PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in UK going to any races?

colinspooky
7th March 2007, 22:15
As above.

:)

ghostdancing
8th March 2007, 21:43
I would like to go to a NASCAR race, but have so many concerns

1. The cost, few grand I'd say (family of five to take)
2. What tickets would I end up (bad view on turn 3 probs)
3. How welcome are us Brits people in the American Stands, do we stick out like a sore thumb (please note, I luv America)
4. If I was going, I would like to see two races, including a plate race, where in the schedule would allow two races close together so I'm not driving miles and miles between weekends.
5. Otherwise, do people, companies organise visits.

Doh. :dozey:

71minus2
8th March 2007, 22:07

3. How welcome are us Brits people in the American Stands, do we stick out like a sore thumb (please note, I luv America)
4. If I was going, I would like to see two races, including a plate race, where in the schedule would allow two races close together so I'm not driving miles and miles between weekends.

1. It has cost me £1200 for me and the mrs for 5 days in Knoxville, 2 days at Bristol with transfers. Take a look at http://www.sportstravel.com - the flights cost me quite a bit though as there is an internal transfer.
2. I am in pretty decent seats (but you need to book early to get these). Generally by the looks of it the company i use have fairly good seats.
3. I'll tell you when i get home

Regards
Richard

blakebeatty
8th March 2007, 22:29

i am a canadian who love's going to charlotte, NC. granted my accent is not the same as yours but it is decidedly not from the south. i have never hesitated to tell someone where i am from if asked, and have never been recieved in any way but warmly. anything you have heard of southern hospitality is true. If you have never been to a race, you have to go to Lowe's. Great racing, and to tour the race shops is like nothing you will ever experience.

DannyBoysUK
8th March 2007, 22:32
I've been to some races and us Brits are as welcome as anyone else. No concerns at all there! If anything, they'll want to hear you talk just to listen to the accent.

gary_580
8th March 2007, 23:16
1. It has cost me £1200 for me and the mrs for 5 days in Knoxville, 2 days at Bristol with transfers. Take a look at http://www.sportstravel.com - the flights cost me quite a bit though as there is an internal transfer.
2. I am in pretty decent seats (but you need to book early to get these). Generally by the looks of it the company i use have fairly good seats.
3. I'll tell you when i get home

Regards
Richard

All seats at Bristol are decent. I went to the night race last summer, it was fantastic. (before anyone asks, ive sold my renewal tickets for this year already ;)

Speedworx
8th March 2007, 23:28
I wish, but I can't afford. I'll make do with SCSA for another year.

Really wanted to see the current spec cars before the COT comes in full time, but I don't think it will happen.

djparky
9th March 2007, 08:05
I'm English and I went to Daytona 500 last year and this year and it was great, NASCAR fans are don't care where you're from- everyone is at the track to watch the racing and support their favourite drivers

Some of the lower seats at Daytona have a limited view but you can always check how good or bad the seat is by booking through racetickets.com- they have a 3D map of the tracks so you can see where the seat is

I'd love to go again this year but I'm not sure the finances will allow me to do so- unless the COT is a disaster on the plate tracks I'll be out there again for the 2008 Daytona 500

raybak
9th March 2007, 08:36
I'm hoping to go to an event later in the year, hope they don't mind an Aussie accent :)

Ray

Daytona Demon
9th March 2007, 10:33
We are going to Speed Week in May at Lowes
Truck Race on the Friday The Open The All Star Challenge Busch Race then The Coca Cola 600,CANNOT WAIT,counting the days...........

colinspooky
9th March 2007, 11:39
I've been to some races and us Brits are as welcome as anyone else. No concerns at all there! If anything, they'll want to hear you talk just to listen to the accent.

Lordy tell me about it. We did a drive from New York to Florida. Stopped at Concord to take a drive around Charlotte. They LOVED us. Kids were swamped by locals asking if we also have bears in our woods. Waitress took extra shine to me, and was very 'comforting' showing me how a waffle maker works. So, chances are, no worries about being a Brit.

Truck Race on the Friday The Open The All Star Challenge Busch Race then The Coca Cola 600,CANNOT WAIT,counting the days...........

Just the trip I almost made last year - and am looking at this year.

Rusty Spanner
9th March 2007, 11:47

Done 4 races in the last 3 years but sadly nothing this year.
Daytona July 2004
California September 2005
Daytona July 2006
Indy August 2006

2. The track can usually tell you pretty almost exactly what seat you'll have when you book. ISC tracks have a 3D thing on their websites that allows you to see a virtual view from any seat.

3. Always been very welcome.

4. Plate race and something else is tricky. I think Indys pretty good myself. Trucks and Busch at the short track just done the road and Cup at Brickyard.

5. Page & Moye have done in the past, but I've always found it better and cheaper to DIY it.

DannyBoysUK
9th March 2007, 12:08
Guys, don't forget that there are hundreds of short track speedways around the country that run Cup-lookylikey cars (late models). I've found that these tracks can be just as entertaining as the big speedways and normally only around $10 or $12 to get in. Most run on fridays or saturdays but quite a few run wednesday night events too, which are handy if you have a weekday evening free on your holidays!

The other plus side is you can normally get up and close to these cars in the pit area too.

svtbhoy
9th March 2007, 15:57
Went to Homestead last year.....................words cant desribe how good it was, I am a big football (soccer) fan and Celtic/Rangers, Scotland/England etc pales into insignificance when the pace car drops to pit road or the 4 fighter planes zip over.
Can you imagine football (soccer) fans here in the UK sitting next to each other the way fans of all drivers etc do at a cup race..
What a day, so good we have build our main holiday round attending the same race this year, 4 in a row for the Biff?
Never had a bad experiance with ANY American in any State I have visited.
I also got a shot in a stock car at USA International Speedway in Lakeland, FL. All the other drivers that day where American along with instructors and they couldnt have been any nicer....another great day.
If there is one thing you have to do before you "pass on" its go to a cup race.
By the way GF and 10yo son go too....great day get there early, sit outside for a while and soak it in!
Have a good weekend, enjoy the Vegas race and Go Greg Biffle!

ghostdancing
9th March 2007, 22:48

You lucky devil 'Demon', but well we all deserve some fun in life.

If I am not being too nosey, could you chuck back at me a ball park figure of how much it's costs to go to Charlotte for the Lowes races. Apart from say Bristol or Tally, it's the place I would love to go to.

Hope it's a great week for you. Ghosty.

indy13
10th March 2007, 08:48
I had many of the same concerns ghostdancing when I went to my first race at Lowe's charlotte in may 2005 but I can only recommend it on every level.

We combined it with a holiday to disneyworld and drove up to charlotte
(via the smoky mountains for couple of days which was also amazing) for 5 days - spent 2-3 days touring the race shops, the museums, mooresville race city usa and then the nextel cup race.

I actually rang the track direct from the uk about 5 months before and this lovely women was so impressed I wanted to come all the way out there - she seemed to go that extra length to get us good seats and they were brilliant! near start finish line row 40 or so - these were much better than what seemed available via nascar.com - clicking on the tickets link next to 'lowe's'.
I think the cost was $120 dollars each which for what you were getting seemed perfectly ok.
You will spend a lot at the track as you are there for sometime foodwise and you have to buy some merchandise to remember the occasion!
Everyone was very helpful apart from some snooty jeff gordon fan who didn't like the fact my girlfriend supported jamie mcmurray and I supported dale jr - ;) as if I needed an excuse to not like jeff gordon she gave me it

I think the most important thing is planning - I scoped out the track the day before I went so I knew I couldnt get too confused with all the traffic and diversions etc on the day - I knew my route back to the hotel, I listened on the local radio for traffic advisories etc and I got there early which gave us more time to look round the stands!
Talladega from footage I have seen is pretty straightforward although
but doing 2 races with a plate race will involve some driving - why not just do the truck and/or busch race or as someone else has advises seek out some local racing.
Go for it you won't regret it - I'm now stuck between whether to do Bristol in August or 50th Daytona speedweeks next year - can't do both and bristol is a lot of money! any advice anyone - where's the best place to get tickets for bristol august - I know how rare they are and that I will pay a premium but any recommended sites would be greatly appreciated
thanks

djparky
10th March 2007, 09:08
definitely agree about taking alot of money, there are usually loads of retail opportunities and ISC tracks are very restrictive about what you can take into the grandstands- no cool boxes or large bags, and you'll be there for several hours so will need food and drink- at Daytona it's easy enough because there is a 7-11 and other places nearby that you can go to- but don't know about the other tracks.

I found getting to Daytona very easy by car from Orlando- but I do the know the area fairly well, if you've never been before I'd definitely do some research about the traffic directions- there were no Silverstone style queues getting in to the car park- but you must be prepared for a long wait to get out again- but it's no worse than trying to get out of any UK track after TOCA or A1 GP etc- I was prepared for it this year which made it alot easier to deal with

lord all this talk of going to NASCAR races makes me want to book another holiday...

XM369
10th March 2007, 14:30
Were going to lowes in may will be there for the saturday and sunday races

Paul & Lisa

Cole_Trickle
10th March 2007, 16:00
I'm from Australia, not the UK, but I'll talk in here, we're all foreigners ;) I'm going next year, can't wait!

I'll be going to the US fron around a month, will go on a couple of Contiki tours, one that goes to LA, SF and LV, and another that goes all around the South East/East, after that (and hopefully going to a local short track meet), will be going to the Cup and Busch races at Bristol, should be an awesome trip!

Abo
13th March 2007, 20:50

Very. We got in the stands at Daytona very early along with a few 'locals' (well, local compared with me, one guy and his son were from New York...) and everyone was really cool. They were really suprised that we were 'proper' fans and not casual viewers, and that we'd built the holiday around the race, and not just come along because it was on at the same time we were there, if you see what I mean.

I think it helped that we weren't claiming to be Jr. or a Gordon fans, even though a couple of people we were talking to were. I guess it's a bit like someone coming to the UK and saying they're Man Utd fans, or being a UK Bulls fan or something.

Hmm, I've gone on a bit... But yeah, everyone was cool. They were intrigued by our accents not sounding like Brits on the TV (we're from the North East, so we're not Hugh Grant or cockney sound-a-likes cor blimey guvnor).

Abo
13th March 2007, 20:56

In 2003 we got a fly/drive/hotel to Kissimmee deal for £465 each, one month before the Pepsi 400. Phoned Daytona and booked tickets at something like $50 each. Arrived in Sanford airport and upgraded the compact to a Mustang for $120 IIRC - well, I didn't come to America to drive round in a compact lol. So all in all it cost about £1200 when the exchange rate was $1.65 to the pound or something. Now you're getting about $2 to the pound you'll do even better!

colinspooky
14th March 2007, 17:04
Were going to lowes in may will be there for the saturday and sunday races

Paul & Lisa

Now got plans in motion to go for this week too - want to meet up in Hooters just up the road from the track?

:D

Lee Roy
14th March 2007, 18:30
Hmm, I've gone on a bit... But yeah, everyone was cool. They were intrigued by our accents not sounding like Brits on the TV (we're from the North East, so we're not Hugh Grant or cockney sound-a-likes cor blimey guvnor).

I've got a lot of friends in the north, (Tyne river valley) and there certainly is a difference in accents.

I'm very glad to hear that everyone in this thread had positive experiences in attending NASCAR races.

mbynwa
15th March 2007, 11:53
I have just returned from Las Vegas, where i attended my first Nascar race. And i must say that it was absolutely amazing to see it live, the noise, the atmosphere all incredible.

Everyone was really friendly, people working there seem to have some trouble understanding my sussex accent, but otherwise everything was fine.

I really can't tell you enough to definitely make your way out to a Nascar race. I did it all diy, bought the tickets on Ticketmaster. One thing i would say for anyone thinking of going to the Vegas race, try and buy a bus Fast Pass, as it guarantees you a seat after the race on the bus. Its a long way back when you are standing all the way. Otherwise superb!! :D

earnhardt8
15th March 2007, 19:28

We have been to Daytona twice & Las Vegas twice and have taken the kids with us each time, its not cheap as kids pay the same for tickets as adults(even as an 18mth old we had to buy our son a ticket.) Have also been to Lowes but that was without the kids.

2) Find a seating plan of the track you want to go to and then ring up the ticket office, generally we sit somewhere on the front stretch no lower than row 20

3) Always been made to feel welcome, though we do get some funny comments with me and Jeff Gordon gear and my better half in Junior gear

4)We are doing Daytona Speedweeks next yr, so will see Truck racing, Busch racing, & Nextel cup. Have already got the condo booked in Daytona Beach.

5) Yes companies do organise trips but they aren't cheap specially if your paying for a family of 5.

XM369
18th March 2007, 00:05
Now got plans in motion to go for this week too - want to meet up in Hooters just up the road from the track?

:D

Not sure how we would get there, were staying in town, i believe there are loads of events on around the main streets in charlotte anyone staying at the embassy suites? or close by????

rainbow warrior
22nd March 2007, 18:05
[2. I am in pretty decent seats (but you need to book early to get these). Generally by the looks of it the company i use have fairly good seats.

Regards
Richard[/QUOTE]

Hey there

It took us 3 years to get our Bristol tickets...!!

We have a friend who has family in Bristol and they managed to buy a row of 8 seats right on the corner of turns 1 & 2 - not too high - not too low - it was FANTASTIC - what an adrenalin rush to be there...BUT when we were all sat down, we started to introduce ourselves to his family only to find out they had all sold their tickets outside the gates and not one of them were at the race.....so you can turn up at Bristol Ticket-less, and still get FANTASTIC seats.

Obviously though when you are coming from the UK it is hell of a gamble to take...!!

RW

rainbow warrior
22nd March 2007, 18:08
Not sure how we would get there, were staying in town, i believe there are loads of events on around the main streets in charlotte anyone staying at the embassy suites? or close by????

Hey XM369

There is PLENTY loads to do, they shut the main street of town for the whole week...!!!

There are merchandise stands, bands, shows, cars, autographs - you name it it is there.....they sure know how to put on a show.

Where are the Embassy suites...???

RW

colinspooky
23rd March 2007, 10:46
Hey XM369

There is PLENTY loads to do, they shut the main street of town for the whole week...!!!

There are merchandise stands, bands, shows, cars, autographs - you name it it is there.....they sure know how to put on a show.

Where are the Embassy suites...???

RW

Hotel is a major stumbling block for us - looking for somewhere quite nice for 10 days, but all the prices seem to have tripled from normal rates - wonder why :rolleyes:

rainbow warrior
23rd March 2007, 11:08
Hotel is a major stumbling block for us - looking for somewhere quite nice for 10 days, but all the prices seem to have tripled from normal rates - wonder why :rolleyes:

Have you tried the Hilton group...???

If you pay in advance, you get quite a substantial discount, and they have a few hotels in the area.

RW

colinspooky
23rd March 2007, 11:25
Funnily enough, spotted the Embassy mentioned above is a Hilton hotel, and have got in touch to see if they can help.
So thanks for the suggestion.
:)