PDA

View Full Version : Spectating Sweden - Tips needed please.

curry
13th January 2007, 07:39
G’day All,

I am organising a trip to Rally Sweden for 6 of us from Australia.

Previously I have only attended Rally NZ (simply awesome) and Rally Australia. I was wondering if I could get some spectating tips from those that have attended Sweden before. We will be staying in Flipstad and have a rental car which we will be using to get around over the Rally.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Curry

J4MIE
13th January 2007, 16:49
Warm jacket.
Warm hat.
Warm boots.
Warm gloves.
Axe - for keeping warm with.
Matches.

Sorted :)

Viktory
14th January 2007, 11:22
Stages I am seeing:

Thursday:
SS1 Karlstad SSS1

Friday:
SS4 Torntorp 1
SS7 Vargåsen 1

Saturday: A lot of driving for this day...
SS9 Lesjöfors
SS12 Vargåsen 2
SS14 Lejen

Sunday:
SS16 Backa 1
SS18 Backa 2
SS20 Karlstad SSS2

curry
14th January 2007, 22:53
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the tips.

I still haven't worked out which stages to go to yet, mainly because I didn't receive the Official Sweden Rally Magazine in the mail like they promised. When I go to Rally NZ I do a lot of driving and usual get 3 to 4 stages on the Friday with the relative smaller crowds compared to the weekend. Is this possible in Sweden, can you do the car sprint to other stages or is there too many people on the roads and does the snow slow everything down?

If my research is correct then Vargåsen contains Colin's Crest; I have read that people get here 2 hours before the first car - is this true?

Viktory, We definitely be at the Karlstad SS's and also at least one of the Vargåsen stages - from there the rest is up in the air till I get a good look at the stage maps.

J4MIE, Is it true that you buy bags of firewood from the petrol stations?

Thanks again guys.

Cheers

Curry

Viktory
14th January 2007, 23:19
You will not be able to get 4 stages in on any of the days sadly. If you want three stages on Friday your only option is Hara 1/2 + Hagfors Sprint (alt. Likenäs 1/2 + Hagfors Sprint, but Likenäs is very far to drive!)
Check this link: http://www.swedishrally.com/resources/documents/uddeholm_swedish_rally___rally_guide_1_2007.pdf
Scroll down to page 18 or so and you have the itinerary with times etc. and a few pages down you have the maps for each day.
http://www.swedishrally.com/en,theroute.html
There is an overview of the route. A good benchmark for length is that from Service Park to Likenäs it is 80 km

Firewood can be bought in petrol stations, but we always take an axe and cut down smaller trees and burn that, work well, keeps you active and warm too (as J4MIE said)

Vargåsen has Colin's Crest, and people are there probably there much more than 2 hours ahead. I have actually never been there, but there are thousands of people there, it's not really a place that attracts me since I like to find more secluded spots. There are some nice jumps in the middle of Fredriksberg though.

A spot I recommend, if you don't mind walking a bit, is on Hara. I was there last year, you walk in from the start (you can park the car on a smaller road adjacent to the big road) and eventually you get to a quite steep upward slope and a nice long u-turn. It was one of the better spots I was at last year.

J4MIE
15th January 2007, 10:36
Firewood can be bought in petrol stations, but we always take an axe and cut down smaller trees and burn that, work well, keeps you active and warm too (as J4MIE said)

And it smells nice too :)

hari
15th January 2007, 11:48
A spot I recommend, if you don't mind walking a bit, is on Hara. I was there last year, you walk in from the start (you can park the car on a smaller road adjacent to the big road) and eventually you get to a quite steep upward slope and a nice long u-turn. It was one of the better spots I was at last year.

How far is it approx. from the start?

Viktory
15th January 2007, 18:55
I would say it's about 1.5-2 km, took us maybe half an hour to get there (very rough guess). It's not that bad but it was very cold that morning (-25 degrees I think) and we were carrying a lot of stuff. Worth it though in my opinion.
You can see the place I am talking about in this video I filmed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJq_9iz8X0
It is the long hairpin one at 3:00. If you see any other place that looks interesting in the video I'll be glad to let you know where it is.
and a picture:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/ViktorL/Bild018.jpg

If you continue up the road there is another U-turn, however we didn't go there so I don't know how it looks like.

curry
16th January 2007, 14:31
Thanks Viktory, you have been a great help mate. I am currently in Seoul, Korea on a work trip and I plan to spend the next 2 days formulating a plan of action. I would like to bounce it off you once I figure out what is going on if that’s alright.

In the meantime a few questions if I may.

Where are the places in your video about the 2:15 & 5:30 marks?

Also just so I get an idea of drive times, what would the approximate drive time be from Filipstad to Hagfors on the Rally days?

Is there less crowds on the Friday compared to the weekend?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Curry

P.S. I notice that there is no ceremonial start this year!

hari
16th January 2007, 15:16
I would say it's about 1.5-2 km, took us maybe half an hour to get there (very rough guess).

Thanks for the links, i rembember seeing your video already some time ago.
The spot looks good.

it will be my first time at the rally sweden, so i hope for proper winter conditions. (at least more winter than here in austria).

Do you know any good spots at the Shakedown Stage?

Viktory
16th January 2007, 15:52
@curry: I'm glad to help, I'll check your plan later if you want to.
The drive time from Filipstad to Hagfors depends much on the weather, if it snows a lot during the night it can dramatically lengthen the drive time. I would say almost 1½ hour if you take it a bit easy.
At 2:15 in the video I was at Vargåsen. It was also a very good spot. When you get your rally magazine it will be spectator spot 1 (most probably) You drive all the way up the access route, turn left when you get to the stage and it's just up the small crest. I am planning on going there for the second Vargåsen run this year, but turn right when I get to the stage, seemed to be a very nice open spot there too.
At 5:30 it's the Rämmen stage. That spot is unfortunately different this year. They've changed the satge a bit so now that part will be run in the opposite direction. It is by a village called Lijendal (check map when you get it) and you turn right by the stage and walk for 10-15 minutes I think.
There is less crowd on Friday in my opinion, but still quite many, especially on the famous places (Colin's Crest and Likenäs Arena)
No cerimonial start unfortunately.

@hari: I have actually never been to the shakedown stage, I am only allowed to take one day off school.... But I guess you'll find a nice spot wherever you go, it's not that long a stage. Winter will come later this week, I hope it stays :)

Jonte
17th January 2007, 16:00
The shakedown has a good jump close to the finnish (03.02 in my video).

Ive been there for two years now, so this year Im going to the start.

The jumps on Frediksberg is removed this year (change of route).

my video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9425tNQ4QI

curry
18th January 2007, 10:24
Heya,

Do we know if they are going to publish a Rally Guide II on the Swedish Rally website? I was hoping they would put up a document with a detailed map of each stage; possibly this is in the protected zone for competitors?

I'm currently working on last years maps, but would love this years ones.

Cheers

Curry

hari
18th January 2007, 12:00
The shakedown has a good jump close to the finnish (03.02 in my video). Ive been there for two years now, so this year Im going to the start. The jumps on Frediksberg is removed this year (change of route). my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9425tNQ4QI

Thanks for the links.
At which stage are the corners at 2:06 in your video?

Jonte
18th January 2007, 12:33
Thanks for the links.
At which stage are the corners at 2:06 in your video?

Its on Likenäs, in the middle of the stage. You reach it from an access road between the start and the finnish. From that point you walk about 1 km towards the end.

hari
18th January 2007, 14:18
Its on Likenäs, in the middle of the stage. You reach it from an access road between the start and the finnish. From that point you walk about 1 km towards the end.

Thanks!

Viktory
18th January 2007, 15:04
Heya,

Do we know if they are going to publish a Rally Guide II on the Swedish Rally website? I was hoping they would put up a document with a detailed map of each stage; possibly this is in the protected zone for competitors?

I'm currently working on last years maps, but would love this years ones.

Cheers

Curry

I think they will publish a second version, they usually do. It said on the site that the Rally Magazines would be sent out sometime this week so maybe you will get the magazine soon anyway. Many of the stages are different from last years.

Jonte
22nd January 2007, 13:26
I have inspected some of the SS this weekend (Fredriksberg, Lejen and Liljendal) and it looks great! And it was before sthe snowblizzard yesterday.

Slipzen
22nd January 2007, 16:20
I have inspected some of the SS this weekend (Fredriksberg, Lejen and Liljendal) and it looks great! And it was before sthe snowblizzard yesterday.

Hello Jonte.
Did you bring your camera out in the forest? Any pics of the SS?.
I just spoke with a person who lives just north of Filipstad and he was out snowploughing. I was about 40cm snow and freezing cold :)

hari
22nd January 2007, 19:43
Is there any swedish website where I can found aerial / satelite orthophotos from the rally region and the stages?

google earth has too low resolution pictures of this part of Sweden.

I remember seeing some aerial photo from Sweden rally stages some year(s) ago here on the forum?

Thanks in advance.

Jonte
22nd January 2007, 21:19
Is there any swedish website where I can found aerial / satelite orthophotos from the rally region and the stages?

google earth has too low resolution pictures of this part of Sweden.

I remember seeing some aerial photo from Sweden rally stages some year(s) ago here on the forum?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, no pics from the stage.
Ortophoto you find here, It is not the fastest, but the photos are better than Google:

http://kartor.eniro.se/query?what=map

Klick on "Flygfoto" that is airphoto. A good first search is "Hagfors", you write it in the dialogue box after the word "Var".

Jonte
22nd January 2007, 21:21
If you have any more questions, please ask. Ive been to almost 100 SS of swedish rally so far.

hari
22nd January 2007, 22:08
Sorry, no pics from the stage.
Ortophoto you find here, It is not the fastest, but the photos are better than Google

Thanks, perfect!

WRXedUSA
22nd January 2007, 22:21
Congrats on choosing Sweden for your rally!

Here is a list of stages I would go to in another thread.
Day1:
Torntorp 1
Vargasen 1 (avoid Colin's Crest, and try to back your way into the start of the SS)

Day 2:
Lesjofors
Fredricksburg ( There is a viewing spot only a few KM's into the stage that is nice around a sharp 90* left hander)

Day 3:
Malta 1 (Great spots, yet close to Hagfors-Uddeholm)
Malta 2
Uddeholm Service Park (10am Service)

Filipistad is closer to the Lejen and Fredriksburg stages, but a long drive to Vargasen & Torntorp.

Navigating the swedish rally is not bad. Most everyone speaks good enough english to get by.

Enjoy the snow, I wish I could be there this year!

Viktory
23rd January 2007, 16:28
http://geoimager.lantmateriet.se/dkny/product_info.php?cPath=1_4738&products_id=4

That site is very good in my opinion. Use the slider to your right to zoom in/out and move it to the right to get aerial photo or left to get map aid. It's pretty fast too.

deano42
23rd January 2007, 17:23
Hi Guys, last minute work alterations means me and a couple of friends can now go...

Although i know its a bit last minute!

Went about 5 years ago and had a awesome time, flights and car hire have been arranged. Nothing really arranged for accomodation yet and the thought of sleeping in the car isnt great...

Were only there from Friday night and fly back Sunday night, can anyone help with some accomodation close to the action? Were happy to rough it wherever to be honest, last time i was there i saw some guys camping!!! Thats a bit hardcore for my liking, at least in the car you have a heater!

WRXedUSA
24th January 2007, 03:30
If you try to sleep in your car, you will die. No doubt about it.

Call the Hagfors tourist bureau ASAP.

curry
24th January 2007, 07:52
Hey Guys,

I notice a few of you are recommending Torntorp on Day 1, i'm currently tossing up between Hara and Torntorp for morning watching. Viktory, where exactly are planning on going in Torntorp and do you think it will be better than your recommendation for Hara?

Probably do Vargasen in the afternoon, before heading back through the service park on way back to the hotel at Filipstad.

As an aside I notice that last years rally guide saidn that spectators are aloud only in the spectator areas, all other areas are prohibited! Whats the go with this, is it enforced?

Cheers

Curry

curry
24th January 2007, 08:10
Hey Guys,

I notice a few of you are recommending Torntorp on Day 1, i'm currently tossing up between Hara and Torntorp for morning watching. Viktory, where exactly are planning on going in Torntorp and do you think it will be better than your recommendation for Hara?

My tenitave plan at this stage for Leg1 is:-

SS3 (Hara) - Only WRC cars at the point Viktory talks about after stage start (1.5-2km into stage)
Service B
SS7 (Vargasen) - Still toying with Colin's Crest just for the atmoshshere and something totally different for an Aussie
Flexi Service C - Probably too late but see how we go

Viktory, a few question on your position in Hara:-

1. I take if you get there early enough you can just walk up the stage road to the spot?
2. If we only watch the WRC cars is it easy enough to walk back down the side of the road when rally cars are going past?
3. Will they be running 2 minute intervals between P1 & P2 cars?

As an aside I notice that last years rally guide said that spectators are allowed only in the spectator areas, all other areas are prohibited! Whats the go with this, is it enforced? (Re the spot of Hara)

Cheers

Curry

Jonte
24th January 2007, 09:53
Hey Guys,

SS7 (Vargasen) - Still toying with Colin's Crest just for the atmoshshere and something totally different for an Aussie

As an aside I notice that last years rally guide said that spectators are allowed only in the spectator areas, all other areas are prohibited! Whats the go with this, is it enforced? (Re the spot of Hara)

Cheers

Curry

Hi!

Im not Victory, but I'll answer anyway!
Regarding Colins Crest - if you want spectacular jumps - go to Finland! Colins crest is only over crowded and not very spectacular. You dont get the right "Swedish Rally Feeling" there in my opinion. Ive been going back to that crest a few times, and every time svore to never go there again. And now its final. There is too much crowd, and (exept from Hirvonen) not very spectacular. However, the road leading to the crest is very good. Just a few hundred meters before the crest, there is a nice high speed right - left curve. So if you want to go there - and if its not as exiting as you thougt, just walk 5 min towards the start.

The spectator areas is not a problem. Just make sure that you behave when you walk and stand at "your" spot, especially when the saftey helicopter arrives...

Viktory
24th January 2007, 13:58
Hey Guys,

My tenitave plan at this stage for Leg1 is:-

SS3 (Hara) - Only WRC cars at the point Viktory talks about after stage start (1.5-2km into stage)
Service B
Flexi Service C - Probably too late but see how we go

Viktory, a few question on your position in Hara:-

1. I take if you get there early enough you can just walk up the stage road to the spot?
2. If we only watch the WRC cars is it easy enough to walk back down the side of the road when rally cars are going past?
3. Will they be running 2 minute intervals between P1 & P2 cars?

Cheers

Curry

Torntorp has only one spectator spot, which is at the end. I don't really like the place (haven't been there) because you have to take a shuttle buss (tractor with carriage). I am considering going in from the start, but it is very far to walk if you are not allowed to drive in on the access road for the WRC cars. I might give it a go, be there early, and if that doesn't work, I'll just head to the spectator spot at the end of the stage. I didn't choose Hara as I feel I have seen it enough times. I'm pretty unfamiliar with Torntorp but I believe the end can be spectacular, just loads of people. But Hara feels like a better spot (from what I have seen from aerial shots of Torntorp).

If you are there early there will be no problem with walking on the stage, the marshals are usually quite relaxed about that. When I walked back from the second run after only seeing the WRC cars I walked on the road (quickly) then jumped off before any car came, just be careful as the snow banks can be rather large sometimes and the ditches mean you might sink quite a bit :p
They run 2 minutes between WRC cars and 1 minute for PWRC and others.

I've never had any problems with "spectators in spectator places only" I have been to several unmarked spots that had marshals, they didn't say anything, just stand in a sensible place.

Jonte
24th January 2007, 15:05
"Torntorp has only one spectator spot, which is at the end. I don't really like the place (haven't been there) because you have to take a shuttle buss (tractor with carriage)."

No, it is not a tractor, it is a real tourist buss (and it is not too far walk either). The plece is acctually quite good, you get to see the cars for a ling time. The Skoda in the start of my film from 2005 is Torntorp.

Film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U1RpCXAkBs

And if you walk to the right /(towards the start) there is a nice fast downhill, followed by a fast righthand junktion.

So this is not my favourite place, but it is a good one. An easy access.

Viktory
24th January 2007, 15:49
Oh right, sorry for the confusement, I remember seeing a picture somewhere of a tractor, must have been a different stage.

Jonte
24th January 2007, 15:53
Oh right, sorry for the confusement, I remember seeing a picture somewhere of a tractor, must have been a different stage.

Or just a different year. Ive been ther two times, and went by buss bot times.

curry
25th January 2007, 08:22
Howdy All,

My planning is on going, which means so are my questions.

1. Has anyone got any thoughts on the hairpin in Vargasen at the town of Ransbysatter?

2. Do we have an official running order yet? From what I can see there is 21 WRC cars entered. (2 weeks from the rally I am bit disappointed there is not more on the official website).

3. Viktory, you talk about going to Varagsen on Leg 2 and turning right at spot 1. Are you talking about the 90 degree right hander about 600m before the road intersection?

4. Regarding the new part of Backa, I’m curious as to what the viewing would be like at the end of the road from the town of Lidsbron off 240. Looks like it is a sweeping left into a 90 degree right hander (N59 57 19.78 E13 45 21.36). I can’t find any official document that says this road will be available to spectators; does anyone know if we can?
I have a document that quotes from an official: “Area 1, Ulledndammen – Fast serpentine downhill with a narrow bridge at the lake. Spectacular right turn into the forest again”. This I believe is talking about the road out of Bjorkliden off 246 called Sangtorpsvagen (N59 58 46.2 E13 44 29.72).

5. I wonder if there will be fewer crowds this year with Norway taking place the week after, will the Norwegians come in the usual numbers?

That’s all for now.

Still yet to look at Leg 2 ;)

Cheers

Curry

Jonte
25th January 2007, 08:59
1. Ransbysätter

If you like hairpins, why not? But Ive been there, and it wasnt very good. We went up the forrest istead. You dont see very much at the hairpin. If you plan to visit Vargåsen, go to Victorys spots.
If you like hairpins, se my suggestion further down.

2. Startlist

Not more than the first eight (based on monte results). The actual starting order is normally released a couple of days before the rally.

3. New spot

There is a long down hill at Vargasen, its an open area and a 180. You get too see the cars for along time. I think its close to Victorys spot.

5. Norwegians

That has been my thougt too. I hope so!

//Jonte

Jonte
25th January 2007, 09:11
Vargåsen map.

curry
25th January 2007, 09:39
Thanks Jonte,

I agree with your map of Varagsen, I think Viktory is going to the 180 spot you mention - I must admit it has my interest as well from the Sat Pic. If you end up there on day 1, make sure you keep an eye out the Aussies! (we will be the ones who look bloody cold, 41 deg in Sydney last weekend).

Just been trying to work out a Leg 2 plan, not easy, stages are very spread out and I have a Subaru VIP thing to go at the final service.

Any thoughts on those points on Backa?

Cheers

Curry

Perra71
25th January 2007, 12:41
Normally they publish the startingorder on Thursday night after the Shakedown.
Don´t know how it will be this year when there is an SSS on Thursday night.

Jonte
25th January 2007, 12:54
Thanks Jonte,

I agree with your map of Varagsen, I think Viktory is going to the 180 spot you mention - I must admit it has my interest as well from the Sat Pic. If you end up there on day 1, make sure you keep an eye out the Aussies! (we will be the ones who look bloody cold, 41 deg in Sydney last weekend).

Just been trying to work out a Leg 2 plan, not easy, stages are very spread out and I have a Subaru VIP thing to go at the final service.

Any thoughts on those points on Backa?

Cheers

Curry

No, I have limitid experience from that stage. However Im thinking about going to a spot Ive seen on TV that looks interesting.
Othervise I really recommend Malta (SS 17 and 19), one of my absolute favourites. Look at my 2006 video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9425tNQ4QI). At 7.49 there is a Subaru on a ling staight followed by a fastrighthand bend. This i a place where you really can compare the confidence between the different drivers. Two years ago they had a speed trap on eurosport. Grönholms speed was 189 km/h through that bend (its right in front of my cameraposition). The top drivers goes flat out on 6th gear, while the rest breaks just before... really good spot (it all ends with a 90 left stat is also spectacular - see at 00.14 into the movieclip).

hari
25th January 2007, 13:37
Othervise I really recommend Malta (SS 17 and 19), one of my absolute favourites. Look at my 2006 video

Where in Malta stage is this place approx.?

Jonte
25th January 2007, 14:34
Malta map.

Viktory
25th January 2007, 18:54
@ curry

1. I was thinking about that very spot for Friday also, but Jonte's comments on it is making me doubt. His map of Vargåsen shows the correct spot where I was last year and the 180 downhill hairpin is where I am going for Vargåsen 2 on Saturday.

3. Yes, the spot on Jonte's map.

4. I am also not very familiar with Backa, especially not with the completely new (to me) last part. I have filled in a map of the last part with probable access roads (green) and the stage (red). It has some interesting spots, especially around Häcken. Seems to be very steep inclines and declines in some places too.

5. I can guarantee that there will be less Norweigans. Tourist bureau in Hagfors have said that they have received a lot fewer booking from Norway. This is both good and bad in my opinion.

I will buy a rally magazine either tomorrow or in the weekend and will make final adjustments to where I will stand and post them here. If any of you are at those spots keep a look out for a group of 3 guys (around 18) (+1 adult for Sat and Sun) with a 5 m fishing rod with a big Swedish flag and a smaller Finnish flag. I'll be the one wearing an OMV ADAC rallye deutschland hat.

Viktory
25th January 2007, 18:59
@ curry

1. I was thinking about that very spot for Friday also, but Jonte's comments on it is making me doubt. His map of Vargåsen shows the correct spot where I was last year and the 180 downhill hairpin is where I am going for Vargåsen 2 on Saturday.

3. Yes, the spot on Jonte's map.

4. I am also not very familiar with Backa, especially not with the completely new (to me) last part. I have filled in a map of the last part with probable access roads (green) and the stage (red). It has some interesting spots, especially around Häcken. Seems to be very steep inclines and declines in some places too.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/ViktorL/Backa.jpg

On the map they have on the swedish rally website, only the northern access route is shown as a spectator spot so the southern access route from Liljendal might be blocked.

5. I can guarantee that there will be less Norweigans. Tourist bureau in Hagfors have said that they have received a lot fewer booking from Norway. This is both good and bad in my opinion.

I will buy a rally magazine either tomorrow or in the weekend and will make final adjustments to where I will stand and post them here. If any of you are at those spots keep a look out for a group of 3 guys (around 18) (+1 adult for Sat and Sun) with a 5 m fishing rod with a big Swedish flag and a smaller Finnish flag. I'll be the one wearing an OMV ADAC rallye deutschland hat.

WRXedUSA
25th January 2007, 19:25
"Torntorp has only one spectator spot, which is at the end. I don't really like the place (haven't been there) because you have to take a shuttle buss (tractor with carriage)."

No, it is not a tractor, it is a real tourist buss (and it is not too far walk either). The plece is acctually quite good, you get to see the cars for a ling time. The Skoda in the start of my film from 2005 is Torntorp.

Film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U1RpCXAkBs

And if you walk to the right /(towards the start) there is a nice fast downhill, followed by a fast righthand junktion.

So this is not my favourite place, but it is a good one. An easy access.

The end of Hara has the same. Are you sure you are not confusing th e two?

What a disaster that was to get on the tractors. I felt like hog going to the slaugherhouse. People were disrespecting people, children, etc.

Yuck.

Jonte
25th January 2007, 21:12

What a disaster that was to get on the tractors. I felt like hog going to the slaugherhouse. People were disrespecting people, children, etc.

Yuck.

No, Ive never been to Hara so far.

WRXedUSA
25th January 2007, 21:42
No, Ive never been to Hara so far.

If you can get there early, look at the spectator point on the east side of the stage, near Eksharad.

It's a long walk, a lot of people, but a lot of areas to have a look.

The other point at the end of the stage sucks quite frankly.

Slipzen
25th January 2007, 21:42
Howdy All,

4. Regarding the new part of Backa, I’m curious as to what the viewing would be like at the end of the road from the town of Lidsbron off 240. Looks like it is a sweeping left into a 90 degree right hander (N59 57 19.78 E13 45 21.36). I can’t find any official document that says this road will be available to spectators; does anyone know if we can?
I have a document that quotes from an official: “Area 1, Ulledndammen – Fast serpentine downhill with a narrow bridge at the lake. Spectacular right turn into the forest again”. This I believe is talking about the road out of Bjorkliden off 246 called Sangtorpsvagen (N59 58 46.2 E13 44 29.72).

5. I wonder if there will be fewer crowds this year with Norway taking place the week after, will the Norwegians come in the usual numbers?

That’s all for now.

Still yet to look at Leg 2 ;)

Cheers

Curry

4. Have not been there either. I will be close to the end of the stage.

5. It seems to be less norwegians than previous years. It is reported to be easy to find accomodation this years since much fewer norwegians have made reservations. But maybe they are sleeping in tents this year ? ;)

Slipzen
25th January 2007, 21:46

Yuck.

I have been on the downhill spot Jonte describes a few times and I agree with his description. It is a good spot. The only thing is that the forest is quite close to the road so it is difficult/impossible to see the cars for more than 2-3 seconds.....

Slipzen
25th January 2007, 21:53
[quote="Viktory"]@ curry

4. I am also not very familiar with Backa, especially not with the completely new (to me) last part.

QUOTE]

Hello Viktory,
4. It is not the last part. It is the first part since the stage is run in opposite direction.

5. You beat me to that ;) I agree with you that it is good and bad with fewer norwegians :)

Jonte
26th January 2007, 08:44
@ curry

4. It is not the last part. It is the first part since the stage is run in opposite direction.

?? It is?

Slipzen
26th January 2007, 13:08
?? It is?

Quote from Rally Guide 1 Chapter A1.4 Special stages 2007 compared to previous years.
"SS 16/18 Backa: New stage. Partly the same as SS 8/11 2006 in reverse direction."

Viktory
26th January 2007, 13:11
whoops, very true Slipzen :p well, I did say I was very unfamiliar with the stage hehe! Now the Häcken place looks even more spectacular as it is downhill!

curry
29th January 2007, 07:19
Hey Guys,

I have had to revisit my plan for Leg 1 as I now have to be in Service Park at 5pm for a Subaru VIP do (I previously thought this was on Saturday).

I will probably not get to Varagsen on Friday now as it will not leave me enough time to get back to the Service Park by 5pm. So I am now playing around with idea of driving up to Likenas (SS 5) after Hara before returning to the service Park.

From my TomTom software it says the drive time from the start of Hara to the finish of Likenas is 0:42 (38.1km), so I reckon I would get plenty of time to watch the cars in Hara before getting to the finish of Likenas in time for Mr Loeb to arrive.

I realise you recommended not going to Likenas as it is a long way away but from my angle it is the best fit; so onto my question about viewing this stage if anyone has been before.

I have been recommended to a downhill bend before the bridge into the Motorstadion (N60 31 12.92 E13 08 00.32), has anyone been here before and if so what were your thoughts? Apparently it is recommended as an official photographer & media area. I notice that there is a road off 62 north of Nolnas that leads directly to the bridge I mentioned above, it’s not listed as a access point - does anyone know if they will block this road?

My Leg 1 Plan:

SS 3 (Hara): Hairpin about 1.5km into stage (see Viktory’s early post)
SS 5 (Likenas): Downhill section about 1km before stage end
Flexi Service C (Hagfors).

Comments sought from the local experts!

Cheers

Curry

P.S. Loving the Eniro Kartor Webpage, great resource http://kartor.eniro.se/query?what=map (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/%28http://kartor.eniro.se/query?what=map%29)

Viktory, thanks for the stage photos.

Jonte
29th January 2007, 08:20
Ive been to Likenäs a few times, and the spot you are describing i quite ok. However, if you walk another 5-700 m towards the end there is a fast downhill, followed by a 90 left and after 50 m a 90 right. Its a good spot and not so many spectators.

Also there is a place close to the stadium (the track is very special there) where there is a jump, followed by a 180. Its a quite good place, not so fast, but very easy to access. Easiest way to get there is to park at the very first parking you reach. Then its not too long walk. I will draw a map..

Jonte
29th January 2007, 08:31
The map

curry
29th January 2007, 09:00
Thanks Jonte,

The map is a great help.

Do you know if they block the road into that bridge leading up to the 90 left/right, the road is the one directly above the 168,85 writing on your map?

Cheers

Curry

Jonte
29th January 2007, 09:08
Yes, they do, so you cant drive there. That is the road the competitors drive after the stage. But you can walk it, so try to find a parking close to it (i.e dont park at the first area on the map if you want to go to the 90 place).

curry
29th January 2007, 12:09
I’m curious as to what the viewing would be like at the end of the road from the town of Lidsbron off 240. Looks like it is a sweeping left into a 90 degree right hander (N59 57 19.78 E13 45 21.36). I can’t find any official document that says this road will be available to spectators; does anyone know if we can?

I can answer my own question on this one as I just got my program.

This road is blocked to spectators, so no access.

The first offical point apart from the start of this stage is on road out of Bjorkliden off 246 called Sangtorpsvagen (N59 58 46.2 E13 44 29.72).

Jonte, thanks for the heads up on the road closure.

Cheers

Curry

deano42
29th January 2007, 16:01
Anyone know of where i can get any decent images of the stage maps and road closures before i get there? Like i mentioned earlier this is a last minute thing and no time for the magazine to get here to the UK.

Hagfors tourist info were very helpful regarding accomodation!

Thanks

Dean

Viktory
29th January 2007, 16:52
The roads used for the rally close at 18:00 the day before they are run. They open 6 hours after the start of that stage. If the stage is run two days in a row (ex. Torntorp 1 on Friday and Torntorp 2 on Saturday) it is closed the night between the two runs, ex. Torntorp closes Thursday 18:00 and opens Saturday 17:00.

I have maps of Fredriksberg, Hara, Vargåsen and Rämmen (Liljendal) on my computer. But these are 2006 stages and all but Hara have changed a little for this year. I would suggest you use either the Eniro maps or Lantmäteriet maps posted in this topic and locate the stages there.

curry
31st January 2007, 08:25
Hey Guys,

This is plan for the Sunday:

- SS16 & 18 Backa at spectating point 1 (Road out of Bjorkliden off 246 called Sangtorpsvagen (N59 58 46.2 E13 44 29.72).
- SS20 Karlstad SS

I have worked out that I can watch all P1 & P2 cars through the second run before departing for Karlstad which should see me arrive 30mins before the start of SS20.

I am going to drive through Backa on Thursday just to see if this point is worth a look; not sure of my backup at this stage.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Curry

Scooby555
31st January 2007, 11:48
Viktory

Whats the weather like in Karlstad at the moment?? Is it going to be a white rally :)

I'm flying into Stockholm Thursday morning, and then heading up to Hagfors........ no idea what stages I'll be at as I'll be travelling with my Finnish mates who have sorted that all out :)

Whatever happens Curry or wherever you decide to go you'll have a fantastic time in Sweden, a beautiful country with beautiful people.

Anyone going to Norway to?? as I've never been there before and stage tips would be handy?

Rob

Viktory
31st January 2007, 13:28
Curry, you're Sunday plan is the same as mine, it will be a nice end to the rally.

Scooby, right now it is raining a little in Karlstad, +2. But as long as it doesn't pour down loads of rain the snow won't be too affected, it's still here, hehe. Should be better conditions up in Hagfors where the stages are (I think it's snowing instead of raining there). Anyway, people have said that a few days of slightly milder weather would be good so that the ground freezes, because right now the gravel is protruding in some (few) places. We'll definately have a rally, how white it will be is hard to say, I'm very positive about it right now though (think it will get colder again next week)

curry
31st January 2007, 22:56
Hey Guys,

Working on my Leg 2 plan.

The first stage of the morning for us will either be Lesjofors or Liljendal; I like the idea of getting near the end of Liljendal as I think the tires will be on the limit after a 35km stage.

I am looking at two spots, the official spot 5 just before the finish or at a road junction about 1.5km's before spot 5. I notice there is a another access road (unofficial) that is closer to this junction.

Has anyone been to these spots before and if so what did you think.

2nd stage of the day for us will be Vargasen, not sure about the 3rd yet.

Cheers

Curry

curry
31st January 2007, 23:25
Viktory,

Looking at your Leg 2 plan you reckon that you will do Varagsen then Lejen, I too am looking at this - but I’m am concerned about the time taken to drive this. My TomTom GPS software says that it will take 1:42 from Varagsen Spot 1 to Lejen Finish and that is without any traffic.

What are the traffic conditions like? I am assuming that around Hagfors the traffic will be heavy and also what sort of tolerance do the police give to the speed limit. Will they fine you do 5 or 10km over the speed limit?

Spectating spot 1 on Lejen has my interest, any thoughts.

Cheers

Curry

Viktory
1st February 2007, 19:00
My leg 2 plan and spots:

SS9 Lesjöfors. Spot 2, I've heard there is a jump almost equal to Colin's Crest but without the thousands of people if you walk in a km or 2 to the place called "Älgviken" on the map. Where Dalkarlssjön is really close to the road.

SS12 Vargåsen 2. Spot 1, the hairpin in the downhill section.

SS14 Lejen. Not sure where to spectate, spot 1 looks interesting as you say. it will take you away from most of the traffic too. Yeah, it's probably going to be spot 1.

You will have "plenty" of time to drive, no problems to make it, even if you keep to the speed limits, which I strongly advice as the police are quite strict on that.
Take an example from last year, I was at Fredriksberg 1 and 2 for the morning. For the second run, which started 12:00 we saw the WRC cars then walked back to the car. We started to drive out but realised pretty quickly we should have put on the snow chains for our tyres (we have non-spiked winter tyres, good for everything apart from spectating a winter rally) That took 10-15 minutes alone. we still made it (only just though) to the start of Vargåsen at 15:30 and this was with some traffic jams. The route we drove was from spectator point 7 (on this years map) of Fredriksberg, up through Fredriksberg and then straight to Vargåsen.

I have been to the spot on Liljendal you are talking about once, in 2004. We weren't at the junction (which turned right that year instead of left) but a few metres up. It was an ok spot, but we didn't really explore the stage that much.

curry
2nd February 2007, 14:03
Hey Guys,

Now in Germany, so getting closer to Sweden :)

Leg 2 Plan is:

- SS10 Liljendal Spot 5
- SS12 Vargasen Downhill Hairpin spot
- SS14 Legen Spot 1

Viktory, guess we will be seeing a bit of another accross Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

I have had another look at the times and I reckon we can do all P1&2 Cars in Vargasen before heading to Legen.

Cheers

Curry.

P.S. Any more snow?

Viktory
2nd February 2007, 22:55
nice plan :) remember to keep your eyes open for the flag on a fishing rod :p
I believe P1 & 2 are very possible for Vargåsen. Although we might leave just a little before, just to make sure we beat the big rush out of Vargåsen (especially the people from Colin's Crest).
Missing Wilson, Raies and Companc isn't too big of a let down for one stage in my opinion.

Oh and no more snow I believe, it rained a bit in Karlstad, but the snow is still here, just a bit more ice now.

Exhausted
3rd February 2007, 15:15
Could someone please point out the spot where both Stohl and Henning Solberg lost it last year?

Slipzen
3rd February 2007, 17:20
Could someone please point out the spot where both Stohl and Henning Solberg lost it last year?

I can not point out the pot exactly but it was in the later part of the Sundsjön SS. This year the spot is included in the Backa SS which is run in reversed direction.

Exhausted
3rd February 2007, 17:31
I can not point out the pot exactly but it was in the later part of the Sundsjön SS. This year the spot is included in the Backa SS which is run in reversed direction.

Thanks for the info!

Slipzen
3rd February 2007, 17:35
Hey Guys,

Working on my Leg 2 plan.

The first stage of the morning for us will either be Lesjofors or Liljendal; I like the idea of getting near the end of Liljendal as I think the tires will be on the limit after a 35km stage.

I am looking at two spots, the official spot 5 just before the finish or at a road junction about 1.5km's before spot 5. I notice there is a another access road (unofficial) that is closer to this junction.

Has anyone been to these spots before and if so what did you think.

2nd stage of the day for us will be Vargasen, not sure about the 3rd yet.

Cheers

Curry

Hello Curry. I have been to the spot near the end of Liljendal and I could really recommend it. My RallyMagazine have not arrived yet so I am not sure which spot is No 5 but I reckon it is at the last junction before finish line. From spot 5 you should then head 1 km towards the finish line and there are several good spectator spots. The best way to access it is to park at Värmlandsgården and the walk accross the lake Upplunden.

curry
5th February 2007, 01:51
Cheers Guys,

Thanks for the info

I am sure 6 Aussie blokes will stand out - trust me!

Lets hope is snows on Monday like the forecast says.

Cheers

Curry

Brother John
5th February 2007, 10:38

They don´t use this part this year! That road is for spectators this year!

Slipzen
6th February 2007, 00:11
First of all. I am too old to do more than two stages per day ;)

My plans are as follows.
Friday: SS3 and SS6 Hara. 2km towards finish from SP1.
Saturday: SS9 Lesjöfors 2km towards start from SP2.
Saturday: SS13 Fredriksberg. SP5
Sunday: SS16 and SS18 Backa. 1km towards the finish from SP5

Viktory
6th February 2007, 16:40
I just found the perfect spot for Torntorp! I'm not greedy so I will share it with you guys :p
I thought the road was blocked due to Vargåsen, but saw there is a way to get by this, and this link assured me of that: http://www.xpress.se/mkratten/torntorp%202007.htm (the pictures are from that area.)

What you have to do is (Driving north at Lysvik, just south of Torsby) turn tight at Lysvik, passing the entry road for spectator point 4 of Vargåsen (Ransbysätter, Bråten) continue up to a place called Lomåsen (check south west on map of Torntorp in rally mag) turn left go around, passing Gråberg, and then you get to the sign showing restricted access, but that is only if you turn right! so turn left and you will get to the stage! with very nice spectating spots if you turn left at the stage. I could produce a map.

Viktory
6th February 2007, 16:56
I have done a map, just to clarify it completely :p (red = Torntorp, Green = access road, Blue = Vargåsen)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/ViktorL/Torntorp.jpg

A long way to drive, but hopefully worth it :)

Jonte
12th February 2007, 09:18
So, now the rally is over. We had to do quite a lot of replanning during the weekend, so it didnt turn out as good as expected.
Friday:
1. The finnish of Torntorp. Quite fast with a small jump followed by a sharp left hander. The site was good, but the organizers totally failed with the bus transport. It was very frustrating, so I will not go back to that spot, even thoug it was nice.
2. Hairpin at the start of Hara. Great spot! I didnt realize that it was so much uphill.

Saturday:
1. The finnish of Liljendal. This is rally at its best! Nice, wide, fast, rythmic road with small crests. Quite a long walk though...(we where late).
2. Fredriksberg in the middle, right before the 4 jumps part (that they didnt use). A long fast topspeed straight over an open area, followed by a 90 right in the forrest. Flodin missed it completly. Only problem is that there is a lot of trees there. Unless the organizers do cut the trees down, there is no point of going there. But if they do, i could be a classic spot. 200 kmh into a junction is always good.

Sunday:
1. Malta - this is it! This place is why I love rallying. Ill rather only see this spot, than the rest of the spots together! It is soo f...ng good! No crowds, absolutley top speed and there is no place as good as this one if you want to compare different drivers confidence!
2. Backa - they switched area on one place. You go in by Degelungsbäcken. This place Ive teen footage from 1007, and it looked great. But back then the trees had just been cut down, so it was a great view. Now, 10 years later, you couldnt see much. We went to a straight with a small crest. it wa OK, but not one of the best Ive seen.

Finally, I went to the shakedown by the start. The area around the finnish is a heck of a lot better.

Viktory
14th February 2007, 21:30
Very good rally this year for me! Not disappointed with any of the spots really.

1: Torntorp 1. Went to the middle part of the stage. Nice downhill hairpin, then over a bridge that you could see in the distance.

2: Vargåsen 1. Very nice spot! Only me my brother and a friend there, and a family that lived in a house next to the road. Fast right hand, could explore inside and outside of turn!

3: Lesjöfors. Nice fast place.

4: Vargåsen 2. We just made it, 10 minutes before start. Downhill hairpin that we were talking about on here. Nice spot, only me and my guys, and curry and his friends. nice place.

5: Lejen. Found a nice spot with a fast right hander into a really tight hairpin.

6: Backa 1 & 2. Very nice spot, (walked towards start from spot 1) great view of the landscape! Also very nice spectating!

Here is a video of the best bits we saw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTXZXPvnHpQ

and photos:
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/ViktorL/?start=0

bt52b
19th February 2007, 00:08
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/ViktorL/th_SwedishRally2007015.jpg

Love the tricky sweeping downhill :s mokin:

Gabriel

Jonte
24th February 2007, 15:48
My video of the Swedish Rally 2007. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ApOCGnc94

curry
25th February 2007, 23:33
Hey Guys,

Finally back home after Sweden, albeit with a busted knee from skiing in Innsbruck; but hey that’s a different story.

My summary

Thursday.

1.SHAKEDOWN - Walked in about 700m from the finish to a clearing where the more adventurous get totally airborne – good first experience of Sweden.
2.KARLSTAD SS – Pretty ordinary viewing as there is not many elevated points around the track, however it was good to be there for the start of the rally. A must to get there early in future.

Friday.

1.HARA – A big thank you to Viktory here, the point is 1.5km from the main road on a sharp left hander. Awesome point.
http://www.summergreene.com/rally/hara.jpg
2.LIKENAS – Another great spot located about 1km from the stage finish. Walked in from the most northerly car park (about 1km) to a fast downhill section after a sharp right hander. Probably the best spot of the whole rally.
http://www.summergreene.com/rally/likenas.jpg
3.SERVICE – Subaru VIP tour was great

Saturday

1.LILJENDAL – Official spot 5, albeit a further 300m towards the stage start. A nice spot to get real close to the action with a medium speed right hander.
2.VARGÅSEN – 500m towards the stage start from official spot 1. A downhill slow right hand hairpin – good spot. Probably wouldn’t go again as this access road was used by people going to Colin’s Crest – far too many people and the reason why Viktory and I only just made it.
http://www.summergreene.com/rally/vargasen.jpg
3.LEJEN – 700m towards the finish from official spot 1, 90 degree right hander after a long flat out straight. Good spot, albeit lots of trees.
http://www.summergreene.com/rally/lejen.jpg

Sunday

1.BACKA – Official spot 1. Not a bad spot with cars coming downhill before crossing a bridge into a 90 degree right hander. Managed to watch all the drama unfold with Latvala stopping on the access road.
http://www.summergreene.com/rally/backa.jpg
2.KARLSTAD SS – See above

All in all a awesome weekend for a bunch of Aussies who were way out of the depth on Sunday morning at -24 degrees.

A huge thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, especially Viktory and Jonte – thanks guys!! I’d love to help anyone with New Zealand this year as I have 4 years of experience on this one.

Roll on New Zealand and Japan for me.

Cheers

Curry

Viktory
26th February 2007, 17:01
Nice photos curry! Glad you guys had a good time over here!
I would absolutely love to go to New Zealand for the rally! I would theoretically be able to go to the rally this year, but it would be crazily expensive for me.. My parents have already booked a trip to USA this summer too so I would have to go there on my own money in that case. Next year I will definately try to go there, New zealand looks amazing, will start saving now :p Another problem though, at what age can you rent cars in NZ?

curry
26th February 2007, 23:56
Yeah the rental car thing will be a problem for you. Usually it is 25 but you can negotiate with some of the lesser known companies - the end result would be a huge insurance excess.

Sounds like you need to organise a family holiday to NZ, the South Island is 2nd most spectacular place I have been in the world (Alaska 1st)!!!

Cheers

Curry

sudha
24th July 2007, 12:34
In summer season one can make use of Inland Railway. One can travel on it through inland card. The guides usually remain available in trains and they provide guidance to main tourist attractions.