15th Jul 07, 13:10 #1
Name your top 5 favourite World Champions and reasons why
My list and reasons why:
Juan Manuel Fangio - Had that supreme talent and graceful driving style and human characteristics that made him stand out as a World champion
Jim Clark - Also sublime as well. A fantastic and amazing sportsman like Fangio.
Keke Rosberg - THE Flying Finn. Very brash and bold, was a chain smoking racers racer. His driving style looks fantastic! On the limit, daring and spectacular.
Alan Jones - The prototypical Williams driver, tough inside the car and out. He was quite intimidating and aggressive on the racetrack yet fair. A fighter, like Rosberg. "A mans man" as Frank Williams put it.
Sir Jack Brabham - he was a huge factor in the arrival of rear engined cars in Formula 1, was a great car developer, tough and aggressive driver, and won the championship in his own make. Also the only driver to win a championship pushing his car across the line!
What are your choices?Formerly known as theugsquirrel
15th Jul 07, 13:28 #2
I am not that lucky and I haven't be able to see that great drivers you mentioned.
My fave champion is Damon Hill, than Hakkinen, Michael Shumacher, Mansell and Alonso.
16th Jul 07, 06:33 #3Formerly known as theugsquirrel
16th Jul 07, 07:50 #4
1. Michael Schumacher - 5 titles for Ferrari. Enough said.
2. Alberto Ascari - 2 titles for Ferrari and Italian to boot!
3. Niki Lauda - 2 titles for Ferrari that broke a long winless period.
4. Alain Prost - should have won the '90 title for Ferrari and I've always preferred him to that arrogant ****er Senna.
5. Jim Clark - Arguably the quickest guy F1 has ever seen. One of, if not the, defining images of F1 for me is Jim Clark and the Lotus 49.Forza Ferrari!!
16th Jul 07, 22:38 #5
1. Senna. Best driver ever.
2. Hill. My favourite driver.
3. Surtees. Won on two and four wheels, unique
4. Mansell. Stunning driver.
5. Piquet. Under-rated despite 3 titles.Niente è vero, tutto è permesso
3rd Oct 07, 14:39 #6
Only from personal experience
1. Clark (better than all his contempories 62-68)
5 Stewart (to be replaced by Lewis next Sunday )
3rd Oct 07, 16:14 #7
Isn't it rather pointless to try to start this when there's an active thread called "Name your top 3 Formula 1 drivers and why". The answers should be the same except that this we can include Ascari this time, given that his back to back championships were earned in Formula 2 cars disqualifying him from the previous thread.Duncan Rollo
The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
3rd Oct 07, 17:03 #8
- Join Date
- Jun 2007
1. Jackie Stewart (Told Francois Cevert all he knew)
2. Mika Hakkinen (Great guy, Great driver!)
3. Nigel Mansell (Did it for the fans)
4. Niki Lauda (Brave and Stunning)
5. Jochen Rindt (Should, Could and Would have done so much more)
Others like Clark, Surtees and Graham Hill, I can't remember, so that's why there not on there?
3rd Oct 07, 18:26 #9
1 - Mansell - my favourite driver ever, stunningly fast often unlucky
2 - Schumacher - the best all round driver the sport has seen
3 - Senna - the fastest and most ruthless driver the sport has seen
4 - Hunt - legendary character
5 - Stewart - could have won more world titles if he'd not retired so earlyMessage to Ganassi - Get Sterling in the #40 full-time. Those were the days.
3rd Oct 07, 20:18 #10
6th Oct 07, 13:15 #11
- Join Date
- Jan 2007
- Leeds, United Kingdom
1. Jackie Stewart - the ultimate professional, who revolutionised the sport in many ways.
2. James Hunt - the last of the swashbuckling heroes.
3. Ayrton Senna - took commitment to a new level
4. Mika Hakkinen - quite simply, very fast.
5. Jim Clark - one of the most natural drivers ever.