PDA

View Full Version : Who likes the new forums?

RaikkonenRules
5th December 2006, 19:35
Do you like the new forums?

Powered by Cosworth
5th December 2006, 19:38
I'm not keen on the Horizontal layout, I prefer the name down the side of the post not on top.

Beggers can't be choosers.

Other than that once its all skinned and such it should pwn.

RaceFanStan
5th December 2006, 20:02
I just got here, made a post & then came to feedback.
This format is very likeable & much faster.
It feels a little strange but I expect I can make it "home". :D

AndySpeed
5th December 2006, 20:08
I think that you can opt to put usernames at the side and not up top in VB3. Maybe Mark just hasn't got round to it yet...

donKey jote
5th December 2006, 20:18
Mark, can I have my EU flag back, or did it never exist? :p :

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Vivianita
5th December 2006, 20:42
hmmm... it feels weird... but I guess someday I'll get used to them :P

Vivianita
5th December 2006, 20:44
NO NO NO!!!! :'( I used to had a picture of three bears in my profile and it's gone :( and I didn't save it in my pc :( Did anyone, maybe, save it? :P

kelloggs5TLfan
5th December 2006, 21:04
Do you like the new forums?

Yes, this is much better. I like this format.

harvick#1
5th December 2006, 21:17
its odd, being blue, but its alot faster, which is alot better :up:

hopefully Mark can get some new Smilies as well

race aficionado
5th December 2006, 21:37
Change is a good thing.
and this one is for the better - for sure.

i'm enjoying all the perks . . . . :)

Sparky1329
5th December 2006, 22:54
I like it.

CABAIO E'LONA
5th December 2006, 23:10
i like it... is stranger but I wait to get used

jens
5th December 2006, 23:23
Well. When I first reached here, then I was pretty ... well, what is the right word now... unaccustomed, but by now I've already got used to it.

What I'm mostly missing, are the national flags before the username. :( Can we have them back somehow? :rolleyes:

Ranger
6th December 2006, 08:27
Can we have them back somehow? :rolleyes:

This is a good idea. It was an idea on the old forum which I very much liked.

The boxes on the left of the discussion which display the profile seem a bit large as well, if I may complain about the smaller things. It makes each individual post bigger and is less convenient than before, as you cannot see as much of the discussion in one screenshot.

Cheers.

wacked
6th December 2006, 08:47
I prefer the old one for some reason.. looks like all the other forums i have been on.. the old one was different to all other forums..

well guess it would take some time to get used too..

Luffield
6th December 2006, 09:25
I agree. After 5 years the old forum felt like 'home'. Still, it's early days yet.

Can't wait for a colour change though.

All I can get at the minute is either multiple pastel blue's or white with garish yellow bars!!!! :eek:

Pedalpusher
6th December 2006, 09:31
I like it. It's all shiny and new! :D

aivan
6th December 2006, 09:51
I like the features and the speed :up:

I just hope we can have the old Rallyforum.com blue look back..

ottostreet
6th December 2006, 10:00
i do...im mostly a user of vbulletin forums so this is no real change for me...miss the flags though.

martinbalmer
6th December 2006, 10:06
I like it. It's much quicker and better developed. We have multiple quotes back now too. Oh, and there is a spell-check option.. ;)

Erki
6th December 2006, 10:08
Can I choose the horizontal layout back somehow? I like that one better.

Mark
6th December 2006, 10:45
i do...im mostly a user of vbulletin forums so this is no real change for me...miss the flags though.

Miss them no longer. They are back! ;)

F150pickup
6th December 2006, 12:31
I like it and much faster

Mark
6th December 2006, 13:46
Don't get too used to things. Site5 are kicking up an almighty fuss about the forums using too many resources. I wouldn't be surprised if tonight they shut us down permanently (thus meaning another server move, but now the upgrade is complete this will be easier)

AndySpeed
6th December 2006, 13:51
Don't get too used to things. Site5 are kicking up an almighty fuss about the forums using too many resources. I wouldn't be surprised if tonight they shut us down permanently (thus meaning another server move, but now the upgrade is complete this will be easier)

If this is likely, would you consider re-enabling your temporary forum again so that we're not completely 'out-of-touch' should things disappear?

Mark
6th December 2006, 13:54
Yes, I'll do that temp forum is at http://www.markhewitt.co.uk/forums/
If it does go down and you can contact a forum admistrator, i.e. pino, MattL, Andrea. (I'll not be online) then they would be able to reactivate the old discussion forum for a while. But as with the temp forum, threads will not be carried across.

expat1
6th December 2006, 15:08
It looks somehow bigger than before :s because of the different colour. I like it :)

FrankenSchwinn
6th December 2006, 15:52
arg, i like the tan/red paterns of the old motorsportforum.com..... it was easier on the eyes....

Donney
6th December 2006, 17:18
I love it and I have just found the old forum blue and yellow layout :D

RaceFanStan
6th December 2006, 17:56
I like the Default skin best, it is more like the one I used at the "old site". :D

I'm really liking the new forum & it is much faster. :D

martinbalmer
6th December 2006, 18:20

The silly thing there is that the forum can be much busier than it has been so far.....

RaikkonenRules
6th December 2006, 19:27
I like the new forums because you can now make polls in your own threads like I just did. :D

Curryhead
6th December 2006, 19:33
I like it so far, seems alot quicker too, I sometimes had to wait ages for the old one to load or make a post, so its a thumbs up from me :)

race aficionado
6th December 2006, 21:19
I love the smell of the new leather seats . . . . :p

also for those that want to check different looks and colors, go to the bottom left and you have various style options to choose from.

:s mokin:

Ian McC
6th December 2006, 22:04
Bloody good work Mark, thanks :up:

Just out of interest how does old Luffield manage to stay a Senior Member?

jso1985
7th December 2006, 00:53
Cuz he's an old git? :p :

Thanks Mark for the superb job :up:

jslone
7th December 2006, 05:55
Have to get used to it,I dont like the fact that when the Privet messag box comes up it goes to the right side of the screen and you cant center it,meaning you cant close it out.I dont know maybe my monitor is small.only 17 inches.

Hoss Ghoul
7th December 2006, 06:00
It's solid, similar to alot of other forums out there.

With the faster speed I don't see any reason not to have avatars and sig pics though...

slorydn1
7th December 2006, 06:25
I like it!...Just like a new car...Only questions I have is what happend to the little gold page thingy's under our names, they seem to have dis-appeared. Some worked long and hard to get them, so a few maybe miffed that they are gone. Personally I like the fact that the Join date and post count are right there under our names. Cuts down on having to look at profiles to get a count. Also, I had the North Carolina state flag on my profile page to supplement the USA flag by my name. Did the profile pictures just not survive the move, or is it that we cant have them on the profile page anymore?

slorydn1
7th December 2006, 08:19
I like it!...Just like a new car...Only questions I have is what happend to the little gold page thingy's under our names, they seem to have dis-appeared. Some worked long and hard to get them, so a few maybe miffed that they are gone. Personally I like the fact that the Join date and post count are right there under our names. Cuts down on having to look at profiles to get a count. Also, I had the North Carolina state flag on my profile page to supplement the USA flag by my name. Did the profile pictures just not survive the move, or is it that we cant have them on the profile page anymore?

Now that I was able to locate the archived forums I was able to fix my own problem with adding the state flag to my profile page, so no need to answer THAT question :)

Great job with the changeover, Mark

3 :beer: 's for the boss!

BaldyMan
7th December 2006, 14:38
For someone who is not young it's easy to read!

So I've been told!!

donKey jote
7th December 2006, 22:00
Miss them no longer. They are back! ;)

yeah, all 201 of them :eek:
pity the EU flag never existed ;)
hmm still can't decide between Jersey, Isle of Man, Turks & Caicos or Kiribati :)

Thor
8th December 2006, 02:38
Its alot faster, which is alot better ,same people
Great job Mark,and the colour isn't red

Mihai
8th December 2006, 11:01
Now it looks like a common forum, it doesn't have its individuality. I was afraid it was attacked by hackers, I didn't see any announcement. It's pretty lame that everything we discussed previously was lost. The most popular sports newspaper did the same to its forum in exactly the same time and I said some nasty things to them when I had to sign up again as a new user. Hopefully, we can use our old usernames here. I'm still kinda sad though.

slinkster
8th December 2006, 11:02
Takes a bit of getting used to but I like it... not as colourful sadly, but soo much faster and much like other forums I've been on. :)

Mihai
8th December 2006, 11:03
@ Thor: I hope you don't mind, I tested the 'reputation' button on your post above.

Valve Bounce
8th December 2006, 11:55
Love the new forum. Thanks for all the hard work, Mark. :up:

Hondo
8th December 2006, 12:02
I've gone from really hating it to now, just not liking it. Although the poll shows a positive response, I wonder how many are voting nay by staying away? The individuality of it is gone and it now looks like every other forum out there, kind of an EU in the forum world. There are a great number of regular user names I haven't seen yet. Either way, good luck with it.

kelloggs5TLfan
8th December 2006, 12:40
I've gone from really hating it to now, just not liking it. Although the poll shows a positive response, I wonder how many are voting nay by staying away? The individuality of it is gone and it now looks like every other forum out there, kind of an EU in the forum world. There are a great number of regular user names I haven't seen yet. Either way, good luck with it.

Maybe more people will start posting since the forum is faster, more options, and not timing out. I just about gave up posting at the old one.

MattL
8th December 2006, 13:51
The colours schemes will be back, don't worry!

W8&C
8th December 2006, 16:26
Mark, can I have my EU flag back, or did it never exist? :p :

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Same for me please!

dwf1
8th December 2006, 16:42
WOW! whats happened? :O sorry been away for a while doing uni work........so has every topic got to start again? WOW not bad....take some getting used to!

RaikkonenRules
8th December 2006, 19:38
The new forum even got through my school's filter which it never used too. :D

Brown, Jon Brow
8th December 2006, 22:55
The new forum even got through my school's filter which it never used too. :D

I bet your school filters are the kind that block google. :laugh:

I had some initial doubts about this new forum, but it's gud

Hondo
9th December 2006, 04:19
Maybe more people will start posting since the forum is faster, more options, and not timing out. I just about gave up posting at the old one.

How much of this new speed is a result of very little member use and, compared to the old forum, very little data to deal with? You know, like a new computer system before you start loading it up with all your programs, games, mp3s, etc.

Rando
9th December 2006, 13:39
I love that default skin... Is there a chance to get rid of that odd vBulletin logo?

Thor
9th December 2006, 15:50
@ Thor: I hope you don't mind, I tested the 'reputation' button on your post above.

I'm flattered

Bezza
9th December 2006, 17:21
It certainly is running faster now, but the style is nowhere near as good in my opinion and looks rather cheap in comparison.

Also I don't like the fact everything has to start over again and all the old threads have gone, never to be seen again!

Brown, Jon Brow
9th December 2006, 17:28
Old threads are in the archive section

Ian McC
9th December 2006, 19:13
Looking at the poll 85% in favour is pretty good

Hondo
10th December 2006, 02:41
Don't know about the rest of you, but choosing the old red format has slowed it down considerably for me.

Hondo
10th December 2006, 02:45
85% reflects the members that took the time to log on, try it out and vote. I wonder how many came, saw, and left, without logging on?

Anybody seen fousto, Bagwan, or Gannex?

AndySpeed
10th December 2006, 02:47
Don't know about the rest of you, but choosing the old red format has slowed it down considerably for me.

Are you referring to the Motorsport.com theme? I'm using this all the time and it seems fine, still significantly faster than the old forums.

Dazz9908
10th December 2006, 03:08
undecided at this point some good features and some not so good,

Some hard work gone into this Mark
well done and good work,

I try to be constructive with any/ if at all on criticism
So far not bad,
But how can i tell tell who's viewing the forum?? I liked this feature of the old one.

btracer
10th December 2006, 12:03
Is this the finished thing? Or is it like a transition forum?

SuperAguri
10th December 2006, 13:58
This is the new permanent forum as far as I'm aware.

Speedworx
10th December 2006, 14:05
I love the new forums. Very fast and easy to use.

martinbalmer
12th December 2006, 12:59
85% reflects the members that took the time to log on, try it out and vote. I wonder how many came, saw, and left, without logging on?

Anybody seen fousto, Bagwan, or Gannex?

fousto
Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago 02:00 AM

Bagwan
Last Activity: 5 Minutes Ago 12:52 PM

Gannex
Last Activity: 6 Days Ago 01:32 PM

Now tell me. How an Earth can someone not like these forums? It's the same members, the same subjects, it's much faster...

Daniel
12th December 2006, 13:04
I agree. Faster, more posts, same forum and you can post and reply faster. What's not to like. Methinks people just do'n't like change?

janneppi
12th December 2006, 13:09
I had some difficulties getting used to the new colours, is it me or is the rallyforum layout now different than i was before? I ca't stand it anymore.
Also were the flag avatars bigger earlier?

It reminds me of a old "Oh my god Google has changed ever so slightly!" joke
I felt ill for days then, but now i don't mind that either. :D

martinbalmer
12th December 2006, 13:20
Also were the flag avatars bigger earlier?

Yes... but now they are back to the size they were on the old forum :)

555-04Q2
12th December 2006, 13:29
fousto
Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago 02:00 AM

Bagwan
Last Activity: 5 Minutes Ago 12:52 PM

Gannex
Last Activity: 6 Days Ago 01:32 PM

Now tell me. How an Earth can someone not like these forums? It's the same members, the same subjects, it's much faster...

Very easy. People, especially older people hate change of any kind. ANY KIND.

Schultz
12th December 2006, 13:31
Loved the old blue format, but these are better. More easy to use and certainly faster. Good stuff Marky Mark.

Daniel
12th December 2006, 13:32
Very easy. People, especially older people hate change of any kind. ANY KIND.
You should also remember that it's off season for motorsport as well.

martinbalmer
12th December 2006, 13:42
And it's Christmas apparently.

Cole_Trickle
12th December 2006, 14:24
I like the new forums..

but when you set the style for it, if you choose motorsport.com (which is what I was using) it makes the forum 'thinner' which happened with the old one too, and was the main thing I didn't like about it :p so I'm going back to the default blue style..

other than that, I like it :)

555-04Q2
12th December 2006, 15:04
You should also remember that it's off season for motorsport as well.

True :up:

dave knowlesy
12th December 2006, 20:58
Personally, I think the logo is the best feature. It is a great and original design.

Dazz9908
12th December 2006, 23:18
undecided at this point some good features and some not so good,

Some hard work gone into this Mark
well done and good work,

I try to be constructive with any/ if at all on criticism
So far not bad,
But how can i tell tell who's viewing the forum?? I liked this feature of the old one.Thanks Mark I had noticed you have placed Viewing members at the bottom Now. It good to see who's read them.

Cole_Trickle
13th December 2006, 13:55
Did anyone else just get the users names etc above the posts now?

I was on here earlier today and it just had the user's name next to the user's post, I changed styles to no avail..

RaceFanStan
13th December 2006, 14:01
Did anyone else just get the users names etc above the posts now?

I was on here earlier today and it just had the user's name next to the user's post, I changed styles to no avail..
Yes, the names have moved back to the top.
Mark stated in a previous thread that the forum is "a work in progress".
I prefer the names on the left side but I can accept whatever is best for the forum. :D

Mark
13th December 2006, 14:05
I'm either way really. But I'm tending towards the names at the top as it allows the text to spread out on restricted width styles plus the additional information looks neater.

It's a pity it isn't a user selectable option really.

RaceFanStan
13th December 2006, 14:07
Now if we had those honking good green & yellow pages beside our names that would look grand. ;) :laugh:

Cole_Trickle
13th December 2006, 14:38
ah fair enough then :)

Daniel
13th December 2006, 14:41
I'm either way really. But I'm tending towards the names at the top as it allows the text to spread out on restricted width styles plus the additional information looks neater.

It's a pity it isn't a user selectable option really.
I prefer it this way anyway.

donKey jote
13th December 2006, 21:38
Now if we had those honking good green & yellow pages beside our names that would look grand. ;) :laugh:

I bet Mark put the names on top so there would be enough room for the bogeys :p : :laugh:

Barry_
14th December 2006, 03:10
i think it has 2 much white kinda like the blue..it was different from most forums that i know of

FrankenSchwinn
14th December 2006, 03:33
so, no more of these feeback things with the scale saying how many points you've got? just asking cause i get a lot of hatemail everyday and i dont want to loose a drop of the precious liquid!

Speedworx
14th December 2006, 19:06
Names at the side looks better.

speedy king
15th December 2006, 00:48
I'm sorry but i don't like it. Call me a traditionalist....well i am.... :p :

Just all seems a bit higgledy piggledy, much prefered the older style :(

GigiGalliNo1
15th December 2006, 02:20
wen will we have the old threads and PM's?

RaceFanStan
15th December 2006, 04:26
GigiGalliNo1, check this out :
http://archive.motorsportforums.com/vb2/

W8&C
15th December 2006, 04:54
Sadly there´s still no EU Flag... may a have a Bavarian Flag at least? Please! :)

GigiGalliNo1
15th December 2006, 06:34
thanks RaceRanStan :D

RaceFanStan
15th December 2006, 13:52
YW :D :up:

secondplace
16th December 2006, 04:15
Naw, I don't like it.

That doesn't stop me posting here on my own free will, just less frequent. There is no incentives (like the yellow squares/senior members tags) to continue posting or starting new threads, and now it doesn't make visit this forum nearly quite so often.

Speedworx
16th December 2006, 10:07
Naw, I don't like it.

That doesn't stop me posting here on my own free will, just less frequent. There is no incentives (like the yellow squares/senior members tags) to continue posting or starting new threads, and now it doesn't make visit this forum nearly quite so often.

Your not the only one :)

RaikkonenRules
16th December 2006, 18:41
What happened to the reputation squares?

AAReagles
16th December 2006, 20:00
I prefer the old one for some reason.. looks like all the other forums i have been on.. the old one was different to all other forums...

I don't like this new one either. It may be faster but it still lags imho. I could care less about flags, colors etc. However I'm dissappointed that the older threads (particularly on Nostalgia branch) couldn't have been saved.

Also too, I can't seem to locate the date and time on the posts, which was a nice feature, as opposed to the stop-watch feature indicating the posts were done 3 years 78 days 8 hrs. 23 minutes ago.

But I suppose it's a change for the better to improve the forum or perhaps it was a financial necessity that I have little knowledge about at the moment since I just got on here and have yet to read other threads/posts on this forum segment.

'Any-who', I imagine that eventually the bugs will be worked out... I hope.

Ian McC
16th December 2006, 21:38
higgledy piggledy(

:eek:

Is that how you spell it?

Speedworx
17th December 2006, 00:03
I don't like this new one either. It may be faster but it still lags imho. I could care less about flags, colors etc. However I'm dissappointed that the older threads (particularly on Nostalgia branch) couldn't have been saved.

Also too, I can't seem to locate the date and time on the posts, which was a nice feature, as opposed to the stop-watch feature indicating the posts were done 3 years 78 days 8 hrs. 23 minutes ago.

But I suppose it's a change for the better to improve the forum or perhaps it was a financial necessity that I have little knowledge about at the moment since I just got on here and have yet to read other threads/posts on this forum segment.

'Any-who', I imagine that eventually the bugs will be worked out... I hope.

I also prefer the actual time a post was done. Not "3 hours ago" or something very general like that. When this forum first came online I liked it a lot. Since then I have found things that I don't like. I think we should have kept the old forums, they were SO much better.

jso1985
17th December 2006, 20:56
I also prefered the old "post time", "1 day ago" it's kinda confussing

TravelGal
18th December 2006, 06:49
It just seems like so much wasted space to me. Maybe I need to play with formats? An entire line for the message icon? The text spread across the entire page? Makes it more difficult to speed read. Same thing with having the flags and the reply options hanging out in right field. Definitely prefer the time of the posts rather than "two hours ago" or the like.

I rarely post but I came over to see what the new forum looked like. I'll continue lurking until I get used to it.

janneppi
18th December 2006, 08:18
One thing which i think was good was the 'number of new posts in a thread' , i miss that.

Mark
18th December 2006, 08:19
One thing which i think was good was the 'number of new posts in a thread' , i miss that.

That was a non-standard addon for vBulletin 2 which did drain a lot of server resources.

janneppi
18th December 2006, 08:34
Ok, i'll just start writing down the post numbers on paper then. :p :

RaikkonenRules
20th December 2006, 20:37
Ok, i'll just start writing down the post numbers on paper then. :p :

OK you do that if you really are sad enough to have that much time on your hands. :p :

RWD
20th December 2006, 20:48
I like it

bowler
20th December 2006, 20:57
I prefer the actual time of a post.

I don't know if this feature can be retained, as other boards use "x hours ago" definition also.

RaceFanStan
21st December 2006, 15:37
I don't know how this will effect enforcing the deadlines in the (non Pickems) NASCAR games.
Some of the NASCAR games use 1st practice & qualifying for deadlines.
The hour format could create a problem as I'm not in front of the computer all day long.
The time format made it easy to see who was past deadline. :s

Speedworx
21st December 2006, 19:57
I think it will make it much harder to know, as it gives a rough guess of the post.

This will show up instantly as 1 minute ago.

If it can't be changed stan, I'm sure the forum I'm a mod on could help out.

RWD
21st December 2006, 22:35
I am sure it can be changed, I use the same forum software as here and have the time the post was made.

Drew
31st December 2006, 22:10
After getting used to it, I think it's much better.

The whole thing is much quicker, editing is quicker (brilliant!) and yes well, I just like it.

Brilliant move, guys! :up:

Mekola
5th January 2007, 16:01
The forum scheme is so similar to Ten-Tenths, other forum where I've been for so long; at least this forum should change colour to red, as is used to be until last year.

RaceFanStan
5th January 2007, 16:27
If you like red, try the AutoRacing.com style. :s mokin:

The biggest differences from the 10s is this forum has much more people & the 10s allows avatars.

agwiii
12th January 2007, 17:33
The biggest differences from the 10s is this forum has much more people & the 10s allows avatars.

The biggest difference between this forum and 10 is the moderators. Here, we have intelligent, even-handed moderators. There, you have arrogant egomaniacs that should be caned until they repent.

RaceFanStan
12th January 2007, 20:14
I used to be active at the 10s a few years ago.
I constantly bumped heads with a mod there & was threatened with being banned several times.
He even showed-up here in the NASCAR Forum once.
I had a different handle at the 10s & I knew he didn't recognize me.
I had to introduce myself to him. :laugh:

(I was invited to MSF by a couple of members here & I'm glad I moved.)

I heard that he is no longer a mod at the 10s but when he was there, he was a prick.
He had no sense of humor & he hated it when I ragged on his favorite driver (Jeff Gordon). http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif

I rarely go back, the place is just too slow compared to here. :D

Okeefe
12th January 2007, 20:46
I see there's a place for a picture but it doesn't seem to accept mine and I don't see any pictures on anyone's posts either? Am I missing something?

janneppi
12th January 2007, 21:08
I assume you mean avatars or picture signatures, they are not allowed in these forums, hope that won't turn you away, since they aren't happening. :)

You can however upload a picture to your profile.

janneppi
12th January 2007, 21:11
Do you mean putting pictures in posts, or avatars/picture signatures? latters are a no-no in these forums.
If you mean pics in posts, do you have enhanced interface option selected from User CP --> Edit Options --> miscallaneous options?

Okeefe
12th January 2007, 21:25
well, I'm having trouble doing what it says to do on the UserCP with a picture of me or my car; not too sure where they are supposed to show up if I could get it to work. It's a no-no? oh oh, whoopsie.

janneppi
12th January 2007, 21:37
Do you mean the profile picture?
If you have uploaded the pic(remeber it's a only a 100*100 pixels max) it shows in your public profile. Have you checked the view images box on options --> Visible Post Elements?

For example, if you click my name in this post, a box appears, then click on the View public profile link on the box and you should see the most beutiful thing on earth( ;) ) on the top right side of the page.

Okeefe
12th January 2007, 21:43
Thanks guys....oh my, I'm a clutz at this I'm afraid. Maybe my pics are the wrong size (I don't know that even - my daughter scanned them for me! I think last time I posted a pic I sent it to the site people and they did whatever they had to do to post it. Thanks for walking me through this though!

schmenke
12th January 2007, 22:00
Relax, have a beer ;) :D

Okeefe
12th January 2007, 22:07
At your service on that one......Cheers!