PDA

View Full Version : NZ Rally Championship 2007

Maui J.
23rd December 2006, 22:51
Interested to see who, and in what cars, will be lining up for the 2007 NZ Championship.

Richard Mason is currently building a new Impreza. Same as Westie and Sam ones from this year. He's hoping to have it ready to enter some of the Production Car rounds of the Summer Racing Series as well.

Neil Allport Motorsport is building 4 Fiesta ST for newly introduced Fiesta Sporting Trophy which will run in the National Championship events. Not sure who has lined up drives in these.

Anyone got any news on other drivers.... Westie, Emma Gilmour, Sam Murray, Dylan Turner, Brett Martin, Dean Sumner, Mark Tapper, etc.

Hopefully some of the Rally Extreme runners will step up to the national championship in 2007 as well.

Mihai
30th December 2006, 22:05
This year I followed on Motors TV most of the rounds of the 2006 NZ rally championship (Rally of Otago became my favourite). Interesting points scoring system, on each leg of the rally, not to mention the technical regulations for the Kiwi 2 category. As a motorsport journalist, I watch and I travel to rallies all over the world, but New Zealand definitely has what it takes for a fabulous national championship, especially the roads. I'd like to live there too for a while, to discover the country on a mountain-bike.

There is a remote possibility for me to attend the 2007 Rally New Zealand. In this case, I'd like to have a Lion Red with you, Kiwi rally fans, there. Till then, please keep me up to date with news from the NZ rally championship. :up:

Erki
31st December 2006, 14:37
I also watched the NZ rc on Motors TV. Simply awesome roads!

atsiotras79
31st December 2006, 15:30
Me too! Great roads, great action!
I wish I had some cards in my collection from crews from NZ!

Erki
31st December 2006, 23:59
@Mihai: what is there so special about Kiwi 2 tech regulations?

Mihai
1st January 2007, 11:50
You can use any engine as long as it is sourced from the same manufacturer as the car (although you can't make any modifications to the engine compartment/bodyshell). In an interview I saw on Motor TV, a competitor said he will put an Evo 6 engine on his Mitsubishi (Colt?)-based Kiwi 2 rally car. These cars should have normally aspirated engines but I think he got an approval from the NZ rally governing body or something.

Southern Kiwi
1st January 2007, 23:42
Hi guys
as one of the organising team for the Otago Rally its amazing to learn that it has been screened in Romania! In 2007, the Otago Rally will once again be the first round of the NZ Rally Championship and will be held on the weekend of 13-15 April. Planning is well advanced and details for anyone interested will be progressively posted on http://www.otagorally.co.nz

The Kiwi 2 class is for 2WD cars that may be modified as per the regulations approved by Motorsport NZ - see http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Pdf/06%20Schedule%202WD.pdf
I'm not aware of an Evo 6 powered car - the rules state that engines shall be naturally aspirated. The class has developed as a low cost way to compete in a 2WD car and has worked well to provide an opportunity for competitors who can't afford to run N4 cars at the top level. In 2007 the NZRC will see the addition of the Fiesta Sporting trophy and we are all waiting to see how that will develop.

Mihai
2nd January 2007, 10:48
Good on ya, mate! Keep on the good work! :up: As long as it'll be broadcasted by Motors TV, I'll be watching this year's NZ rally championship too. We have photo contests on Romanian forums (something like 'Name the car' but you have to name the driver primarily) and images of Mason, Gilmour and West are a common sight. Spotcha later! :)

Whinlatter
3rd January 2007, 13:00
Don't suppose there are any rallies on in NZ during the last two weeks of February are there?

I know it's before the season proper begins, but I'm touring with the wife and was hoping to see some motorsport (preferably rallying) while I'm there - I'm on South Island the weekend of 17/18 Feb and North Island on 24/25 Feb.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Carlo
4th January 2007, 04:50
Could I suggest that yoiu change your weekends around. 17/18 is a major race meeting at Manfeild which is in the lower part of the North Island. V8's GT3 Porsche Formula Ford and Toyota Racing Series amongst the classes competing. This is a B I G Meeting

25th is the Southern Festival of speed race meeting around the streets of Dunedin. This is an international classic car race meeting and one not to be missed

Whinlatter
4th January 2007, 09:13
Could I suggest that yoiu change your weekends around. 17/18 is a major race meeting at Manfeild which is in the lower part of the North Island. V8's GT3 Porsche Formula Ford and Toyota Racing Series amongst the classes competing. This is a B I G Meeting

25th is the Southern Festival of speed race meeting around the streets of Dunedin. This is an international classic car race meeting and one not to be missed
Wish I could Carlo, but we've booked all the hotels and an internal flight already so I'm afraid that's not possible - can't even find a speedway track that's running on those days without travelling 200 miles! We're in Hawkes Bay on the 25th so we're way too far from Dunedin..... :(

Thanks anyway!

Maui J.
23rd January 2007, 21:43
Was listening to Radio Sport the other day while the A1 was on in Taupo. They interviewed Dean Sumner. He is building an EVO IX for this year's NZ Championship. Sponsors the same as last year with ITM the main one.

Mihai
23rd January 2007, 23:24
Will Dean continue to burn $9 a litre world rally fuel like he did last year ?

Fleur
12th February 2007, 01:55
Will Dean continue to burn $9 a litre world rally fuel like he did last year ?

Who told you he was running that???
The championship regulations don't allow ELF or WRC fuel in the national championship, except for Rotorua. He may have run it there, and at Rally NZ, but he is very very very unlikely to have run it at the other rounds. Can't say he didn't for sure, but if the regs say only AVGAS or pump fuel, well, Dean's not a cheat.

Carlo
15th February 2007, 23:52
Who told you he was running that???
The championship regulations don't allow ELF or WRC fuel in the national championship, except for Rotorua. He may have run it there, and at Rally NZ, but he is very very very unlikely to have run it at the other rounds. Can't say he didn't for sure, but if the regs say only AVGAS or pump fuel, well, Dean's not a cheat.

Regular technical inspections including fuel samples are part of NZ Championship events, if he was using ELF / WRC/ FIA fuel then not only would it have shown up there but you can smell the damn stuff a mile away and we would have all known about it. Fuel samples are randomly taken while waiting to book in at Service Parks, from fuel carried on service vehicles and at post event scruitineering. To date no one in NZ rallying has been identified as to be using the incorrect fuel. The results of all technical inspections are posted on the MotorSport NZ website for all to view

I agree with Fleur, There is absolutely no evidence to suggets that Dean is a cheat

Mihai
16th February 2007, 08:26
I read it on the net last year. It's true, the story was about Rotorua only (click here to read it) (http://www.dailypost.co.nz/localsport/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3685613&thesection=localsport&thesubsection=). I wasn't suggesting at all that he is a cheat.

sweep
22nd February 2007, 19:47
He used this fuel in Rotorua. He didn't use to much as the engine was overheating and he DNF.

Maui J.
27th February 2007, 09:03
Hayden Paddon will be entering this year's championship in the same EVO 8 he used last year.

From Motorsport NZ Website
Paddon and Jones join forces for 2007 rally season

The BNT ‘Driving into the future’ rally program run by past New Zealand Rally Champion, Reece Jones is this year entering its second year of competition. 2007 brings support for a new driver and team, Hayden Paddon and the “Paddon Team Green” being the lucky recipients of this exciting package that is sure to give their campaign a boost.

“It is a very exciting opportunity and program to be part of” said 19 year old Hayden after hearing the news that they had been chosen.

The program was set-up by Reece and Kay Jones in 2006 to help young talent in New Zealand rallying get a step forward in what is a very difficult sport to move forward in. The package includes a support package from New Zealand’s premier car parts supplier, BNT and technical support and advice from Reece Jones Rallysport.

“It’s great to have Reece and his team helping us this season, and I’m sure that their experience and expertise will be a huge boost to our campaign and future ahead. Also to have BNT and Greg Horne part of our team is fantastic and I look forward to having the ‘Green Machine’ near the top of the pack sporting the blue and red BNT colour’s.”

Maui J.
1st March 2007, 06:14
From RallySport Magazine.

American Ken Block, the runner-up in the 2006 US rally championship, and winner of the recent second round of the American Rally Championship, will drive a Sam Murray FRAM racing team car in half of this year’s six New Zealand Rally Championship rounds.

Ken Block is flying towards New Zealand. Block, who featured earlier this week on http://www.rallysportmag.com.au for his record breaking rally car jump, will start his campaign with the season-opening Rally of Otago on April 14-15.

The Subaru WRX STi he and regular co-driver, Italian born Alex Gelsomino, will share is similar to the car he rallies in the United States, right down to being left-hand drive.

However, it’s built to full Group N Production Car regulations, unlike the highly powered Open Class version Block drives in America.

That’s the reason Block views the New Zealand events as a good build-up to his plan to contest the Production Car World Rally Championship.

“One main reason I’m coming down to race is that I want more experience driving Group N production cars,” he says.

Block’s schedule also takes in the Whangarei round (May 11-13), and Rally of New Zealand on August 31-September 2. He may also contest the championship finale at Nelson.

It would be great to see his team mate (Travis Pastana) down this way as well!

hooligan74
1st March 2007, 14:20
With the exeception of the two internationals, the rest of the NZRC is inscribed national, is it not? I assume you need a MSNZ competition licence, which means you have to be living in NZ.

Fleur
8th March 2007, 22:21
With the exeception of the two internationals, the rest of the NZRC is inscribed national, is it not? I assume you need a MSNZ competition licence, which means you have to be living in NZ.

The three rallies that he has confirmed at this stage all run on an international permit, allowing him to compete.

Maybe he is hoping Nelson will also run on an international permit??

LeonBrooke
9th March 2007, 06:56
Surely Emma Gilmour will win something this year, and I don't mean a stage or two here and there, I mean a rally or even the championship. If she has a reliable car she'll do it, I'm sure :)

ian959
13th March 2007, 04:03

Not quite correct I believe - a driver can compete overseas as long as their licence is endorsed with the appropriate authority by their national ASN and it is accepted by the ASN of the country in which the driver is to compete (generally the latter is a formality). Think National Sporting Code Rule 44 covers this for NZ (rule 49 covers the other way for NZ licence holders).

There may be other regulations specific to a championship that may not allow them to earn championship points, but they can still usually compete as an ineligible competitor.

anstis
24th March 2007, 04:40
i just read on MSNZ website that Alister Mcrae is confirmed for the NZRC

heres a link

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Rally/news/news22Mar07Alister%20McRae.htm

wow. fantastic news!

LeonBrooke
24th March 2007, 06:00
Very cool :cool:

Maui J.
27th March 2007, 10:46
i just read on MSNZ website that Alister Mcrae is confirmed for the NZRC
heres a link
http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Rally/news/news22Mar07Alister%20McRae.htm
wow. fantastic news!

Yeah, I just read that too on WRC.com

Great news!

Looking forward to some great battles at the front of the pack.

Maui J.
27th March 2007, 10:56
1 Ken Block USA NZRC - GpN 4WD Subaru Impreza WRX
2 Emma Gilmour Dunedin NZRC - GpN 4WD Subaru Impreza WRX
3 David Hills Oyster Bay Australia Gp N - 4WD Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 7
4 Callum McInnes Tauranga NZRC - GpN 4WD Subaru Impreza WRX
5 Patrick Malley Auckland NZRC - GpN 4WD Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8
6 Brett Martin Taihape NZRC - GpN 4WD Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9
7 Richard Mason Masterton NZRC - GpN 4WD Subaru Impreza WRX
8 Alister McRae Scotland NZRC - GpN 4WD Subaru Impreza WRX
9 Sam Murray Palmerston Nth NZRC - GpN 4WD Subaru Impreza WRX
10 Kirsty Nelson Waiotira NZRC - GpN 4WD Subaru Impreza WRX
11 Haydon Paddon Geraldine NZRC - GpN 4WD Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8
12 Dean Sumner Rotorua NZRC - GpN 4WD Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9
13 Stewart Taylor Havelock North NZRC - GpN 4WD Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9
14 Nathan Thomas Wellington NZRC - GpN 4WD Subaru Impreza WRX
15 Dylan Turner Auckland NZRC - GpN 4WD Mitsubishi Lancer Evo
16 Kayne Barrie Auckland NZRC - GpN 2WD Ford Fiesta ST
17 Chris Lange Invercargill NZRC - GpN 2WD Ford Fiesta ST
18 Dermott Malley Havelock North NZRC - GpN 2WD Ford Fiesta ST
19 Mark Tapper Auckland NZRC - GpN 2WD Ford Fiesta ST
20 Cheyne Booth Hunua NZRC - K2 Suzuki Ignis Sport
21 Aaron Cook Porirua NZRC - K2 Honda Jazz
22 Reg Cook Auckland NZRC - K2 Nissan Pulsar
23 Andrew Keighley Auckland NZRC - K2 Honda CRX
24 Dave Strong Auckland NZRC - K2 Honda Civic
25 Mike Cameron Waipuku NZRC/Classic Mitsubishi Lancer
26 Keith Frankum Hastings NZRC/Classic Toyota Corolla AE86
27 Euan Fuge Feilding NZRC/Classic Mazda RX3
28 Deb Kibble Wellington NZRC/Classic Mitsubishi Lancer
29 Bert Murray Palmerston Nth NZRC/Classic Mazda RX7
30 Rob Wylie Auckland NZRC/Classic Nissan 240RS

No Chris West, no Lee-Anne Barns, good to see Kirsty Nelson entered though.

Full list including classic rally, rally extreme event here
http://www.otagorally.co.nz/otago.asp?articleid=1903

Livewireshock
27th March 2007, 14:45
The entry list looks very interesting. I am making the big move myself & going to Dunedin for the Otago Rally. Looking forward to seeing how things are run on the other side of the Tasman.

GigiGalliNo1
27th March 2007, 14:52
WRC.com say Alister is taking part too. Oo la laa!!! Hey they said quote

"His first appearance will be in the Otago Rally, based at Dunedin, on 13-15 April. Scot McRae now lives in Perth, Western Australia, and his most recent appearance on the world championship scene was when he drove a Toyota Corolla S2000 on the 2006 Wales Rally GB.?His greatest recent success was when he won the 2006 Zulu Rally."

Correct me if I'm wrong but is Alister - Scot McRae?

And now where can I find him? Close to my place? haha Shame, have yet to spot him in this small city!

raybak
27th March 2007, 15:19
David Hills seems seeded very high, looks like the Fiesta series is very strong. Wish I could be over there but have other ralyl commitments here.

Ray

Erki
27th March 2007, 17:02

What do you mean? Alister is the little brother of Colin Himself who incidentally is very scottish(as you may have heard :) ).

But interesting that he chose to move to Perth. Or maybe he likes isolation? Just once in a while, between the rallies, to relax in peace and quiet? :) And why did he move to Oz in the first place?

Addicted
28th March 2007, 00:57
Maybe Alister likes to get different challenges now as he is getting old and getting closer to end of his career?

Anyway, good luck for him down there!

Rally Hokkaido
28th March 2007, 01:00
WRC.com say Alister is taking part too. Oo la laa!!! Hey they said quote

"His first appearance will be in the Otago Rally, based at Dunedin, on 13-15 April. Scot McRae now lives in Perth, Western Australia, and his most recent appearance on the world championship scene was when he drove a Toyota Corolla S2000 on the 2006 Wales Rally GB.?His greatest recent success was when he won the 2006 Zulu Rally."

Err, perhaps there should have been a comma after 'Scot'.
Scot = person from Scotland.
BTW, I knew he was married to a lady from perth, didn't know they were living in Australia, though. Definitely, a big plus for rallies in Asia-Pacific region!

Fleur
28th March 2007, 06:07
Yes, Alister is based in Perth, with his australian wife. (thats why OZ).
And the list is an ENTRY list only, not a seeded list. Its just in alphabetical order and listed by class.
And yes, its just ment to be Scot, as it a person from Scotland...

Southern Kiwi
28th March 2007, 10:40
And the list is an ENTRY list only, not a seeded list. Its just in alphabetical order and listed by class....

thanks Fleur, just what I was going to say.. Can also add Chris West to the list so should all be very competitive over the Otago crests!
Total entry now 97

raybak
28th March 2007, 13:19
97 cars is a very strong entry, bit different to the poor excuse for an ARC.

Ray

Whinlatter
18th April 2007, 08:33
Any photos from the Otago event anywhere? Would love to see the classics, there's some quality cars still running down there.

Looking at the Main rally times it seems McRae had the pace to be 3rd behind Mason and Gilmour, but lost 1.5mins on stage 12.....

LeonBrooke
18th April 2007, 09:47
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=247754&postcount=12

I've posted some links to some photos, but they're hardly comprehensive...

logy
19th April 2007, 22:51
have a look at www.nzsnaps.com (http://www.nzsnaps.com) it has hundreds of photos