PDA

View Full Version : Design your own grid!

tannat
20th January 2007, 18:07
With interest floundering in ALMS GTS (see separate thread) I thought this might be an interesting mental exercise:

Every car manufacturer in the world has come to you for advice as to in which ACO class (LMP 1 and 2, GTS and GT) they should compete. Design your own grid using the manufacturers of your choice, and supply a decent championship outlook for the coming years.

Oh yes- supply a rationale for your decisions, and keep in mind we want a well balanced grid, not everyone flocking to the GT class :D

Have fun!

Tannat

harvick#1
20th January 2007, 18:45
in 2010 a GTP class is going to possibly form for the enclosed LMP1's, so will this mean open cockpits are still going to be allowed in P1

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2007, 20:47
Ok, to Audi and Peugeot, stay in Prototype 1. To Porsche, stay in p2, To Mercedes, give up that f1 stuff and run a prototype in p1. Jaguar, go to GT2 and beat up the Porsches and the smaller Ferrari's. BMW, you should be running with the big dogs in P1, and put a few m5's in GT2 for fun eh?

To Ferrari, build a prototype for p1 PLEASE!!!! Bring back the red cars of Italy to the Sarthe in a big way.

To Chrysler, would you please put a Viper back in GT1 that can compete? Saleen, ditto. Ford....well you will do what you do....you figure it out.

Mazda, put a car in p2 and bring back a rotary so I my ears can hurt !! Toyota, why are you in f1, bring back a p1 car! Nissan, put a 350z in GT1. Subaru........GT2 for you.

Would also love to see a GT2 class car from Pontiac in the form of a GTO ( that would be a Monaro down under).

Seeing a Bugatti run in P1 would be something too.

There...I think I have everyone settled...now go race or something....

Scuderia ferrari
20th January 2007, 21:05
Now, i know, i might be a bit of a newb in these forums, but i do really like Le mans and other GT series, but anyway, moving on.

P1- Ferrari should really come out all guns firing in this, with porcher again, with Pug and audi, Jag should come as well, and i'd love MG to come out with a new car, and radical should really go in it, and not forgeting aston, and BMW

P2-Ferrari F430, 595s, porchers, Nissan, a 350Z would be cool, also something like a ford falcon or holden as well and i'd like suburu in it as well.

GT- Vauxhall manaro, Honda, something like a intergra, and that pontiac thats supposed to come in 08.

GT2- if nissan can't cut it in P2, i think nissan should be in here, ford and chrysler you should be here as well, and it would be cool to have some sort of Ford in here

grassrootsracer
21st January 2007, 16:43
Scuderia, you might want to check on which types of cars go in which classes. P stands for prototypes. You're entire P2 class is composed of GT cars.

P1
Audi
Chapparal
Ferrari (Enzo-based?)
Mazda (rotary with four or five rotors)
McLaren
Nissan
Porsche
Toyota

P2
Creation Autosportif
Courage
Elan/Panoz/Van Dieman
Lola
Lotus
Pescarolo
Radical
West (currently in SCCA CSR/DSR and IMSA Lites)
Zytek

GT1
Aston Martin
Audi RS6
BMW M5
Chevrolet Corvette
Dodge Viper
Ferrari 599
Ford GT

GT2
Audi A4
BMW M3
Ferrari F430
Jaguar XKR
Lotus Exige
Mercedes C-class AMG
Panoz GTLM Esperante
Porsche 997

viper_man
21st January 2007, 21:04
I like it Grassrootsracer, mine would probably be something pretty similar!

But Id bring back a few old cars, revamped of course. Not all of them below are in the correct class by their designation, but I have put them into the classes with the cars I think they should race against, with the proper modifications so as to fit into said class.

P1
Audi R10
Ferrari, possibly Enzo based again
Mazda 787B
McLaren F1 GTR
Nissan R390
Porsche 991 & Spyder
Toyota TS020
BMW V12 LM
Panoz Esperante GTR1
Bugatti Veyron (with some letters and numbers after it of course)
Mercedes Sauber C9
Bentley EXP Speed 8

P2
Creation Autosportif
Courage
Elan
Lola EX257
Judd
Dome
Pescarolo
Radical
Zytek

GT1
Aston Martin DBR9
Dodge Viper GTSR
Saleen S7R
Chevrolet Corvette C5R
Porsche 911 GT2
Maserati MC12
Ferrari 575 GTC
TVR Cerbera Speed 12
Marcos Mantara LM600
Ford GT

GT2
Spyker C8 Double 12R
TVR Tuscan T400R
Jaguar XKR GT3
Lamborghini Gallardo GT3
Mercedes C-classe AMG
Ferrari F430 GT
Marcos Mantis GT
Nissan Skyline R34 JGTC

harvick#1
21st January 2007, 21:32
very nice list but I see the Enzo Ferrari being a GT1 car.

Ferrari should build up a prototype instead of bringing the Enzo

tannat
22nd January 2007, 05:03
Good answers thus far :up:

LMP1 Okay, Audi can stay (but should go back to rallying), but this is the ground of Porsche, Ferrari, Toyota, Mercedes,

LMP2 Acura, Renault, Peugeot, Mazda, VW, Fiat,

GTS Aston Martin, Covette, BMW M6,

RS Spyder
23rd January 2007, 10:44
I'm in almost total agreement, tannat!

P1 is in fact Porsche terratory, and this is why it is soooo hard for me to see that due to "other" interests (Porsche owning almost 30% of VAG) Porsche will not reclaim its ground from Audi.
It really would be nice to see a battle like the old 917's and the Ferrari 512p's.

I would also add Porsche to the GTS. (It's a long standing tradition!)

1LM1
23rd January 2007, 11:48
P1: ALL manufacturers and big private teams. Not only Ferrari, Porsche or Mercedes. What's that ??

P2: private teams.

Bob Riebe
24th January 2007, 19:00
GT1
Aston Martin DBR9
Dodge Viper GTSR
Saleen S7R
Chevrolet Corvette C5R
Porsche 911 GT2
Maserati MC12
Ferrari 575 GTC
TVR Cerbera Speed 12
Marcos Mantara LM600
Ford GT

looks good, and this would be all that was needed.
Remove the restrictors, wings and diffusers; allow unlimited size tires, and set weight to displacement with no engine size limit.
That would get peoples attention - quickly.

Bob

Mihai
24th January 2007, 20:22
A couple of you have the McLaren F1 GTR in P1. Do you really think a 10-years old GT1 machine could do well among the mighty Audis and Pugs ?

P1
Audi
Peugeot
Pescarolo
Dyson
Courage
Cadillac

P2
Courage
Lola
MG
Radical
Suzuki
Pontiac
Ligier

GT1
Corvette
Aston Martin
Ferrari
Maserati
Saleen
Chrysler

GT2
Lotus
Spyker
Porsche
Caterham
Morgan
Ferrari

Erki
24th January 2007, 20:25
@Mihai: No Panoz or TVR in GT2? ;) TVRs are probably my favourite GT2s, shame they weren't too competitive

Mihai
24th January 2007, 22:22
:up: Good point about the Panoz! Add the Escalante in the GT2 class. But no TVR, they're in financial barmy and they can't build a competitive car. It's on the brink of collapse under the ownership of a teenage (not quite, the guy is in his mid 20s) Russian banker. I don't wanna see any ghosts on my fantasy grid! :laugh:

Subaru WRX
25th January 2007, 05:58
here it is;

P1
Audi R10 TDi
Audi R8 FSi (for privateers)
Peugeot 908 HDi
Bentley EXP Speed 8
Toyota GT-One
BMW V12 LMR
Panoz LMP-1 Roadster S
Cadillac Northstar LMP
Mercedes CLK-LM
Dome
Courage LC70
Porsche RS Spyder (with more weight and power to match the P1 rules !)

P2, no cars at all !

GT1:
Corvette C6-R
Maserati MC12
Chrysler Viper GTS-R (the old one)
Saleen S7-R
Ferrari 550 Maranello
Ferrari 575 GTC
Aston Martin DBR9
Aston Martin Vanquish
Porche 997 Turbo
Jajuar XKR