careful in order to avoid major accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I have lost interest since it began, largely because of the lack of decent live terrestrial TV coverage. I must say that I've always agreed with Martin Brundle's view that a series more like the old Procar championship would be better than open-wheelers, thus allowing people to lean on one another a bit, rather than being over-careful in order to avoid major accidents.
    TV coverage is a problem, and the sooner GPM can get terrestrial coverage the better.

Like you I thought a Procar-style series would be good, but Riccardo Patrese made it clear to me that the only reason he was racing again was because GPM gave him the opportunity to race single-seaters again. He has no interest in tin-tops.

Also, part of the concept of GPM is nostalgic in that we see ex-F1 drivers in the kind of cars they used to race.